The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just installed anew stereo and in doing so, realized the passenger side door speaker needs replacing.
What have you guys replaced the alpine units with? I'd prefer something that is a straight swap if possible.

Thanks

Adam

·
Registered
143 Posts
I replaced my stock S4s speakers up in the front as well behind the seats with Boston acoustics speakers with great results. They were a drop in replacement and were low profile to deal with the limited clearances of the Esprit.

Dom

·
Registered
401 Posts
I used some JBL GTO series speakers. Straight drop in and they have been playing nicely for 6 years now. I should mention, that my car isn't a V8, but a 1990 SE, so different.Only thing is, I hardly ever use it, as I am listening to the percussion from the intake, the organ from the exhausts, the flute from the turbo, the hihat from the pressure relief valve and the guitar from the wastegate. A very nice quintet, if I may say so. On top of that comes the odd "ooohhhh" from myself, coupled with a big grin on my face ;)
Cheers,
Redfox

·
Car Adicted
152 Posts
The Lower door speaker is a 6 1/2 inch speaker that I have replaced in both my doors in less than 2 hours. The tweeter is smaller in the door than what comes in the Alpine S-S65C S-Series 6.5-inch Component 2-Way Speakers (pair) , so to be honest I did not want to cut a larger hole in the door panel, so I just used the woofer portion. All seems good and it is a direct swap with no cutting etc. Just unplug the old speakers and plug in the new ones, same slide on clips so nothing is altered.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Choices are constantly changing. Some become NLA and there is always something new. One great resource is Crutchfield.com. Very helpful and the prices are OK. Be careful to check tweeter protrusion or the grill won't fit. Because they are in the door and subject to water you should get speakers that can handle water (not all can). Don't go crazy and spend a lot of money, it will be wasted unless you upgrade the radio and the wiring too.

·
Car Adicted
152 Posts
Agree 100%. To be honest I didn't even notice the door speaker was cracked. I just thought while I had my door panels off to repair the window relays it was a wise choice to replace the broken speaker or it might never get done. Of course since the one was broken..... might as well do the other side. Once you pull the door panel off once it is really pretty easy and quick. I did not replace the tweeters as the new ones were too big and I didn't want to cut the panel. Not worth it in my opinion. Mark Seifert

1 - 8 of 8 Posts