The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Figured some here might be interested in this-- I got sick of the silly coil setup on the Esprit. The coils often get cooked and have corrosion/grounding issues given their position between the banks, and the plug wires are of a pretty questionable quality and hard to come by, so I decided to go the road less travelled and move to a COP setup.

So far, my testing has been very positive. Idle is much smoother, fires on the first crank, zero high-RPM miss, and if a coil ever goes out it's a five minute fix versus two days. Also, the benefits of a CDI ignition and a full spark at high RPM.

I may be inclined to produce a small run of these if anyone's interested. Though, they would not be especially cheap given the components involved (M&W box, mil-spec silver plated wire, etc)

Attachments

·
Registered
907 Posts
Nice, always good when something likes this comes together and works better than stock.

I got rid of my distributer and put crank fire in my 1972 BMW 2002...world of difference,

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is there a conversion like this for the Chargecooler 4 cylinder in my 1993 Esprit?
I don't have a 4-pot Esprit any longer, so I'd have to take some measurements from one for the wire harness, but so long as it's a distributorless car, it'll work.

·
Registered
383 Posts
What coils are those? I've seen a few home-made COP setups using Chrysler 300M coils, those look more compact. I know there was talk of capacitance and dwell time, not sure how these fit in relation to the factory ECU requirements, obviously, they must work well. Nice work!

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What coils are those?
They're reworked Denso coils produced by AEM-- essentially modified "dumb" 2-wire bike coils adapted to work with conventional plugs. They're run by the CDI which makes all the magic happen.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Chris O'Kelly has converted his SE to coil on plug. If you're interested you can contact him via Lotustalk - his user handle is raging fool.

·
Dreaded Prior Owner
801 Posts
4-cylinder application:

I used 4 GM LSx logic coils on my 910 fired by a Megasquirt MS3X box. Not really coil on plug as I put the coils above the fuel tank and just run the wires to the plugs, but the sparky distributor is gone from under the fueling area and there's plenty of spark available. Silicone Magnacore wires have taken the heat and don't seem to have excess RFI.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts