The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are some old threads on this but figured I would add to the mix. One of my nylon track guides split in half as shown in the pic (not my photo, shamelessly stolen from an earlier thread). The issue seems to be old dried up grease that gums up the track, maybe combined with too many up cycles over the years.

The guide is not called out separately on the diagram, apparently it's integrated to the window regulator although earlier posts (years ago) stated that JAE sells them. Not sure if that's still the case. Red circle on the diagram shows which one broke.

Being impatient and not wanting to wait on parts delivery in any case I decided to give repair a shot. First I tried supergluing the halves together. Worked ok until I pressed the regulator arm ball into the guide socket (after inserting the guide in the track) then pretty much as expected it snapped again.

So I used 0.020" stainless safety wire to pull the 2 halves together. I drilled small holes in either end of the guide (blue lines on pic and diagram) and passed the safety wire thru, looping it twice around and pulling it tight to trap the ball in the guide socket.

Fresh lubricant and it works great so far. Maybe at some point I'll try and source a replacement guide. Does anyone know if the V8 model regulator has a cross reference (probably a GM part)?

White Wood Font Engineering Hardwood

·
Premium Member
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes...and if you have replacements on hand, your 'fix' will last forever! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
I'm hoping that just knowing they're available will have the same effect. 😁🤞

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I'm hoping that just knowing they're available will have the same effect. 😁🤞
Autokarma dictates that knowing a part is available means your window will fail open during a freak deluge miles from the nearest overhang. No matter which way you turn, the wind will drive buckets of rain into your car. The only safe route is to have the part in the glovebox.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts