The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a copy of Evo magazine (for those of you who are not familiar with it, it's a UK high-end car magazine) to read on my flight home from Hong Kong.

This is their car of the year edition and for the first time the winning slot was a tie. The winners were...

The Lotus Exige V6 and the Pagani Huayra. :UK:

This test is all about the thrill of the vehicle around the track and on roads and price is not factored in to the selection, but the Huayra costs a cool $1.15M versus $85k (converted price) for the Exige.

I know we can't get it here, but this is still a little bit of good news for Lotus during difficult times. Now they just need to start getting them in to the hands of customers.

p.s. At that price, I hope the Pagani comes with a language coach to teach you how to pronounce the name!

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Chris Harris called it.

And its WHY RUH

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A bit of Googling tells me that "Huayra-tata" was an Andean god, the "Father of Wind".

Strange, I thought the god "Beanz" was the father of wind!

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
12 Posts

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Shocker. A British magazine picked a British car as it's COTY.

Shocker!

I truly love all the Brit mags - Car, Evo, Top Gear, Thoroughbred and Classics, Octane and there is NO better airplane reading material.

But...their borderline jingoistic Brit Love gets a little stale.

I'd have to see the criteria, but really?

The Exige V6 appears to be a fantastic car, but.....about 20 people on the planet will buy them, it's offered from a company that will probably be t*ts up in about 2 years and it can't be sold for street use in the largest auto market on the planet.

So, while it's a great honor, I'd like to see these mags pick something a bit more practical as COTY.

This month's EVO is cool too - the new McLaren Hypercar is featured and lots on the awesome BAC Mono.

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
This doesn't feel right to me. I'm a long time subscriber and reader of EVO and it feels to me like the 911 is the car that takes the prize more often than any other. It seems like British cars seldom take the top prize.

dave

Shocker!

I truly love all the Brit mags - Car, Evo, Top Gear, Thoroughbred and Classics, Octane and there is NO better airplane reading material.

But...their borderline jingoistic Brit Love gets a little stale.

I'd have to see the criteria, but really?

The Exige V6 appears to be a fantastic car, but.....about 20 people on the planet will buy them, it's offered from a company that will probably be t*ts up in about 2 years and it can't be sold for street use in the largest auto market on the planet.

So, while it's a great honor, I'd like to see these mags pick something a bit more practical as COTY.

This month's EVO is cool too - the new McLaren Hypercar is featured and lots on the awesome BAC Mono.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your knee-jerk reaction is completely out of line with the facts.

1998: Porsche (Germany)
1999: Porsche (Germany)
2000: Porsche (Germany)
2001: Pagani (Italy)
2002: Honda (Japan)
2003: Porsche (Germany)
2004: Porsche (Germany)
2005: Ford (USA)
2006: Ferrari (Italy)
2007: Porsche (Germany)
2008: Nissan (Japan)
2009: Lotus (UK)
2010: Porsche (Germany)
2011: Porsche (Germany)

So that's just two British wins in their 15 year history.

If anything, I'd have expected that number to be higher. British motoring journalists are likely to favor the sensibilities shared by British car makers. This doesn't mean parochialism, it means a common automotive culture.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Evo magazine is very deliberately NOT about the popularity or every day utility of a car. It's a magazine designed to appeal to reader's automotive fantasies. Their CotY is selected based on driving thrills, not anticipated sales figures.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Exactly. If anything EVO is one of the most unbiased magazines I've read when I pick it up. Definitely more credible than Motor Trend and C&D and the like which offer to the highest bidder.

·
Banned
3,229 Posts
A bit of Googling tells me that "Huayra-tata" was an Andean god, the "Father of Wind".

Strange, I thought the god "Beanz" was the father of wind!
That's because "Beanz" is the god of warm air and "Huayra-tata" is the god of cool air. :D

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Ok, no reason to get chippy.

I stand corrected.

Honestly, I read a bajillion car mags and for whatever reason, I seemed to think that CAR ranked that way. I do however, recall reading lots of articles/features in Car, Evo, Octane and Top Gear in which British cars are praised. Seems that they always rank tops in those 'we drove 6 cars' kinda comparisons. Again, I could be wrong - just thinking I remember it that way.

Oh well, doesn't really matter anyway. We'll never see that car stateside :(

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
That British bias is more apparent in TGUK

1 - 12 of 12 Posts