The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok - I need to take a bicycle inside the Evora, but wasn't quite sure how. Research showed that this was probably the best bet - a bike bag which could accommodate a 29er MTB of j-u-s-t the right dimensions to fit in the back seat.

I chose the Ground Effect Tardis - $129:

http://www.groundeff...ail-TAR-BAG.htm

Whilst both of my 29ers are large (literally), I doubted the Santa Cruz Tallboy would fit so tested it out on the Lynskey:

To make things much easier when reassembling, use an old reflector clamp on the seatpost to "mark" seatpost height - then remove post:

Same goes for the handlebars - here I'm using an old light clamp hinge point to line up with the stem faceplate interface. Also note it's butted up against the side of the stem so you've covered off both measurements - then remove the handlebars:

The 29er wheels don't fit inside the pockets with the tyres inflated - no big deal, I used some old towels on top of the wheels to protect the frame & discs - the front & rear QRs are out here (front on this bike is a Maxle):

Frame in with the forks turned backwards. I have not removed the rear derailleur here as it still fitted inside the bag...but I will in future as it makes it much easier to fit the bag into the back seat. Oh, and RHS pedal's off too:

Everything zipped up - no stretching anywhere, it fits well:

Now inside the car, my seat is in my normal position here. It's a slight struggle to fit it in the LHS door & flip it under the roll cage lump, but it fits fine:

Passenger seat now back. If I took off the rear derailleur, I could push the bag back further & likely free up another 2 inches of passenger leg room. As-is, wifey could fit no problem:

Pretty pleased with the outcome if I don't say so myself!

·
Registered
545 Posts
Impressive. Don't think I could fit my Lapierre Froggy FR bike, but maybe worth a try. Personal record of fitting luggage is two golf bags, two golf carts, two shoe bags and 2 sport bags plus wife and her handbag.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sweet almost-soft-tail ride there. I'm assuming EBB for chain tension, not a magic link solution?

Got to love those XTR cranks as SS.

·
Registered
786 Posts
That's amazing. I couldn't even get my Bike Friday in the back seat! Of course, that's with the bike IN the suitcase. I could probably fit just the bike itself, but I don't want to get grease and scratches on the leather from the chain ring.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
i brought my bike to the BMW dealer and made them let me put it in the back... lol twice! i didn't buy an M coupe for that reason, and did buy a 3 coupe years later.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's amazing. I couldn't even get my Bike Friday in the back seat! Of course, that's with the bike IN the suitcase. I could probably fit just the bike itself, but I don't want to get grease and scratches on the leather from the chain ring.
That's why I bought that beaut soft bag - you can shove it in there with no risk to the upholstery. Disassembly takes less than 5 minutes, reassembly the same. Using the clamps to mark seatpost & handlebar position helps enormously.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hifi,

The chain tension is done by sliding chain stays at the flex plate. The bike is set up for geared or single speed. I had it built so I can disassemble the rear triangle and pack it in a travel bag to get around oversize bags on airlines.

Cheers!

·
Registered
786 Posts
That's why I bought that beaut soft bag - you can shove it in there with no risk to the upholstery. Disassembly takes less than 5 minutes, reassembly the same. Using the clamps to mark seatpost & handlebar position helps enormously.
Five minutes is fast. My Bike Friday takes 15 minutes. And it's "designed" to be a folding bike! That's why I call it my sack of potatoes. It's very slow performance-wise, and for the price I paid, I could have bought another road bike just for hauling around in a cardboard box. The time to pack that isn't much different. The only benefit I can see for a Bike Friday is that the suitcase is easier to handle than an unwieldy cardboard box that requires two hands.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts