The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a day off today so I stopped by the Mitsu dealer who had an Evo RS in stock. Stripped down, no radio, no power windows, no sunroof, etc., etc. The car was a gas and handled well. Still has the Mitsu build quality though. Seats are among the best I've sat in and the suspension setup felt near perfect.The monroni was an amazingly low 27K but the dealer had a 6K pack sticker on the window(yeah sure) and the sales guy was immediately ready to cave as soon as I mentioned it.
Final outcome still patiently waiting to pay about 18K more for my ultra exotic little baby Elise....

·
Registered
539 Posts
Anyone buying an Evo RS (or Evo 8, or STI) as an Elise replacement will be sorely dissapointed. Virtually everything about them is different: drive setup, engine location, doors, size, weight, balance, appeal...

IMO: owning a WRX or STI for messy weather and Elise for fun = best combo.

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
I traded my Boxster for an Evo last December with the intent of the Evo being the perfect stablemate for the Elise. I've been extremely happy with the Evo. It is built well and has great power, handling, and brakes and at the same time is comfortable for four and can haul a lot of groceries :).

It's also a TON of fun in the Wisconsin snow.

--Josh

·
Supporting Vendor
4,290 Posts
perryeyges said:
Still has the Mitsu build quality though.
Not sure what you mean about build quality. :confused: My EVO is screwed together quite well. The body panels and interior all fit nicely. The car is built/assembled very well.

Now if you are refering to the quality of the interior materials, I'd agree that it is no Audi/BMW. If you want luxury/comfort a M3/S4 would be a better alternative.

My EVO rocks. I still can't get over the performance! A true spiritually successor to the e30 M3...plus I can haul my 3 girls in their car seats! :cool:

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Shinoo,
I WAS referring to the interior trim quality and the thichness of the sheet metal. BUT I guess that IS what helps make the car a lightweight...
Still driving my FAT Audis..(and I do mean heavy)

·
Registered
37 Posts
The Evo RS and Elise are entirely different beasts. Figure out what you'd like to accomplish then buy accordingly.

IMO,

Sunday driver in the twisties/canyons: Elise, S2000

Sometime track, sometime twisty/canyon, snow, wet weather: Evolution

Pure track: Porsche GT2, Porsche 911 Turbo S

And I beg to differ with Snowphun. If you're a maple tapper in Vermont or a sometime snow bunny then I'd go for a Subaru Legacy or Forester but if you're looking for AWD performance suited for the road course, the Evolution wins hand down.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Perry: Where did you test drive the RS? El Cerrito Mitsubishi? I was there on saturday, and drove an Evo XIII that had been traded back in. It was my first experience as an Evo driver (though I have been a passenger before).

My first Elise test drive will be tomorrow. By tomorrow night I hope to have my final decision on which car I'll buy. The Elise better be mind-blowing, because the Evo certainly was (at least in respect to my modestly street-tuned E36 M3).

I didn't like the Evo's pedal set-up compared to my M3; you have to be HARD on the brake to heel-toe in my particular heal-toe style. I also found the clutch pedal to be too light, and I was thrown off by how freely the engine revs (this made the acelerator feel too light as well, again compared to my M3).

The Evo's seats are incredible, awesome. But I did not like their adjustability, or lack thereof. I like a lower seat. (In my M3, I lower the seat to the floor, essentially).

As far as engine/exhuast sound, the Evo has nothing on my inline-6 with an intake and Dinan exhaust. The Evo sounds like a 4; no getting around it, at least if you stay stock. But that's where my negatives end.

My god, the Evo just pulls -- it pulls like a beast. It really responds to the "drive it like you hate it" approach. Fast? Indeed. It was tangibly, palpably faster than my E36. And that's just the accelerator factor. As for cornering/handling/steering feel, I was equally impressed. I love -- LOVE! -- the quick steering ratio, and felt it was the most tossable, confidence-inspiring, forgiving car I have ever driven. I'd much rather drive second-gear corners at 10/10ths in the Evo than in my current car.

The brakes? Oh my god. Great brake feel, and the actual stopping power was noticeably better than my M3, and at least as good (oif not better) than the various 996/911s I have driven. Just incredible brakes.

The perfect two-car combo might be an Evo and an Elise. If I love the Elise as much as the Evo, I'll buy the Elise -- and then get a used Evo in 2-3 years, at which point I'll sell the M3.

The upshot: The Evo is a mind-blowing car, and an absolutely unreal value. Yeah, it's ugly -- but in an "ugly-beautiful" kind of way. Anyone who knocks the Evo either hasn't driven one, or just doesn't understand it. And at just $30K it's a steal, and I bet it's build quality (and propensity for problems) is no worse than the Elise's.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,290 Posts
JonM3Coupe said:
The perfect two-car combo might be an Evo and an Elise.
Agreed! :D

EVO heel 'n toe is not too hard. I adjusted pretty easily to the EVO set-up. I agree that it is nowhere as easy as my M3. I think BMW has spoiled alot of enthusiasts with their perfect pedal spacing!

You are right about the sound and styling. Ho hum.

The brakes need better cooling but they are quite strong. I've had them smoking at the end of a canyon run. The venting is a bit suspect.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
By the time I finally come around the corner, Shinoo's brakes are still smoking a bit. :p

·
Registered
539 Posts
Haste said:
And I beg to differ with Snowphun. If you're a maple tapper in Vermont or a sometime snow bunny then I'd go for a Subaru Legacy or Forester but if you're looking for AWD performance suited for the road course, the Evolution wins hand down.
I don't see how you're disagreeing with me, I never suggested the WRX or STI is the ultimate awd track car. Personally I would be tracking the Elise, the awd car is for when the weather is nasty. You don't need to be a "maple tapper in Vermont" :huh: to apprieciate that.

Paul

1 - 12 of 12 Posts