The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Modern Day Hippie
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious where they are? I've got to get one on a lift to check out the undercarriage, but the bottom is all fiberglass. Anyone know where they are?

·
Registered
5,356 Posts
Curious where they are? I've got to get one on a lift to check out the undercarriage, but the bottom is all fiberglass. Anyone know where they are?
Chassic Europa right?

In the front under the suspension pick-up points on the chassis. Do not use the center of the boxed section of the chassis without using a piece of plywood to spread the load. You can also go right behind the front wheel on the rocker, by spreading the load with a wood block.

At the rear, just forward or behind of the wheel on the body, again with a wood block. Or, under the tranny where the lower suspension arms attach.

Cheers,
Kiyoshi

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
Yup.....what he said.... that's what I do with mine.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Chassic Europa right?

In the front under the suspension pick-up points on the chassis. Do not use the center of the boxed section of the chassis without using a piece of plywood to spread the load. You can also go right behind the front wheel on the rocker, by spreading the load with a wood block.

At the rear, just forward or behind of the wheel on the body, again with a wood block. Or, under the tranny where the lower suspension arms attach.

Cheers,
Kiyoshi
If you go with the body lift points, make it a good sized block of wood, say at least 6" x 6" that will extend under the vertical part of the body at the wheelwells.

And a 2x4 of the appropriate length works well under the front part of the chassis and under the transmission if your jack is low enough, or you drive the car up on a couple of pieces of wood first to get it high enough to get the jack under it.

·
Modern Day Hippie
3,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advise guys. Hopefully all goes well on Monday. :)

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
i used the rear most part of the transmission, there was a piece of metal bolted to trans then dropped a half inch from the trans.

it lifted fine and held.

my question is, when i dropped it, the rear of the car stayed very high, and i noticed the rear wheels were tucked in to the car and suspension was stuck -open? and held the car high.

can i damage anything buy having done this? what can i do in future to avoid this? while still having access to the underside?

·
Registered
394 Posts
i used the rear most part of the transmission, there was a piece of metal bolted to trans then dropped a half inch from the trans.

it lifted fine and held.

my question is, when i dropped it, the rear of the car stayed very high, and i noticed the rear wheels were tucked in to the car and suspension was stuck -open? and held the car high.

can i damage anything buy having done this? what can i do in future to avoid this? while still having access to the underside?
:tadts:
That's normal for a Europa. As soon as you roll it a little ways the suspension will settle down. The tires just can't slide sideways on the ground the way they would need to, to let the car down to its normal ride height. There's nothing you can do about it short of getting scales or something that allow sideways movement of the tires when letting the car down. I don't think it's possible to damage a Europa by doing this.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
thank you

·
Registered
394 Posts
thank you
You're welcome. I just had one thought though since I don't know why you had the car raised. Did you change any suspension bushings when the car was jacked up? If so, the bolts that hold them on shouldn't be tightened until the car is off the jacks and has been rolled a bit so that it's at its normal ride height. If you don't, the bushings will fail prematurely.

·
Registered
7,243 Posts
Does anyone have any photos of jack stands in place supporting the rear of an Europa?

Getting geared up to rebuild the rear brakes. Cylinders, shoes, drums.

·
Registered
35 Posts
If you look at pages 3 and 4 of the Kid and my posts (16=Europa) you can get a pretty good idea of where we placed stands. Jacked it up under the trans/link connection plate and placed stands with hockey pucks under the frame on each side below where the shock cross brace is. That seemed to be the strongest place on the frame and worked fine.

·
Registered
7,243 Posts
Thanks. I sure appreciate the Europa sites and all the effort and caring that others have done, but going in there and trying to learn something sure makes one appreciate this site. It's almost like using morse code to try and get information from those relatively primitive sites. Here, "it did not happen if there are no pictures" is a mantra.

Will you guys be at LOG?

·
Registered
6,648 Posts
Thanks. I sure appreciate the Europa sites and all the effort and caring that others have done, but going in there and trying to learn something sure makes one appreciate this site. It's almost like using morse code to try and get information from those relatively primitive sites. Here, "it did not happen if there are no pictures" is a mantra.

Will you guys be at LOG?
The Europa Central Knowledge Base is an unbelievable source of information, but I agree, sometimes the guys there describe things in a matter of fact way that is hard to follow.

·
Registered
7,243 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yes we will be at LOG. Maybe we will have more that just one car there. Always issues you know! CLW

1 - 15 of 15 Posts