The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my "new" 98 Esprit today and while driving home noticed a tremendous amount of noise and leakage of air from the roof panel. It seemed to be concentrated mostly in the front. I gave it a brief visual check and nothing appears loose; but the panel just kind of sits in a trough with no deflector and I can understand how air could travel into the trough and create turbulence. I don't have a picture handy to show, but do all esprits have this condition, or is it peculiar to mine?

Tks

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
The weatherstrip below the panel is probably not sealing against the removable panel. Good chance it just needs an adjustment. Remove the panel, put a thin line of powder all the way around the top of the weatherstrip. Install and remove the panel. You will see where the powder transferred to the panel, and where it is not tight.

·
Registered
671 Posts
If the weather stripping is loose, JAE sells new seal for very little cost and is very easy to install!

·
Registered
667 Posts
If the adjustment doesnt work, just replace that seal. It's pretty easy to do.

Even if the sunroof seal is sealing air properly, I noticed a lot of squeaking and rubbing sounds from mine while driving. Replaced it a few weeks go (JAE has them) and it is now silent. Will probably work for your issue too since the new rubber will stand up taller.

It was maybe $50 if I recall correctly.

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's a glass top. The "other" top was not included.

Thanks for all the replies! I'll be giving it a physical exam today and I'm expecting to find the seals are for the opaque top; too thin...

·
Super Moderator
3,729 Posts
If the adjustment doesnt work, just replace that seal. It's pretty easy to do.

Even if the sunroof seal is sealing air properly, I noticed a lot of squeaking and rubbing sounds from mine while driving. Replaced it a few weeks go (JAE has them) and it is now silent. Will probably work for your issue too since the new rubber will stand up taller.

It was maybe $50 if I recall correctly.
This is good to know - my top has been squeaking since I got the car (88, 30K miles, July 2011). It seals out water just fine as I drive in the rain too. The seal looks great - soft, pliable, but it is flat and not tall at all. Will give this a try.

·
Registered
667 Posts
This is good to know - my top has been squeaking since I got the car (88, 30K miles, July 2011).
definitely worth a try! I've been slowly getting rid of all of the creaks and moans in my interior, and this was a big one. Totally silent once I changed it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts