The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Say you saw someone's car on the way to being delivered. And you noticed a flaw in the Starshield.

Would you mention it? Or is that something that the owner should discover?

I ask because it's not a big deal... not like a wheel falling off. Maybe it would not bother someone else? It would bother me. On the other hand, I feel it's part of a sense of community to say something. Or is that just being a busy body?

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
I personally wouldn't mention it. As you can tell by all the starshield threads peoples perceptions of it's visibility or invisibility as well as flaws vary widely.

They might not even notice what another person does. Pointing it out to them will make them more aware of something they might not have seen otherwise.

As the starshield installation is pretty tough, no way will it be flawless everywhere on every car. I don't see it as a big issue.
Chris

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Is this something that, if you saw before you took delivery of the car, you'd ask the dealer to make it right before you'd accept the vehicle? If it is something that you feel should be fixed then I think you should tell them.

If it's my car I'll take it with the messed up clear bra, as it is 6 months early. But tell them they took it to the wrong coast.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Here's what I did: I took a pic and let the owner know about it via email. I think I also showed this pic here as an example of where flaws might show up. I have seen three cars so far with this flaw in the same spot. Each car had it on only one of the two sides so it CAN be done in such a way so as to stay flat. The Ti silver car's bubble was able to be repaired, I understand. At least no dirt could get under the film. Hope you can tell where on the car this is...it's at the center detail on the top front of the car near the radiator outlet.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I'd appreciate someone pointing it out if it was my car - I might have missed it at first then be stuck taking the car back to the dealer or waiting until the next service and having to drive around with the flaw - it might stay the same size, or get bigger or get crap under it - who knows... I'd want all the help I could get.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This flaw will require the major section of the film to be replaced, and most likely another section. It's about 1/4" by 1/2" damaged bit where it looks like something hit it.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
If it were my car, I'd want to know. Though, if it arrives in such a conditon, it would be apparent anyway, unless they attempted to repair it beforehand.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Yeah, I'd point it out to your friend or acquaintance. I'd want to know about it, hopefully it's a relatively easy fix.

BTW, re: Stan's comment: "Hope you can tell where on the car this is...it's at the center detail on the top front of the car near the radiator outlet. " - the "center detail" is the plinth, where the front license plate would go, if one were to be fitted.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I'd tell Lotus, the dealer and the future owner about it. Why? Because saying nothing only benefits the installer. The installer is being paid by the buyer (via Lotus.) It's in the Buyer's and Lotus' best interest to know about defects and possible warranty issues upfront and have an opportunity to fix it (i.e. get the installer to redo the work gratis.)

Bob

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>>the "center detail" is the plinth, where the front license plate would go, if one were to be fitted.<<<

Well maybe that is another tough spot to film over but it's not the one in the PIC I posted above. Here's another shot.

·
Registered
542 Posts
you would do the right thing by mentioning it. personally, i've waited all my life for a lotus. it's a big thing to me, and probably a lot of other people.
if it were my car, i would appreciate the mention!

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Stan said:
>>>the "center detail" is the plinth, where the front license plate would go, if one were to be fitted.<<<

Well maybe that is another tough spot to film over but it's not the one in the PIC I posted above. [/IMG]
D'OH ! My bad....

1 - 20 of 37 Posts