The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sick of hearing the elise is about handling. So it is. But I do not pretend to think the zero to sixty time does not matter. It does matter. How often to you end up racing throught the "twisties" anyway? I have been driving a miata and never got this chance. However I have been blown away at many a stop light. I never got the chance to catch the dickhead and explain to him that I could beat him in the twisties.

Now that I have been blunt about this. What stock cars could beat the Elise zero to sixty is the Elise comes in at 4.8 seconds?

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
My suggestion to you is if you're that concerned about straight lines to go get a Z06 or something.

I would also consider putting a turbo on your miata, in which case you can hand z06's their ass..even one with nittrous. Im a big fan of miata turbo's, and they do quite well in twisties and straight lines. [email protected] daily driven.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I wanted a corvette I would buy one. I don't like that image. What I want is a sports car that is balanced. All I am saying is that 0-60 does matter. If the elise came in at 8.9 seconds it would suck no matter how sharp the handling is. (BTW the Miata is already blown.)

My point is this: I am sick of hearing about the twisties. This is a common discussion in the Miata world. "You would kill them in the twisties". In real life they never seem to magically appear when you need them.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Sick of hearing of the twisties? I dont get it? The Elise is KNOWN for its handling prowess...and its respectable in the straights too but not an all out monster...but good lord! Its stock! Its this fast now?! Think of the possibilites. Im not sure what you want?

Additionally all I can say is that in my most humble opinion, if you're miata is already blown and you're getting walked from a standstill or straight lines..then you're doing something wrong.

http://miata.cardomain.com/id/threefastmiatas

Check page two. Video etc. Daily driven, full autocross, revalved koni's/ground controls, corner weighted autocross terror AND it beats built C5 vettes with nitrous in straight lines....and thats our SLOW miata. The miata on page one, 400hp, also handles quite well but the turbo is just a hare to laggy for my tastes on the autocross course.

Bwob from miata.net always says, If you cant go fast with 90hp 900 wont help you. This is true.

As far as the Elise, if you feel its not up to snuff dont get it. I have a feeling if you're not happy with a blown miata you wont be happy with the elise.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Buck, I agree with you 90%. I had a 00' boxster and it was so embarrasing to get beat on the freeways by honda civics. The 6.5 0-60 was killing me.

The 4.8 we're getting in the Elise will go a long way to solve my issue in this area.

To answer your question, here are some 0-60 times for current production cars:

Acura NSX - 5.0
McLaren FI - 3.4
Aston Martin Vanquish - 4.7
Audi RS 6 - 4.6
BMW M3 - 4.7
M3 SMG - 4.9
M5 - 4.8
Z8 - 4.5
Corvette ZO6 - 4.5
Viper SR10 - 4.1
Enzo - 3.3
360 Modena - 4.3
360 Spider - 4.5
SVT Mustang Cobra - 4.9
Honda S2000 - 5.5
Maserati Spyder - 5.0
Maybach 57 - 4.9
E55 AMG - 4.2
Mitsu Lancer Evolution - 4.8
Boxster S - 5.7
911 - 4.9
911 GT2 - 3.6
911 Turbo - 4.0
Saleen S7 - 3.3
Subaru Impreza WRX Sti - 4.9

These were taken from the October R&T issue under their Road Test section in the back of every issue.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In fact I really love the Miata. And I usually do the romping. I am just pointing out the stupidity of that phrase. I think the elise is the direction the Miata should have gone. Mazda went the wrong way with the second generation.

I do love the Miata but the fact is I am a bit older now and the car is getting up there in the age department. I am looking for a suitable replacement.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Acura NSX - 5.0 Elise wins
McLaren FI - 3.4 Never Seen
Aston Martin Vanquish - 4.7 Never Seen
Audi RS 6 - 4.6 Never Seen
BMW M3 - 4.7 Close enough
M3 SMG - 4.9 Close enough
M5 - 4.8 Close enough
Z8 - 4.5 OK
Corvette ZO6 - 4.5 Too Bad
Viper SR10 - 4.1 I would think so
Enzo - 3.3 Never Seen
360 Modena - 4.3 Never
360 Spider - 4.5 Never
SVT Mustang Cobra - 4.9 Good
Honda S2000 - 5.5 Easy
Maserati Spyder - 5.0 Never Seen
Maybach 57 - 4.9 Never Seen
E55 AMG - 4.2 Incredible
Mitsu Lancer Evolution - 4.8 Ugly as hell
Boxster S - 5.7 Easy
911 - 4.9 Really? Elise wins!
911 GT2 - 3.6 Never Seen
911 Turbo - 4.0 I really want one
Saleen S7 - 3.3 Never Seen
Subaru Impreza WRX Sti - 4.9 Good. Kiddy racer

So in real life the Elise would beat just about anything I commonly see. The M3 is the only one that on paper the Elise would lose to that I sometime see. And this would be close enough that the driver would make the difference. So the moral of this story is watch out for 911's and that E55.

·
Registered
296 Posts
This car will not be a stop light racer. However by benefit of its mid engined layout and light weight it can be a serious contender with some of the top cars on the road today, if that is how you want to use it. Here are a few examples off the top of head:

0-60 times similar to the Elise (est.)
360 modena 4.6
996 Porsche 4.6
c5 vette 4.8
e46 M3 4.8

This a pretty elite category if you ask me.

Cars that will beat you with an equally skilled driver:

Z06 vette 4.2-3
996 turbo 3.8-3.9 by benefit of AWD
Viper 4.1

Now I'm not sure where you all live but I see most of these cars fairly frequently but rarily will be next to them at a stoplight with them willing to race. So the Elise is not the fastest thing on the road, and you will have to watch out for the occasional rice mobile but none of those cars deliver the pure driving enjoyment that I believe the Elise will (except maybe the Ferrari but if I could afford one of those I certainly wouldn't be sitting here on a Sunday).

Buck, hopefully this has given you a little more info to form a valid opinion on the Elise. I'm not worried so much about the 0-60 as I am with the 30-90mph with this car (as most of you should) because you can dominate someone through the corners but when they walk by you on the straight and you have to follow them through the esse's to get to the next straight only to pull away from you again, that could get very annoying.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
You guys have been watching "Fast and Furious" too many times. I guess I don't hang out with the stoplight drag racer wannabees.

I agree that there should be more to the car than just great handling. I think that's why it has great acceleration and tremendous styling also, all at a great price. I really don't care if I'm half a second faster or slower than other cars on the road. I'm buying the total package and expect to be totally satisfied.

If the Elise doesn't measure up to your needs, feel free to buy something else. None of the cars on the list offer the combination that I want (the only ones I would prefer over the Elise are way out of my price range).

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I'm not into street racing, but at ProSolo's they have practice launch sessions on Friday afternoon, which is always fun because you get lined up with cars from all kinds of classes. Thanks to AWD, I normally get a jump on pretty much anything (including a Z06). The only one that ever made me look silly was... a Lotus! It was a Super 7, which is of course quite different from an Elise, but a lightweight RWD car with sticky tires can be launched quickly.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Buck,
I guess I'm one of the liars, I lost interest in stoplight racing before I was 20, grow up. MOre to a car than freakin 0-60 times. YES THE ELISE IS ABOUT THE HANDLING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Drive one sometime.

Sounds like you just want a car to brag about 0-60 times. The Elise is not a street racer.

You should be hangin out on the fast and furious boards with the teenage ricers,

Chris

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
a) This car is not for you, but I could be wrong.

b) If you can launch the car to get the best possible 0-60 times and still have a clutch, more power to you..

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
I use to hear the "beat them in the twisties" slogan at another board I use to visit. That slogan is usually used to cover the inadequacies of a car.

Truth is, acceleration is a key part of a sports cars balance. Fortunately, the Elise should be competitive in the acceleration department. However, while it may do '60 in 4.8 seconds, the Elise isn't designed to be a drag racer. Low torque MAY require high rpm launches. But to the person wanting to, the Elise should (hopefully) be quick of the line too.

In terms of sports cars, I think the Elise is one of the best bargains, offering handling, acceleration, stunning looks, and a history for under $40,000! Now if would only get here already!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
zvezdah1 said:
Buck,
I guess I'm one of the liars, I lost interest in stoplight racing before I was 20, grow up. MOre to a car than freakin 0-60 times. YES THE ELISE IS ABOUT THE HANDLING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Drive one sometime.

Sounds like you just want a car to brag about 0-60 times. The Elise is not a street racer.

You should be hangin out on the fast and furious boards with the teenage ricers,

Chris
Chris you are telling me that you would buy an elise if it had the acceleration of a geo? You are preaching to the choir as far as handling goes. Yes handling is very important, but it is only a component of the package.

As far as the ricers go, most people judge this as either right or wrong. I do not see things black and white as all of the enlighted on this board do. If performance is rice than I am all for it. If it is making a car gaudy I am against it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
shhhhhh
yep beat them in the twisties. you got it. if you want straight line hp a civic with a turbo and slicks might be the answer. This car IS about handling first and foremost. It can deliver some great inline speed but that ISN'T what the Elise is about. Check out a book on Lotus and see how they wrote the Handling book that every manufactuer can only dream about. Straight line no. I own a miata and you can be assured the car can't blow anyones doors off in a straight line...but she can take the corners...abeit not even close to an elise. But the option for the mini van with cupholders is always available.

·
Registered
296 Posts
mapes said:
Since the Fed car has the Toy lump does that make our car a 'rice mobile'!;)
I was wondering if anybody would catch that. Many things go into making a car rice though not only it's country of origin. If the spoiler does nothing but slow the car down and/or make it resemble a shopping cart and the intakes on the side only look like intakes only to go nowhere, than we may have to worry about it. But we should be in the clear.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
IT's all this emphasis being placed on 0-60 and 1/4 mile times that gets me. It's like losing site of the forest for the trees. This car is first and foremost a handling car. Lotus race cars throughout history (as CLyde mentions) have not always been the fastest, but have made up for it in the handling.

No, I wouldn't by the car if had 0-60 times of a geo, by the same token, it wouldn't really matter if the 0-60 time was 3. These things are purely to establish bragging rights. Could care less. For speed I'll stick with sportbikes - now if you want to talk 0-60 times, that's where you need to be!

The ricer guys (at least super2ner tv, and the NOPI show seem to indicate) are all about spending tens of thousands of $$$$ to turn a nondescript car into something with a gazillion hp, ut spend a relatively insignificant amount of time on the suspension/tires.

Chris who's quite happy with the 0-60 times of the elise AND the handling too ;)

1 - 20 of 52 Posts