The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone talked their way into a European delivery of a US Elise? I'm going to England soon after my car is supposed to be built and I would love to pick it up there. My dealer (Boardwalk in Redwood City, CA) says no way. Thanks.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Lotus doesn't have a Eurpoean Delivery option yet. There are all kinds of issues to deal with - dealer prep, licensing, titling, insurance, shipping. They were never able to get a program in place for the Esprit, but with higher volumes, it may happen for the Elise over time.

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
Mikes right. Lotus is, or at least was a couple of months ago, working on a european delivery program. Don't expect a price break though. Take a look at Saabs and you get an idea of what they were looking at. Regardless, it's on the board but nothing official or in place.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Yeah, I don't really see it happening for a long while, I think the logistics of getting cars here and getting everything synchronized, Lotus UK has a lot on their plate. Perhaps in a year or two.

I should think it'd be problematic tho. Steering wheel on the wrongside for UK, seems it'd be asking for trouble to release american tourists with a new car driving on the wrong side of the road with the steering wheel on the wrong side for the UK.

Chris

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
If the postal service can handle it, I should think the rest of us can... give us a little credit. BMW offers EU delivery with a drop off point in the UK if I remember correctly, so BMW seems to think we are good for it.

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
I agree w/ Chris... Don't hold your breath.

Just sign up for the Lotus Experience at the factory and hire (rent) one for touring around.

Easier & better - fewer hassles (like insurance & shipping).

·
Registered
604 Posts
Kiyoshi wrote:

(rent) one for touring around.
Ann and I did this for 8 days back in April, 2000. You can rent an Elise from Budget Rent-A-Car. As I recall, it was about $100/day. That's what sold me on the car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts