The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Sold my Exige S
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check your shifter's inertia weight. I thought my shifting was fine before, but it's even better now!

I had my rear clam off last month for a host of small tasks and to my surprise I saw my inertia weight was interfering with a cluster of coolant hoses. The rubbing was enough to transfer the hose color onto the metal weight. Rather than simply elevate the hoses and hope they wouldn't sag again, I read here that some ground off the inertia weight (for completely different reasons than mine) and had no ill effects afterwards.

So, I dremeled my inertia weight off and the shifting is now like a glider chair - smooth with minimal effort. Honestly, I expected to need a little more muscle input without the inertia weight assisting, but my experience is actually the opposite given the binding I had before. Before, it was pretty notchy going from 2-3. Now I can do 2-3 with only my thumb and index finger!

I keep all the shift joints lubed anyways, but I didn't think the stock shifter could get any better. Color me impressed. No aftermarket shifters for me, but at least they look nice.

Attachments

·
Driv300mph
32 Posts
Nice! Will definitely check mine. Would it have been possible to instead anchor the cables out of the way so they don't rub? I wonder what purpose the weight serves

·
Sold my Exige S
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. You can definitely raise the hose cluster out of the way with zip ties or shims.

The inertia weight assists with crossgate shift motions, but oddly mine still requires way less effort than ever before. That may be due to the prior hose interference and/or the fact that the lever has 2 less pounds to move.

·
Saffron Yellow is Lighter
1,267 Posts
I like the adding lightness, but would be curious if anyone else has seen similar results.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts