The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, been noticing this issue gradually get slightly worse. During spirited street driving, there is a mild vibration felt through both the steering wheel and brake pedal when braking. It is especially felt when slowly coming to a stop, it feels there are spots on the rotor/pads that is gripping more vs less and the braking feels uneven. I had my 9k service a couple weeks ago but the dealership was unable to test at the time. Had some friends mention the rotors need to be resurfaced but for a car with this little mileage (about 9500 now) I'm a bit skeptical. Any thoughts or anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey all, been noticing this issue gradually get slightly worse. During spirited street driving, there is a mild vibration felt through both the steering wheel and brake pedal when braking. It is especially felt when slowly coming to a stop, it feels there are spots on the rotor/pads that is gripping more vs less and the braking feels uneven. I had my 9k service a couple weeks ago but the dealership was unable to test at the time. Had some friends mention the rotors need to be resurfaced but for a car with this little mileage (about 9500 now) I'm a bit skeptical. Any thoughts or anyone else experience this?
I have the same issue in my 400, which started around 3k miles. It seems like a slightly warped rotor, possibly caused by hard braking and then driving through a puddle while at the WCLM last year. My mechanic measured a slight warpage, but probably not enough to resurface the rotors (which may not be a permanent fix anyway). In my case, it seems to vary in severity depending on temps, driving time, and who know what else. I have learned to live with it for now, until the time comes to replace rotors.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
98 Posts
Brake calipers vibrate when brakes are applied/ sounds like rotors are warped, have uneven wear. Hopefully rotors can be surfaced, if not, getting new rotors can be very expensive

·
Illegal Alien
5,005 Posts
Sounds like an uneven transfer of pad material during bed-in of pads-rotors. You can try bed-in in again, do a series of controlled high speed braking actions with cool down between .. do not hold brakes on with car still, a lump of pad material will build on rotor. Although Hawk instructions say not to use parking park while stationary its ok on teh evora as the parking brake does not use the main brake pad nor rest on the rotor.

HAWK
After installing new pads make 6 to 10 stops from approximately 35 mph with moderate pressure. Make an additional two to three hard stops from approximately 40 to 45 mph. Do not allow the vehicle to come to a complete stop.When completed with this process, park the vehicle and allow the brakes to cool completely before driving on them again. Do not engage the parking brake until after this cooling process is compete.

If that doesn't work, resurface rotors and start again.

·
Formerly EliseIn2005
251 Posts
I've had the same issue (usually annoying brake vibration when slowing from freeway speeds on the offramp. Never been tracked or taken to an HPDE. Took to the dealership at about 4000 miles, they say the rotors are warped, and it's over $5k to replace both (floating rotors, 3 piece, CANNOT BE RESURFACED, Lotus prices). I chose to go the route of Girodiscs from Shinoo ($1250 for the pair) and kept the same pads since they were hardly worn. A couple thousand miles later, those disks warped enough to cause the same vibration (I sent them to Girodisc and they resurfaced for free). Dealership measures the hub run-out and say it checks out. My service manager (awesome guy) and I write Lotus USA and they replace the front rotors with supposedly a better alloy (still Lotus brand, floating, 3 piece). At 9500, the vibration is back. It honestly is not that bad around town when I gently push the brakes, but it's disconcerting when I'm coming off the freeway and it jiggles so much. Worse than annoying. It's back at the dealership, and they are going to look again for the cause (but of course it's out of warranty, so I'm hoping they will honor the work they did a few thousand miles ago). Something isn't right. I'm pretty sure I'm not getting them up to excessively high temps just doing city/freeway driving. I've tried bedding or re-bedding all three sets (slowing from mid-60mph to almost a stop about 6-8 times), with no benefit and no improvement.

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
Maybe the pads have developed hard spots and are unevenly wearing your new rotors?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts