The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, as you know, the Esprit is no more, due to the fire. Allstate went ahead and "totaled" it. So, I'm in the market for another Esprit. To define my search, I'm looking for a post '84 (well, '84 or later) "G" car in either Red, Fly Yellow, Black, or Silver, in good running and good cosmetic condition.
Please let me know if you know of anything. I'd rather buy from one of you guys than e-Bay.
Thanks

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
I could not be more sorry to hear this.

As you know that car used to belong to me. At least one, if not two owners between me selling and you buying.

I owned the car for several years...those of you who were at LOG 12 in Leesburg, VA and have the panoramic photo from that meet would have the photo of my wife and me with the car.

I sold the car, what, 17 years ago now, to a Dr. from North Carolina who saw my ad in the Washington Post (pre Craigslist, pre Cars.com, etc.). He flew into BWI. I picked him up in the car at the airport. Drove him back to the house. He drove it a bit, was blown away by the attention he was getting, then proceeded to hand me my asking price with no haggling.

He said he knew nothing about working on cars, and that he lived in a rural area of NC and didn't know anyone who could work on it, but he HAD to have it. He even brought a set of dealer tags with him that he borrowed so he could drive it back to NC from Maryland. He said he was going to spend the night at a friend's house about 60 miles away, then strike out for NC the next morning. I explained to him I was going directly to the bank and buying a CD with the money, so that if he had buyer's regret the next morning...too late. He didn't care.

That was the last I saw/heard from him. I'd often wondered what had become of the car and was surprised several months ago to find the new owner post up here, having bought the car. Trading PM's and VIN, as well as some distinguishing characteristics such as an accusump I'd installed and some Esprit registry decals still in the windows, we confirmed it had been my car. He even emailed me a copy of the handwritten bill of sale for my transaction years ago.

I put a fair number of miles on the car, I guess about 30K more or less. Took it up to the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix once or twice.

I was truly sorry to see it go, but my agreement with the wife is that I could have my Lotus for a few years, then sell it to use the money for one of my kid's college tuition.

Apparently the guy I sold it too drove it very little, if at all, and the current owner bought it with it having sat for awhile. I don't believe from the guy I sold it to.

Anyway, I was glad it found a good home eventually, and am very sorry to hear that it's now off the road for good.

I guess, consider this a eulogy for another lost Lotus.:confused:

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah Todd, I remember. I would've let ya know earlier, but my mind hasn't been working right since that happened. Sorry you had to hear it from a "complete stranger". Actually, I probably could've kept it and repaired it myself - it wasn't damaged that bad. Body was un-hurt, save for the rear diffuser. Rear bumper was burned. Wheel wells, undercarriage, frame, everything else was OK. They've decided to "total" it and they're recompensing me adequately, so I'll just let it go and hope to get another one.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, you had sent me paperwork on it and we e-mailed for a while. I didn't buy it from the NC guy. Somehow it ended up in SC, close to me. I drove it for over a year and loved it. Hate that it's gone.

·
'94 S4
238 Posts
I'd describe what I'm looking for the same way. Have to sell an '82 911 first. I'm sorry to hear you lost your car. Good luck in getting another. I'm new here. What caused the fire?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts