The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you familiar with my "I think I've given up" thread wherein I explained my current job/financial situation, I think I've come up with a solution.

There are two cars currently at dealerships that match the specs of what I am looking for that are available for sale, namely a certain color with LSS. The issue preventing me from pulling the trigger and acquiring the car in time for the BBBS charity event in a few weeks is strictly financial a.k.a. lack of funds. Reading through all of the responses to the "I think I've given up" thread gave me the idea of simply borrowing the money to get the car and paying it back when I get on my feet.

Here's what I'm suggesting. Some benefactor or benefactors here on Elisetalk front the $ for the car. We sign whatever legal documents are necessary to insure that the individual(s) are paid back upon my return to gainful employment. There are a number of ways we can crunch this financially from I start payments when I'm gainfully employed to I start interest-only payments upon possession of the car, etc. In other words, I'm not asking for donations to get the car, simply a short-term loan that will get paid back when I am back on my feet and finance the car through my credit union, bank, home equity loan, whatever route I choose once I'm employed. Sure, there is some risk, I mean what if I'm not employed for 2 more years or something (not likely) and we could always set particular deadlines. In fact someone who is on the waiting list and has a car due in later this year could look at it as the option of taking this car if I am unable to find a job and take over the payments by the time their car was due in, etc. Like I said, a bunch of possibilities/options here.

Now the questions:
1) Is anyone out there with cash burning a hole in their pocket interested in doing this?

2) If no one steps forward to do the whole thing, are their parties out there interested in financing part of the purchase?

3) Do you think there is a way to set something like this up online to where people can either donate (ala PayPal) or finance a portion of the funds needed for this car?

We need to act fast, the BBBS event is in 3 weeks and there would be travel time needed to acquire either car and get it to the event.

Thanks in Advance!

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Mmm, good luck with this one :rolleyes: LaterApex it's gonna be hard to find someone to go along with this. You make it appear as if this charity was soley hinged on getting this one particular car. Forget the Lotus and continue with the charity and all the other great cars you will have there. You now even ask others to take personal financial risk and burdons. I am sure most children will be none-the-wiser to the Elise's absence. Your insistance on getting this car borders on hijacking of a charity to obtain an Elise. I am sure this is not the case but it could easily be seen that way. Most adults are not even aware of the Elises existance let alone young children. Just forget the Elise and carry on with the good work.

PS: What you are looking for is a Philanthropist, don't know how many are lurking here on Elisetalk :)

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
It must have been a great party last night:rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
1FASTMX5 said:
Mmm, good luck with this one :rolleyes:...Your insistance on getting this car borders on hijacking of a charity to obtain an Elise.
Ding.:clap:

·
Registered
970 Posts
Later Apex said:
For those of you familiar with my "I think I've given up" thread wherein I explained my current job/financial situation, I think I've come up with a solution.

There are two cars currently at dealerships that match the specs of what I am looking for that are available for sale, namely a certain color with LSS. The issue preventing me from pulling the trigger and acquiring the car in time for the BBBS charity event in a few weeks is strictly financial a.k.a. lack of funds. Reading through all of the responses to the "I think I've given up" thread gave me the idea of simply borrowing the money to get the car and paying it back when I get on my feet.

Here's what I'm suggesting. Some benefactor or benefactors here on Elisetalk front the $ for the car. We sign whatever legal documents are necessary to insure that the individual(s) are paid back upon my return to gainful employment. There are a number of ways we can crunch this financially from I start payments when I'm gainfully employed to I start interest-only payments upon possession of the car, etc. In other words, I'm not asking for donations to get the car, simply a short-term loan that will get paid back when I am back on my feet and finance the car through my credit union, bank, home equity loan, whatever route I choose once I'm employed. Sure, there is some risk, I mean what if I'm not employed for 2 more years or something (not likely) and we could always set particular deadlines. In fact someone who is on the waiting list and has a car due in later this year could look at it as the option of taking this car if I am unable to find a job and take over the payments by the time their car was due in, etc. Like I said, a bunch of possibilities/options here.

Now the questions:
1) Is anyone out there with cash burning a hole in their pocket interested in doing this?

2) If no one steps forward to do the whole thing, are their parties out there interested in financing part of the purchase?

3) Do you think there is a way to set something like this up online to where people can either donate (ala PayPal) or finance a portion of the funds needed for this car?

We need to act fast, the BBBS event is in 3 weeks and there would be travel time needed to acquire either car and get it to the event.

Thanks in Advance!

no offense but the Elise should be the last thing on your mind right now...reading the board for entertainment sake is a different story but any thoughts of buying this car isnt rational...just some friendly advise...channel your energy on finding a job and things will work out in the end...sorry if this comes across as being patronizing.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Why would this benefactor not buy the car outright, and then arrange a lease to own, or paerhaps, see it at "market" value? Sounds to me like you want someone to agree with a 0% interest rate, and $0 down, and a somewhat murky payment plan. Good luck, but I think that you are better off financing the car over 5 years. Best of luck though. :cool:

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
This thread gives me a idea too. Have you ever heard of the “THEN DEREK WON”T GOTTA DO A GOD DAM THING” Foundation?
It was established back in…. NOW.
Here's how it works. If each and every one of you could find it in your big hearts to donate as little as “EVERY FRICKIN PENNY YOU OWN” to the “THEN DEREK WON”T GOTTA DO A GOD DAM THING” Foundation then Derek won’t gotta do a god dam thing!
Remember the money you save could be mine
:bow:

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Derek said:
This thread gives me a idea too. Have you ever heard of the “THEN DEREK WON”T GOTTA DO A GOD DAM THING” Foundation?
It was established back in…. NOW.
Here's how it works. If each and every one of you could find it in your big hearts to donate as little as “EVERY FRICKIN PENNY YOU OWN” to the “THEN DEREK WON”T GOTTA DO A GOD DAM THING” Foundation then Derek won’t gotta do a god dam thing!
Remember the money you save could be mine
:bow:
Derek, I think that you forgot to mention that it is for the children:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
It seems like you want a specific car for yourself. It has to be a certain color, you want Lotus to give it to you early so your can have it for a charity event, and now you dont want to pay for it, and you want people to laon you the moeny for it.

At first I thought you were the person who was buying and raffling off an Elise for charity that they belonged to, which someone once mentioned they were doing, but this is not the case.

If you wereTtruly concerned about the charity, you would ask someone in the area with a Lotus to bring it to the charity event instead of trying to get a car for yourself.

Now I'm starting to wonder if the "gift cars" are really cars that dealers got stuck with when people found out they cant get financing when the time comes to pick up the cars. In this case I dont really feel bad if the dealers mark them up to deal with the aggravation and time they have wasted, but they should just keep the persons deposit and sell the car to the next person in line instead.

This is not the Carleton Sheets buy an Elise with no Money Down Thread!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
this is the most ridiculous post i've ever read on the internet.

I can't believe people aren't lining up for this amazing business opportunity: buy a stranger a car he can't afford.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Later Apex said:
There are two cars currently at dealerships that match the specs of what I am looking for that are available for sale, namely a certain color with LSS.
Yow.. Two cars "available for sale"? That's one well-endowed dealership. But at what premium?

With the prices I've been hearing, you'd be much better off donating the premium to the charity and doing without the car at the Event.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
DEREK - include me in - I'll take a piece of that

·
Registered
963 Posts
I've got about 100k just sitting around. This sounds like a good investment. Give me a call at 813-555-1234 and we can discuss.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Later Apex....

I'm curious about this charity stuff you've been talking for months around here. Please explain just how an Elsie fits in and what does the charity get ? I assumed you were after an Elise to auction off for charity, but sounds more and more like you're after an Elise for yourself. Is this about you giving rides at a charity picnic and charging for them ?

I doubt you'll find any takers on your generous offer of allowing them to buy you a car and get paid back when (if) you get a job that allows you to do so. People in that boat ride buses until they get back on their feet.

Steve

1 - 20 of 55 Posts