The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kelly Blue Book and other common sources have limited data for Lotus, which makes it awkward to determine what is a good price. What do you think is a fair price for a 2005 Lotus Elise in good condition, with ~40,000 miles, and no additional options or modifications?

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
with that mileage I wouldnt pay more than 25k

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
(MSRP + miles driven)/(Price actually paid + kilometers driven) * 2.823 = actual private party sale value.

(MSRP + miles driven)/(Price actually paid + kilometers driven) * 2823.0 = dealer trade in value

·
Registered
980 Posts

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
NADA wasn't very helpful either but did manage to get this...
sorry but those #s are ridiculous. I would say a good low mileage 05 is worth 30k +/- 1-2k for options, wear and tear....

40k miles is definitely at the high end of the range for used 05s, and based on your post I am assuming no hardtop or sport pkg, ? touring pkg...that is why I would say $25k

·
Registered
425 Posts
I think a good low mileage '05 should be worth 40k just like NADA says, however the reality seems to be that an '05 in excellent condition with normal miles on it is only demanding between 31k-36k depending on options. If you want to wait for a buyer who wants your exact car you could probably get a little more.
I think that the '05's will be collectors cars in about 15-20 years so people better get them now while they are cheap.

·
Banned
874 Posts
NADA is simply outrageous and those prices have been there SINCE 2006:eek:
I would say not more than 25K.

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
I would imagine that at $25k it would get snapped up pretty quickly.
To get anything in the 30s would be doing very well.
It seems there is a crowd out there that has been waiting for these cars to get into the 20s before they feel comfortable getting one. $30k will be one of the natural psychological barriers for many.

If it were me, I would put it up for sale $29k plus change and see how it goes.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Yeah but you need to take into consideration if it has a clean title, whether or not it's been in any accidents, there are quite a few used ones for sale at a lower price because of hidden stuff like this, you need to be careful

I was price hunting for a long time before I picked up my used elise ~2 months ago, 40k miles is a lot and if it doesn't have very many options on it I'd say 27-28k should do... 25k would seem mysteriously low and would leave me wondering what's wrong with the car, which is probably something

With all the options I'd be surprised to see it fetch a full 30k though, it really depends on how the car has appeared to have held up over all those miles, paint condition, commute driving vs every weekend track car, new/worn tires and brake pads, servicing history, things like that

And just because a car is being sold at a dealership, does not mean that there's necessarily nothing wrong with it, I'd be scepticle without a lotus mechanic giving the car a pre-purchase inspection, which is WELL worth the money (less than $200)

·
Premium Member
4,550 Posts
I agree with around $25K for worth of an Elise with 40K miles....

As a point of ref....I bought my '05 with only 5k miles in perfect condition for just under $30K.

It depends on the market....and right now is a sh*tty market for sellers.

·
Registered
351 Posts
+1

$25K.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
I was price hunting for a long time before I picked up my used elise ~2 months ago, 40k miles is a lot and if it doesn't have very many options on it I'd say 27-28k should do... 25k would seem mysteriously low and would leave me wondering what's wrong with the car, which is probably something
you can get an 05 with about 15k miles for 28...there are not many elises out there with more than 40k miles.....not trying to lowball the used market - I think the fact that low mileage 05s are still selling at or close to 30 is impressive.....

I will say that having the book value remain high may be a plus as far as insurance payoffs...when mine was totaled, I got back just a few grand less than what I paid, after 2 1/2 years of ownership.....

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I agree with around $25K for worth of an Elise with 40K miles....

As a point of ref....I bought my '05 with only 5k miles in perfect condition for just under $30K.

It depends on the market....and right now is a sh*tty market for sellers.
best place to get an idea of what one is worth is RIGHT HERE.

(but you def got a killer deal if you got an Elise with 5k miles for under $30k, that's definitely below "lotus.talk blue book"

generally I'd say that 32k is the going price for 2005's
minus ~$1k or every 10,000 miles maybe
but plus $1k for hardtop, plus $1k for sport pack
plus another K or two if it's really really low miles.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts