The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Evora 2017 vs 2020 seats?

4K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  Julian73 
#1 ·
We've had a chance to drive a 2017 and found it surprisingly comfortable. Both my wife and I felt we could take a multihour ride in it without discomfort. But it looks like the 2020 got a different seat design and the nearest one is 350 miles away. How do the 2020 seats compare? Same, better, worse?

#2 ·
My 2017 Evora 400 is surprisingly comfortable for me- I am 6 feet 170 pounds. I do have the bolster untucking issues though. The only thing I have found that would be essential for long trips is cruise control- when I do take it on long trips I plan a more "scenic" route but inter states tend to be unavoidable and I've had cramps in my leg that have lasted for days after some of these trips. I've thought about adding cruise control. The install looks simple but it requires reprogramming at the dealer to make it work.

#5 ·
That's what I feared, looking at their design. But it's hard to know unless you sit in one. My wife has minor mobility issues so seat comfort is a big consideration for us. In fact, when we test drove a 2017 the very first thing I did was have my wife get in and out... if she had had difficulty we would have walked away. (Instead, she said "It's easier and nicer than my sister's MB coupe.)

#6 ·
You may want to look at this:

The 17 400 seats are from Sparco. They are a plastic version of seats that they also make with a carbon fiber shell. The CF version called SPX is (according to the video) OEM for an unspecified Koenigsegg and the Ford GT so obviously not a bad pedigree. The presenter is of the opinion that the greater flexibility of the version in the Evora lacks the support of the CF version. This may be more of an issue depending on how much timber you are carrying :) . The current CF version of the Sparco SPX seats are ~$3k each so swapping them into a 2020 GT would not be inexpensive.

#8 ·
The current CF version of the Sparco SPX seats are ~$3k each so swapping them into a 2020 GT would not be inexpensive.
I thought the 2020 GT came standard with carbon fiber seat shells. All the listings I've seen for them have stated "Carbon Fiber Seat Backs" and the window sticker doesn't list it as an extra cost option...?

#7 ·
The 17 seats may be comfortable but they are not very well made. They almost always have the notorious seat bottom untuck / collapse issue. The Alcantara on them was also not very good and after 10k miles on my first Evora 400, they showed significant wear. The 20 seats look better, but no idea if they are actually better made.

#9 ·
I don't know if the 2020 seats are simply the CF version of the seats in the 400 or something different- they look the same but overall but with different fabric. Its possible that the 400 seats are more comfortable because they are more flexible. The C&D review of the GT specifically complains about the CF seats being hard.

#10 ·
Interesting video. I thought everything would be better in the 400 compared to the earlier cars but sounds like at least the seats aren’t. I was also surprised to read in another one of the threads that they removed the temperature gauge in the 400 so that’s another thing that isn’t an improvement in the 400.

#15 ·
The Sparco seats are not as comfortable as the Recaro of the S1 cars. Now while they have untuck issues, the leather finish is a better quality that the Recaro. Change was done for claim of weight and accommodation of side airbags, although my experience having had both types out of the car is that the current Sparco's are very heavy.

The 4xx cars did lose both coolant temp gauge and rev shift lights, Not sure why we lost the lights, they didn't take up much dash real estate; however, temp gauge was lost to make room for a government regulatory required "economic" gear selection indicator.

#12 · (Edited)
I think this is accurate... I just looked at the standard equipment on a 2020 GT and it listed carbon-backed seats (not by brand name, just by material).

EDIT: I swear I just read this on a window sticker this morning, yet now when I look at that window sticker I can't find it. So now I'm not sure. I hope bruchion is correct, though!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.