The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Everything worked fine, no AC problems no nothing.
Then, one day, oil cooler hose failure = replace engine.

After the engine is replaced by a Toyota garage, i ride home and try the AC = only hot air...

The garage tells me they didnt do anything/fixed/replaced/touched about the AC and they wont intervene since they say its not their fault somethign went wrong with it. ok...whatever.

I go to a Lotus garage, and they claim Toyota had to disconnect something in the AC to replace the engine, and while they replaced the engine the AC filter somehow got dirty and clogged, effectively blocking passage of fresh air into the car. So they say i have to replace the filter and it will be allright..

Now, its true the AC system works just fine, ive even had the liquids/gas stuff checked.

I was thinking, maybe its just the air flaps that stopped moving? How do i easely check this?

Does it seem right to the experts here that a dirty filter will just give hot air?

One of the things that worry me is that when i set it on cold temp, there is only hot air coming out, as this used to be outside temp before the engine replacement. so i dont see what this has to do wit AC filter, as its not even being put on,etc.

So, in short, all systems work fine, compressor, clutch , tick etc but i only get HOT air, even when the AC is off.

what could be wrong, according to what ive written?

ps: exige 2005 mkII, touring pack

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Hi guys,

Everything worked fine, no AC problems no nothing.
Then, one day, oil cooler hose failure = replace engine.

After the engine is replaced by a Toyota garage, i ride home and try the AC = only hot air...

The garage tells me they didnt do anything/fixed/replaced/touched about the AC and they wont intervene since they say its not their fault somethign went wrong with it. ok...whatever.

I go to a Lotus garage, and they claim Toyota had to disconnect something in the AC to replace the engine, and while they replaced the engine the AC filter somehow got dirty and clogged, effectively blocking passage of fresh air into the car. So they say i have to replace the filter and it will be allright..

Now, its true the AC system works just fine, ive even had the liquids/gas stuff checked.

I was thinking, maybe its just the air flaps that stopped moving? How do i easely check this?

Does it seem right to the experts here that a dirty filter will just give hot air?

One of the things that worry me is that when i set it on cold temp, there is only hot air coming out, as this used to be outside temp before the engine replacement. so i dont see what this has to do wit AC filter, as its not even being put on,etc.

So, in short, all systems work fine, compressor, clutch , tick etc but i only get HOT air, even when the AC is off.

what could be wrong, according to what ive written?

ps: exige 2005 mkII, touring pack
Are you sure that the system is correctly charged with refrigerant, as the AC lines to the compressor were probably disconnected upon installing the engine.
The AC system has no filter.
You can see the flap by removing the main 4" duct as it comes out of the front HVAC box. I am not sure how difficult this is to do on an Exige.
Michael

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks Michael

Yes it was correctly recharged i've witnessed it myself

R u sure about the filter? Because my dealer located the correct part etc on his computer on the AC 'blueprint', then showed me the graph of it and its price.

I'll try to unscrew the two bolts and remove the central air vent to check the flaps. (not sure what hvAC means though)

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
thanks Michael

Yes it was correctly recharged i've witnessed it myself

R u sure about the filter? Because my dealer located the correct part etc on his computer on the AC 'blueprint', then showed me the graph of it and its price.

I'll try to unscrew the two bolts and remove the central air vent to check the flaps. (not sure what hvAC means though)
HVAC = Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning
Federal cars have no AC filter, however you are in Belgium with a Euro spec car..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So here's some feedback: the car got serviced for AC

they replaced every bit of filter in there and replaced the small motor that operates the flaps (it was broken and dirty), put in new liquids and a 'sealant' to get rid of any leaks, they also covered the air intakes with a bit of nylon and that's it. All OK now.

So it was the AC filter and the AC flaps motor.

labour costs to dismount the front clam lol..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts