The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've had my Elise for about 1 week now and on Sunday a gorilla of a passenger shuts the door pretty hard and the window explodes. The window was rolled down and I suspect it hit against part of the power window crank mechanism that sort of protrudes in the middle of the door.

Anyway, has anybody ever had this happen? I will surely make it clear that you don't need to slam the doors from now on!

Also, I bought a new window from a local dealer for $205 and I've already prepped the door to receive it. Cleaning out the broken glass and removing the old glass frame was pretty easy. So far, the first wrenches I've had to turn on this car have proven a pleasurable experience.

·
Closer than you think
2,222 Posts
Bummer!

BTW, what is it about the Lotus and people wanting to gorilla slam the doors like they were closing a 50 ton bank vault?:eek:

I have to coach each new passenger... g-e-n-t-l-e.....

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I've always wondered wtf people are thinking when they slam the door. As soon as you grab it, it's imediately obvious that it weighs almost nothing.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, and after the glass broke, this same person entered the car a bit later and slammed it again! WTF. I'm pretty sure that after this episode, no one but me will drive the car and I will be selective about who's allowed access! :) It just hurts too much when it gets damaged.

·
Premium Member
6,265 Posts
Think they should pay for it out of sheer stupidity on their part!! This ain't no Freightliner door!

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
I remember the first time I closed an Elise door at the dealers on the test drive. I thought I was being gentle but it did make a lot of noise. I got a funny look and the salesman said "it does not take much force to close these light weight doors. You will get used to them. I often open and close the door when I have a passenger." Now when I have a passenger I tell them just to watch me close my door before they try to close it.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I have banned anyone from shutting the door. I just stick my arm out and am like "I will close it."
That's actually not a bad idea. I'm going to start doing this. Now I just need to find a way to keep people from pushing/pulling on the door to get in/out.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,685 Posts
That's part of the preflight briefing.........along with not using the windshield as support.....( if you don't do that, might as well buy a windshield right away too )

·
Anthony
604 Posts
Thought I was the only one with clueless passengers until reading this thread. Sorry to hear about the window! :(

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, she's all back together now. The install wasn't bad and I'm sure I got every screw and bolt back into it's original space. I'm glad I elected to do it myself. I'm not sure I can trust anybody to do work on my car.

I'm going to need to get my hands on a service manual. That thread with the links only provides dead links (at the moment).

·
Registered
480 Posts
I have never had any of my friends slam my lotus door hard because they see that it is a LOTUS!!! They know it is an exotic car and they respect it 100% and most importantly they are car freaks like me.

On the other hand my brother slams the door pretty hard on every car we own Porsches, Subarus, Toyotas. WTF.... why do you always do that? Be GENTLE! Why do you feel you need to slam a car door pretty hard? Then later on he forgets and I ALWAYS have to remind. Pisses me off sometimes.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,685 Posts
It's because american car doors WEIGH hundreds of pounds a piece and you have to slam them to get them shut ! People are conditioned to doing that. You have to remind them that the door only weighs 20 pounds.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts