The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just picked my TC up from storage.
A quick check under the bonnet and I found that the breather pipe from the engine was missing.
The rubber grommet is still there, but is really hard so I am considering replacing it.
As you can see on the attached picture it seems as if it has been missing for a while.
I've looked for different parts and I can see that it is possible to buy a new grommet ot alternatively, a grommet that does a 90 degree turn, allowing the breather pipe/hose to be led to the bottom of the engine compartment.
The KN airfilters do not have a place where I can put on a hose and even if they did I would think that putting it on the one set of carbs could have an adverse effect on the fuel/airflow?

Thoughts or recommendations anyone ...

Attachments

·
Registered
685 Posts
My TC breathes into a small catch can. Easy to install, doesnt drip oil on the floor. Well, not from there anyway.

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
My TC breathes into a small catch can. Easy to install, doesnt drip oil on the floor. Well, not from there anyway.
What catch can specifically are you using, and where did you get it?

Thanks

·
Registered
39 Posts
I used a Moroso catch can and breather from JEGS. Had to custom fab a mount bracket from aluminum (bolts to crossbar), but it was a quick project.

Attachments

·
Registered
685 Posts
What catch can specifically are you using, and where did you get it?

Thanks
I got mine off eBay - there are many to choose from, including Moroso. Take your pick - this isn't a high tech device.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
WOW......you could have lunch on that engine !!!! Nice !!!:up::up:

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
I got mine off eBay - there are many to choose from, including Moroso. Take your pick - this isn't a high tech device.
Indeed, one is en route.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the help - as you can see on the pictures I also need to fit a tube or somthing into the hole coming out of the block.
I've measyred the hole to be diameter 14mm/3.8".
Do you have any links or ideas to what this part should be??

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks, Kestrel74! One thing I discovered early one — the alt pulley was throwing a small amount of oil. Some of it would even escape through the rear hatch vents and make it to my yellow paint. Hence, the aluminum 'chain guard' I fabricated around the pulley/belt. Now any oil drips out from the bottom of the guard, completely missing the engine. It's worked well for the past five or so years.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Thanks, Kestrel74! One thing I discovered early one — the alt pulley was throwing a small amount of oil. Some of it would even escape through the rear hatch vents and make it to my yellow paint. Hence, the aluminum 'chain guard' I fabricated around the pulley/belt. Now any oil drips out from the bottom of the guard, completely missing the engine. It's worked well for the past five or so years.
Good idea, but so is replacing the oil seal on the inlet camshaft. I think I'll do both.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Thanks for the help - as you can see on the pictures I also need to fit a tube or somthing into the hole coming out of the block.
I've measyred the hole to be diameter 14mm/3.8".
Do you have any links or ideas to what this part should be??
Go to your nearest hardware store and buy some flexible plastic pipe.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts