The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever experience this? Gorgeous Chicago day and driving northbound on Lake Shore Drive. If you know Chicago, this will make sense. As I enter, I see 3 guys in 'cars' all in a row:

Red 458 Italia
Black R8 Spyder
Red Maserati GT Stradale

They are all having fun hauling ass in the left lane, so....

I join in.

Fortunately not much traffic, but we moved pretty briskly (say 75 in a 40). I know, it was douchey, but man was that fun. We went from about North Ave to Hollywood (ends) - probably about 8-10 miles. Went to my meeting, get out and then head to grab a coffee. Pull up at the Starbucks and the 458 guy is there. Wound up having a good chat. Here's a pic with his car and mine across the street. And yes, I farkin' love that

He said he just 'picked up' the Maserati (dealer car) and the R8. And obviously me.

Pretty cool.

Anyone else ever experience something similar?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Haha I love when that happens! Never with those three makes/models together, but fun none the less! Its funny you almost build a pseudo camaraderie with those people even though you have no clue who they are!

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 458 guy was a young dude and it didn't hurt that he was with a REALLY hot girl! :)

·
Registered
553 Posts
how young is young?

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Had an impromptu car show at an Ice Cream Shop in a little town on the way to a vintage race once. Wife and I stopped in the 911, then a Jag stopped for ice cream, then a Singer (193x car sort of looks like an MG TC), then a Mini, then......

By the end of our stay we probably had 10 vintage cars and most of the town at the shop.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So where is the picture of the really hot girl?
That would have been weird! She was actually petting some lady's dog at the Starbucks. Would have been off if I creeped a pic of the dude's hot yoga pants wearing girlfriend! :)

·
Registered
606 Posts
Love it when that happens.

I had an event a few months ago on the 405 Freeway where a Noble M400 and Lamborghini Murcielago joined in. We stuck together for a good 5-10 minutes before we went our seperate ways.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
35mph over the limit in a 40 zone? Almost twice the posted speed. Just a random thought, but have you considered practicing what you preach?

Just one of many quotes that could be referenced where you preach to others about speeding on public roads:

"isn't insanely dangerous both to self and others to drive this sort of beast in that fashion on public roads? Again, I'm just speculating based on what I see, but I can't believe the owner of this car hasn't a) killed himself, b) killed another person and/or c) would up in jail - driving a car like this, in this fashion, on public roads."

·
Registered
905 Posts

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
35mph over the limit in a 40 zone? Almost twice the posted speed. Just a random thought, but have you considered practicing what you preach?

Just one of many quotes that could be referenced where you preach to others about speeding on public roads:

"isn't insanely dangerous both to self and others to drive this sort of beast in that fashion on public roads? Again, I'm just speculating based on what I see, but I can't believe the owner of this car hasn't a) killed himself, b) killed another person and/or c) would up in jail - driving a car like this, in this fashion, on public roads."

Fair enough, but...

Lake Shore Drive is basically an expressway - it's 4 lanes each way. Used to be speed limit 65, but was lowered to 40 to (true story) not have winter road salt splashed onto the trees that Mayor Daley planted in the median.

That being said, there's a difference between driving a car at 75mph (which many people do every single day) on a straight flat road with no cars coming in the opposite direction (huge median) versus driving 125MPH plus in a weapon of a car through 'the canyons' with oncoming traffic 3 feet away on the other side of the double yellow.

Notice though - the quote of mine you chose (creepy) ASKS AN HONEST QUESTION. It's not preaching, it's inquiring. Besides, look at youtube or the myriad other forums your friend has bragged on. I'm only about the fourteen billionth person to ask the same questions.

But I'm curious - did you spend time searching for that post or just retrieve it from the folder labeled 'Cheerleader' on your desktop? I see that you and your foul mouthed, immature friend are having some fun with this over at the pig pen. Enjoy. I'll be over here laughing at a senior citizen calling me a 'f**king d**chebag' and you and the other grips cheering him on!

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Yes, your posts are creepy. No, I haven't saved any of them, but I do have a good memory and remember your obsessive rants (more than a few) about Frank's spirited canyon driving.

I know how much you like to chit chat, thought it was a good discussion and on topic with your thread about speeding almost double the limit. It is humorous - preach one thing and do another. Justify it as you may, I don't have anything to defend since I don't preach to others about how to drive. Since you don't post on LotusSport, I'll let Frank know it's ok to speed on straight roads that are posted 40mph but use to be 65mph but lowered to save trees. Anywhere else and you best check with SwingLo and make sure it's ok.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, your posts are creepy. No, I haven't saved any of them, but I do have a good memory and remember your obsessive rants (more than a few) about Frank's spirited canyon driving.

I know how much you like to chit chat, thought it was a good discussion and on topic with your thread about speeding almost double the limit. It is humorous - preach one thing and do another. Justify it as you may, I don't have anything to defend since I don't preach to others about how to drive. Since you don't post on LotusSport, I'll let Frank know it's ok to speed on straight roads that are posted 40mph but use to be 65mph but lowered to save trees. Anywhere else and you best check with SwingLo and make sure it's ok.
Works for me.

Just make sure you light at candle at the altar.

And please, the whole 'f**king douchbag' this is overplayed (at least by teenagers). Can you at least get me a better insult? I'm thinking something like 'whippersnapper' or 'hooligan'. I'll ask my dad and my father in law - they are in their 60s too.

Remember - I've posted in maybe two different threads about that topic. You brought it into this one, not me.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
First let me say that I don't think fooling around on Lake Shore Drive is a good idea in general, especially in mid-day traffic on a Tuesday. However, at least 10% of the cars are going 70ish at any given time (and a majority of the traffic moves at ~55), so that kind of speed really isn't exactly unheard of on LSD.

FYI: you do realize that 20 over the limit is now an arrestable offense in Chicago (it used to be 30 over, but I suppose you were going faster than that too so there's not much difference), right?

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
First let me say that I don't think fooling around on Lake Shore Drive is a good idea in general, especially in mid-day traffic on a Tuesday. However, at least 10% of the cars are going 70ish at any given time (and a majority of the traffic moves at ~55), so that kind of speed really isn't exactly unheard of on LSD.

FYI: you do realize that 20 over the limit is now an arrestable offense in Chicago (it used to be 30 over, but I suppose you were going faster than that too so there's not much difference), right?
Yep. I grew up at Addison and Ravenswood so have been driving on LSD my whole life and you are right, left lane (and even second to left) is typically at 55-60 plus. Cabbies (which is a lot of LSD) are often 75-80. For those not familiar, it's basically an expressway.

But yeah, I got caught in the moment in a 'fun run' - the good news is that we weren't weaving in and out of traffic and for whatever reason, it was pretty empty.

Now, on to the comparison basis for our resident cheerleader - was it breaking the law? Sure. What is dumb? Perhaps. Is it comparable to driving 125mph on twisty canyon roads? Nope. Why:

- oncoming traffic is not 3 feet away on the other side of the double yellow with no median.

- driving at 70mph is a common occurrence - a good portion of driver do it every day. Hence, experience and control. Driving at 125mph isn't. Not to mention, drivers of oncoming cars don't expect to see a car coming the opposite direction at 125mph.

- Straight line v. twisties.

So, yes, there is a difference. Am I being 'relativist'? Perhaps. But in all offenses, some are more severe than others.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That explains a lot...
Hey, who let this guy in the building? :)

Good to see you back man!

Funny, but 'LSD' is Lake Shore Drive. No one really calls it that (like San Franciscans don't say 'San Fran'), but LSD is quicker to type.

I'm actually usually on horse tranquilizers when I drive :)

This song immortalizes it. EVERY Chicagoan can relate to this song:

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Remember that bad accident on the old S curve with the people on the way to the Springsteen concert? That S curve (just along the south edge of Oak St) was wicked before they straightened it.

Then again, it used to be (and still basically is) another expressway. It's 40mph and NO ONE goes 40, especially with all the cabs. Up until recently, it was 55, but they dropped it to 40 for, yes true story, sake of the trees planted it in the median! People drive it like the Kennedy.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts