The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this forum, i was just wondering does anyone drive their elise or exige everday on the north east? Excluding snow days of course but otherwise. Because im looking for a 2nd car, currently i own an e46 m3 with 98k miles and my wife has an xc90 volvo. Would it be unreasonable for me to think that i would be able to drive an elise or exige everyday except for snowdays like i do with my M?
What is the drive like in the rain?
What is the maintenance like for driving it everyday?

·
Registered
907 Posts
I pretty much drive mine every day except in winter when the roads are salted and it's fine in the rain but getting on the gas too early on a sharp turn will put the back end out easily.

Maintenance is the same as a regular car but more expensive if you don't do it yourself which you can easily. Check out lotusgarage.com for parts pricing. Tires wear out quickly because of the soft compound - my AD07 rear tires just lasted 11K miles and cost $550 on tirerack to replace both of them. The sport pack A048's won't last more than a few thousand miles.

Do a few searches on here and you find a lot of people who drive their Lotus daily.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Define North East, because there is a huge difference between say central NH to southern CT (winter wise). And if you are in the greater Boston area, then you got to worry about the crappy roads in the winter and parking more then the snow, because you will feel everything on these cars. Driving in the rain is no big deal but not fun either. Maintenance is a bit more costly then your M3 but if you can do the work yourself then no big deal. As buzzy said, tire wear will be your biggest cost.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I live in New York, the roads are terrible! but i dont mind a harsh ride i lowered my M3. My M3 lets me know in a way if im goin to loose it, will this do the same, or will i not feel it and all of a sudden be facing in the other direction?
Its either a lotus elise sc or exige, or a new gen m3 but i just want a change.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I drive my Exige every day in the Boston area. My 10 mile commute is better in that car than any other I've driven.

·
Registered
335 Posts
NeedANewCure -- I'm always looking for more Lotus folks to cruise with. We have a healthy group in the Boston area / metro west, all Elises though, and I'm being one of the few, if not the only Esprit. PM me your e-mail if you'd like to join us or impromtu drives / brunches.

Thanks!

-Will
'03 V8
Boston, MA

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I drive mine on special occasions. She's a garage queen!

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
There are plenty of my customers who driver their cars every day. Obviously if there is significant snow, it's not a good idea.

Tire select makes a big difference and I do suggest a TC equipped car if it's your intention to drive year round.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
I think North East usually excludes New England, which is afterall New England. So that means NY, NJ, Delaware, Maryland...usually. But then again I live in central NJ, which most people think of as North of me. But if one looks at NJ, Hopewell really is central, not South.

So, year round, heck no. the roads get nasty around here during the depth of Winter and that is no time for a sports car to be driving on the roads.

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
I think North East usually excludes New England, which is afterall New England. So that means NY, NJ, Delaware, Maryland...usually. But then again I live in central NJ, which most people think of as North of me. But if one looks at NJ, Hopewell really is central, not South.

So, year round, heck no. the roads get nasty around here during the depth of Winter and that is no time for a sports car to be driving on the roads.
I would think that Southern NJ, PA, Del., Md. Va., West Va. are mid atlantic.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts

Maryland and Delaware are usually considered to be 'Mid-Atlantic', not Northeast.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
nj pa ny ct is the north east as defined by our goverment

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
But our government is run by Bushies now, so they are considered wrong. :D

I always thought NJ was mid-atlantic, but was told I was wrong as that included NC, VA, MD, but who knows. The right hand coast is complex as it consists of 14 states. So who really knows for sure. CT is part of New England BTW!

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
PA, is not coastal, doesn't count :no: you'll notice that NJ blocks the entire entity from the coast.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
he did not ask for northeast coast, just north east. according to NOAA, pa is north east....:shrug:

·
Registered
263 Posts
I'm on the southern border of Stamford, CT...which I don't consider to be New England but rather an extension of Manhattan....but we better not get into that. ;)

I drive the Elise most of the year round, just not when there is salt nor snow on the ground. Winter/cold is fine, just avoid the sport compound tires. I try to avoid the rain, but just because I have another car that I use in the rain. The Lotus could handle it and has the few times she's needed to.

It's a very fun car to drive, especially on days like TODAY, with the top down. :)) It took me an extra hour to get home, I seemed to continuously loop around 53 and 58... was the wierdest thing. ;)

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I'm on the southern border of Stamford, CT...which I don't consider to be New England but rather an extension of Manhattan....but we better not get into that. ;)
I live on the NW fringe of the Hartford suburbs, and consider my property to be kind of a Manhattan embassy. :D

My car comes off the road whenever the sand hits the road after the first decent snowfall. I've driven it in the cold, but after the roads get nasty the car would get pelted by sand and small rocks.

I've also lived in Sleepy Hollow, and think that backroads in Westchester might be okay, but there's no way I'd take it on 287 every day. Bumper-to-bumper traffic all the time is just asking for something expensive to happen.:thwack:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I live on the NW fringe of the Hartford suburbs, and consider my property to be kind of a Manhattan embassy. :D

My car comes off the road whenever the sand hits the road after the first decent snowfall. I've driven it in the cold, but after the roads get nasty the car would get pelted by sand and small rocks.

I've also lived in Sleepy Hollow, and think that backroads in Westchester might be okay, but there's no way I'd take it on 287 every day. Bumper-to-bumper traffic all the time is just asking for something expensive to happen.:thwack:
I think driving anything on 287 is miserable. It has been under perpetual construction since i can remember. Thank god i dont have to drive on it!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts