The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This has probably been discussed in another thread in the past sometime but I am looking to replace the 10 year old Michelins (long story) on my 2003 FE.

The sizes are:

Front: 235/40 ZR 17"
Rear: 285/35 ZR 18"

I see from this reference:

Esprit Tyres Info

That the Sport 350 has a rear tire size of 295/35 ZR 18" so I believe this is also an option.

A search on http://www.tirerack.com/ using these two size options I see

BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW 2 and Sumitomo HTR Z II

If I would change the front size to 225/45ZR17, the original Pirelli P-Zeros are available but that might not be a good option.

At http://www.americastire.com/ I come up with

Falken Azenis FK453

If you have a V8, what are your suggestions or experience with tires available now? I'm not planning on tracking this car, these are just street tires and maybe an autocross.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I believe the KDW is a wet weather tire.. do you drive it in the rain often?

I am a firm believer that the tires can make or break a car. They need to "match".

I just picked up a set of Dunlop Direzza ZII for my M3... and let me tell you, they have the look and the performance. They are a soft tire, so they will wear quicker... but if you've had the same set of Michelins for 10 years you probably don't drive it enough to where that would be a consideration.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I believe the KDW is a wet weather tire.. do you drive it in the rain often?
Virtually never.

They need to "match".

... but if you've had the same set of Michelins for 10 years you probably don't drive it enough to where that would be a consideration.
Yes, they must match.

The 10 year old Michelins came with a set of wheels. I've only owned them a few months. It's a long story.

The hard part about selecting tires for this car is finding a matched set, similar in characteristics to the original Pirelli P-Zero or Dunlop SP Sport 9000 and in a size that works.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Semi-track tire chocie for V8 (probably not best for wet driving)

For my tire choice, I use the Nitto NT-05's and am quite pleased with them. I drive regularly at the track, but I don't like to change tires for track vs street driving, and I have found that the NT-05's are a reasonable compromise.

I get my sets at America's Tire (I think it's the same outfit as Discount Tire). The V8 sizes might not be listed in their online listings, but they are a Nitto dealer and Nitto does list the sizes as available, so I have my local America's shop just order them for me (at no extra charge). They're not particularly expensive either.

Knut

·
Registered
576 Posts
The Nitto-05 are a very good dry tire, and quite affordable. Tread life is a little shorter. They come in the stock V8 size. I also drove mine on the track and the street.
Got mine at Dicount Tire Direct

Randy

·
Registered
465 Posts
I recently got the Nitto-05's as well. I think they are a great tire, although I have been told to slow down in the wet with them, which is fine with me.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I recently put on some PS2s with 295s in the rear for a matched set. I love em but have never driven them in the rain nor had them on a track.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
I recently put on some PS2s with 295s in the rear for a matched set. I love em but have never driven them in the rain nor had them on a track.
Currently Michelin Pilot Sport, matched: 285's in rear. No rain nor track.

Front: 235/40 ZR 17"
Rear: 285/35 ZR 18"

·
Registered
667 Posts
My car originally came with the P Zeros and they were awful. No grip at all and vibrated like crazy. In fairness though it could be because they were old and very brittle.

I now have Michelin PS2s here as well. Tons of grip and completely smooth, though like others I have not had them on the track or in the rain. Tirerack.com has good prices.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts