The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to replace the wiper blade on an '05 Elise. It looks like the stock wiper blade is 26".

I noticed in all the previous postings on the subject, there are many people who recommend The Bosch Icon 24".

Just curious, why not use the Bosch Icon 26"?

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
When in the "resting" position (ie not wiping) it sticks off of the windscreen too far at the top edge of the wiper meaning it doesn't rest flush on the windscreen. IIRC the 24" doesn't rest flush either but by being shorter is not quite as prominent.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I have used both the 24" and 26" wipers on my Elise. The 24" definitely "sits" better on the windshield when in the stopped position, but the 26" sweep closer to the top of the windshield (obviously!). I went with the 26" blade just because of my height. If I didn't need the extra sweep area, I would go with a 24" blade.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
I have used both the 24" and 26" wipers on my Elise. The 24" definitely "sits" better on the windshield when in the stopped position, but the 26" sweep closer to the top of the windshield (obviously!). I went with the 26" blade just because of my height. If I didn't need the extra sweep area, I would go with a 24" blade.
Yea, the 26's extra two inches are non-functional - at least in my case - as they don't contact the windshield, or contact it barely enough just to smudge.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I have the 26". It works fine, and the only bit of glass that it misses is on the far right, for a couple of inches from the Park position.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
The 24" inch blade is lighter. :p
Good answer. I used the 24" because I thought the 26" looked silly on such a small car. The 24" looks a bit less silly, and works as well.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Um, have any of you tried bending the blade frame of the last 2" of the 26"? Since the frame consist of mounts for four pivoting sections, you can do this in a manner that the blade is self adjusting over the entire swept area. Can't recall what brand I put on, but they all seem the same in this regard.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Or you can just buy a wiper blade refill for around $3 instead of a new smaller wiper blade for $15-20 and have it work just as well. Most stores seem to only carry replacement wipers assemblies any more, but I just order Trico replacements off the Internet for a few bucks for each of my cars. Cheaper blades work just as well as the expensive ones (as long as they are installed correctly - with the retaining clip toward the center of the windshield - and I can replace them more often (but that's not really necessary either).

More expensive is not always (or usually?) better... :shrug:

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Um, have any of you tried bending the blade frame of the last 2" of the 26"? Since the frame consist of mounts for four pivoting sections, you can do this in a manner that the blade is self adjusting over the entire swept area. Can't recall what brand I put on, but they all seem the same in this regard.
The OP was asking about the Bosch Icon which is a beam blade. These can't be molded/bent in the same way as the frame of a frame based system could be.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
I have a 26" ICON blade and it's a perfect fit, no complaints, love it.

·
Registered
2005 elise touring ardent red
612 Posts
I just came back from an oil change and the dealer wanted $ 55 to replace my blade.
Seemed steep so I declined. I never used the blade anyway since I don't drive it in the rain.
I ordered the 24" bosch from amazon for $ 17 and should have it monday.
How tough could it be to install?!

Also the dealer noticed my air conditioner didn't work....I never
Used it so I never knew. $ 200 if I want it fixed.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Install is so easy... Just snap it in! I got the 18" blade one time cause I thought it'd be cool to have a small wiper... Until it rained :(

$200 to repair AC? I don't know what the going rate it cause I got my Freon refilled for free. Turns out there is a leak cause I lost all the coolness in 2 weeks :( - Gotta get that fixed at Waldir's! :bow: always helpful fella in Mamaroneck!

·
Registered
2005 elise touring ardent red
612 Posts
Install is so easy... Just snap it in! I got the 18" blade one time cause I thought it'd be cool to have a small wiper... Until it rained :(

$200 to repair AC? I don't know what the going rate it cause I got my Freon refilled for free. Turns out there is a leak cause I lost all the coolness in 2 weeks :( - Gotta get that fixed at Waldir's! :bow: always helpful fella in Mamaroneck!
They also said my brake fluid was dark and needed to be changed for $ 175.

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
They also said my brake fluid was dark and needed to be changed for $ 175.
Brake fluid turns dark mostly because the of the clutch, which shares the same fluid and reservoir as the brakes. "Dark" isn't a reason to change brake fluid. I'm not saying yours doesn't need to be changed, but just being dark isn't enough reason. I'm sure you know this already but dealerships/service departments/mechanics aren't always honest about repairs or with their suggestions...

My wife took her minivan into the local dealership, which typically treats us very well, for some recall work. While having her car in the shop they did a "courtesy check" of many of the vehicle's systems. They called her to tell her about these issues and started with the power steering fluid was dark and should be changed. Her response to them was, "that's funny... my husband just flushed and filled the power steering fluid last week...." service manager back pedal, back pedal, back pedal... I picked up the car and the 3 items on the "suggested maintanence items" list on the service report had been crossed out - power steering fluid, ATF, and brake fluid... all had been put in their system as "dark, old and need to be replaced" and all three had just been changed by me the week prior. He told me they had mixed up our minivan with another one in the shop at the same time... yeah, right :rolleyes:

Gouging... gouging... gouging...

·
Premium Member
11,994 Posts
"dark" is a function of, among other things, the rubber seals wearing...particulates getting into the B/F.

Those seals don't like water. B/F is hygroscopic and absorbs water from atmosphere. This is why we change b/f every year.

I do this with the wheels still on, right thru the spokes.

EZ to do, but don't use foot pressure. Many threads on this.

RD, Yeah, I had a svce mgr tell my wife her disk brakes needed "cleaning".

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
I put on a Michelin with the articulated metal frame on my Elise when I bought the car. Same size as original. Full coverage, no problems.

The original was hard from 6 years of non-use.

I am really disapointed in this "beam" thing. I have lousy coverage in the high-priced "beam" type on my Saturn. I have to bend on it all the time to tune where the unswept parts are. Going to get a pair (well, not a pair, as Saturn unses two different sizes) of Michelin metal-frames for that car.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts