The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking for some insight into Esprit suspension options. My current understanding is that the only worthwhile upgrade for the non-final-year cars is the Bilstein setup that came on those cars. However, ~4k for a set is a bit hard to swallow, so I thought I'd see if anyone knew of another decent coilover option that's a worthwhile upgrade over the stock or Sport 350 units.

·
98 Esprit V8 Calypso Red
310 Posts
Is it for mainly road use or track use?

if it's for mainly road and some track days...the Bilstein/Eibach is still the recommended solution. As far as I know, I think I heard before that the price is around 2K for parts instead of 4K (for a set of 4). I can give you some contact info to get the pricing. PM me if you need the info.

If for track use, you might want to consider some full adjustable suspensions, but those wouldn't be cheaper than the Bilstein ones.

Alan

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
If ~$4k is hard to swallow, you won't want to look into the Motons then either.
:no:

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Largely street use with the occasional track day.

I don't really have a problem swallowing $4k, I just don't see that much value in the Bilstein setup, and the car won't ever see enough track duty to justify anything in the Moton price range.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Look up the PUK site. German supplier for Esprit performance parts.
Marcus is a great guy and can set you up with a set of Gazmatic fully adjustables for well under 4K. I have them on my 89 and it made a world of difference in the cars handling. The ability to adjust ride height will enable you to eliminate the cars natural tendancy to understeer.

Also give Star Motor Cars in Houston a call at 713-868-6800. ASk to speak with Garth in Lotus service. He is the chief mechanic.
Ask him about tapered bushings for the Esprit.
Tell him Al Brussich referred you.

I'll let him do all the explaining.

Good luck

·
Registered
76 Posts
I just installed a set of Spaxx on mine. They make for a smoother ride with much better handling. You can adjust both ride height and rebound. It's like driving a new car now.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Another option are AVO dampers (available from Dave Bean). They have adjustable spring perches and damping. The advantage of the AVO over the Spax is that you don't need to compress the spring to adjust the ride height.

There have been a few people who've had problems with the Spax but there are a lot of people running them on their Esprit's.

The quality of the AVO are comparable with the Gazmatic which interestingly enough were designed by the same guy, Ron Avon (who also designed Protech shock absorbers). My impression is that their quality is not that of the Bilstein but then again they are much less expensive.

As a side note, it seems that every adjustable shock for the Esprit needs to be adjusted to it's lowest setting at the front to get the ride height correct.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi.
I got a set of four from Scottsdale Lotus, approx $1300. Bilstein, with Lotus Part #, speak to Andy for details
Really nice h/d tight shocks, good for track as well, good looking too...........
Pete in AZ

·
Registered
143 Posts
i ran LEDA coilovers on my MY99 when i had it. i bought it from a lotus specialty store in UK and had it shipped. it's been a long time so i don't recall the store. they worked pretty good.

·
Registered
59 Posts
SJ Sportscars has some "high quality adjustable units" on their website for short money, may be worth checking out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
there is more than one bilstein upgrade package for the esprit V8. The most expensive of the 2 options is by far the set that comes on the final run of 2004 cars. After Lotus stopped production of the Esprit they went back and started the Lotus damper program. Lotus, Bilstein and Eibach came up with optimal damper and spring setups for most of the Esprit line. The main difference as far as I know between this set up and the setup that came on the 04 cars is that there is no adjustabe ride height. You just have the choice of regular ride height or drop it by 10mm. Where as the 04 setup is fully height adjustabe. As mentioned before the setup with out the adjustable ride height IS WAY cheaper less than half the price. if your looking for more info there is a bit on lotusespritworld.com

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have the Bilstein strut upgrade but have the stock springs... which Eibach kit works because I can't find the Eibach part numbers listed for the Esprit V8. How much lower does it drop the ride height compared to stock?

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Any upgrade is going to cost bucks $$$$ and unless you are really good you will not notice much difference from a good, working stock set-up. Your money is better spent on a good driving course.
David Teitelbaum

1 - 14 of 14 Posts