The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to start the Europa last weekend and the battery was weak. The starter engaged but would not stop cranking even when the key was turned off. I had to pull the battery cable. I checked the starter and it's fine but I think the ignition switch shorted out. Problem is, I took out my twin cam supplement to the Europa manual and I have somehow misplaced the wiring diagram for the Federal Twin Cam. It's a foldout and somehow must have gotten misplaced when I placed all the loose leaf pages into page protectors. Does anyone have a copy that they could duplicate or scan and send me? Would be much appreciated...Dave

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I am a new Europa owner myself.

Try Lotus Europa Central, then the documentation page(link below), then scroll down about half way. There are links to wiring diagrams for all version of classic Europa.

Lotus Europa Master Documentation Menu

·
Super Moderator
2,845 Posts
I tried to start the Europa last weekend and the battery was weak. The starter engaged but would not stop cranking even when the key was turned off. I had to pull the battery cable. I checked the starter and it's fine but I think the ignition switch shorted out. Problem is, I took out my twin cam supplement to the Europa manual and I have somehow misplaced the wiring diagram for the Federal Twin Cam. It's a foldout and somehow must have gotten misplaced when I placed all the loose leaf pages into page protectors. Does anyone have a copy that they could duplicate or scan and send me? Would be much appreciated...Dave
Hey Dave,
I've still got my copy and can get one to you. In the meantime, you can easily access the electric part of your ignition switch and remove it from the back of the mechanical key switch to test it. This is the same switch as fitted to the Triumph TR-6 and is very inexpensive so I recommend just purchasing a new one and swapping it into your mechanical switch.

Dan

These switches are notoriously prone failure so I am sure this is what happened to yours.

·
Super Moderator
2,845 Posts
Many thanks, guys. Do you know which years (or does it matter) TR6 the switch is from?...Dave
You want the switch for a '70-'72 TR-6. This is the one with the spade terminals on it. The '73-'76 ones will work too, but they have wire pigtails coming out the back that you have to splice into your harness. Here is a link to the switches that are available: Victoria British - Catalog T6 - Page 98 and you are looking for switch 0-842 which is illustrated as #16 in the drawings. Just in case your Europa has the later style switch, I recommend looking at your current switch. If it has a black plastic cover over the back of it, pop the cover off and check if you can see spade terminals on the switch. This is the early style switch. The only thing holding the switch to the ignition lock assembly is a small set screw. Loosen up the screw and the switch can be pulled off the back of the lock assembly. Just swap the wires one at a time from the old switch to the new one and install the new switch back onto the ignition lock.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome...Thanks...I'll file that in my Europa manual. I found the wiring diagram on the website that Kyle suggested and tracked down the problem. Up and running again but I'm going to order a switch because I'm suspicious that it is the culprit in the occasional "click" I'm getting rather than having the solenoid activate.....Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.