1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,530 Posts

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I owned 3 Europas, 2 S2's and 1 Special.

None ran for that long at one time. Sure they didn't have CGA back then?
That was one of the more rugged Europa's I've seen...normally as fragile as a box of Kleenex. One of the local guys has a 71 S2 that would need the wheel bearings adjusted after driving just 20 miles.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Well ... what was he sitting on? John Delorean's stash?

BTW, now I know why we have theses smilies - :sheep:

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,845 Posts
That was one of the more rugged Europa's I've seen...normally as fragile as a box of Kleenex. One of the local guys has a 71 S2 that would need the wheel bearings adjusted after driving just 20 miles.
I bet the movie car(s) bearings needed adjustment after that "Dukes of Hazzard" jump. (Dukes of Hethel? LOL) rotfl

·
Registered
933 Posts
Movie was funny; off-road maneuvers were dubbed with on-road sounds

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bet the movie car(s) bearings needed adjustment after that "Dukes of Hazzard" jump. (Dukes of Hethel? LOL) rotfl
A friend who worked with the brother of the then chief engineer told me that when it landed after the jump the windscreen popped out.

The way it's heading for the ground nose-down you know it's not going to be a good landing.

Thanks for the clip, I've never seen it before.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
Europa's are bulletproof !! They'll take a lot of abuse.

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
5,612 Posts
Oh so beautiful to drive, oh so hard on the eyes.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Oh so beautiful to drive, oh so hard on the eyes.
I wish that the negative comments about the appearance of various Lotus road cars didn't still bother me, but they do.

I've heard insults aimed at almost every model of Lotus road car. Elises insulted, Esprits called "ugly 70's cars", I had one guy ask if I "am going to cut down the ugly sides of my S1 Europa". Unreal. I don't know why people think that this is a nice or amusing thing to do? I'm probably just cranky today from shovelling snow for four days in a row, but these comments make me feel like someone's insulting my wife.

And you know what really sucks? I've done it myself with certain models. Never to an owner's face though, and I hope that I haven't done it where an owner could hear. But still, I'm going to stop. It really doesn't do Lotus any favors.

I'm not trying to start a little fight or anything, and yes I'm probably over-sensitve, but I guess that I'm just tired of hearing it.

So everybody have a great holiday, and tell your wife/gf and your Lotus that they are beautiful.

Jim

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
5,612 Posts
Don't get me wrong. I love all Lotus models and the marque in general.

·
Registered
773 Posts
LOL... "she's not reckless, she's SKILLFUL!!" rotfl rotfl :up:

Man, those poor jags sure took a beating too, trying to keep up!! :eek:

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,687 Posts
want to appreciate a Europa ?......... get down almost to the ground and look at one head on....... and realize that there's almost NO frontal area !

·
Registered
524 Posts
want to appreciate a Europa ?......... get down almost to the ground an look at one head on....... and realize that there's almost NO frontal area !
And a drag coefficient of just 0.29 !

The looks may not appeal to everyone, but I like them. Personally, I do try to avoid telling anyone their baby is ugly, no matter how painfully true it is... that's just me.

It does bug me when folks blindly characterize Europas as too fragile to drive around the block in one stop. Usually by folk who have never owned one. I've owned 4 (two S2 & two TC), and currently have one of the S2's. The other S2 was my first Europa, and I put 180k miles on it from 1974 thru 1983. How's that for fragile?

The only chronic problem areas I experienced were the S1-S2 rear wheel bearings and U-joints. They were just too small for the job (combined halfshaft and suspension control arm). So I just made them a routine maintenance item and changed them once per year (about 20k miles) at my convenience. That way I never had a failure. You don't wait for the engine to seize before you change the oil... this was no different.

The first Twin Cam had a weeping water pump when I bought it, so I replaced the pump before putting the car into service. 40k miles later, it was still going strong when I sold it (an act of stupidity I wish I could take back). The second TC didn't see many miles. I had two yellow clones at one time... one daily driver and one polisher.

In their day, I used to jump in any of the first three and take off cross-country without a worry.

The second S2 is a recent purchase... getting back to my Lotus roots. The PO set it up as an autocrosser, and it's pretty darned harsh as a street car. I still street-drive it, but it's not comfortable for a steady diet of long cruises.

I have never been stranded alongside of a road by a Europa. Those that have problems are usually garage queens that get dragged out only occassionally. Lock your butt in a room for a year, then take it for a brisk run once in a while and see how you do. Any car does better if it's exercised regularly.

Regards,
Tim Engel

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I agree whole-heartedly Tim, not just in regards to the Europa, but to all Lotus cars. I drive my Esprit AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. I mean, really, why not? Who wouldn't want to drive an Esprit?

Miles? Who cares, seriously. Give me 2 options, a used, driven, full of "character" Esprit with 50K, or one that's had enough time to sit and have all the seals dry up and leak every fluid, but yet still look like a museum piece, I'll take the car that's proven it's worth on the road, and has had proper maintenance on a scheduled basis to keep it in that shape.

Drive your Lotus cars folks, it's the best thing for them. And never forget, the reward goes to both players...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts