The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back again looking for some insight. Figured out my issues with the sound system with an expanded manual download; I think my one 4,000 rev limit issue is a glitch. Now a question on the brakes. I have about 2 inches of pedal play before the brakes begin to engage which doesn't feel right and puts the pedal under the gas pedal for heel toe and seems rather weak for rotors of this size. The vehicle had it's first annual service from Orlando Astin/Lotus last week and there was no mention of brake issues. Are my conditions normal? I think another trip to Orlando is in order.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Sounds like you might have air in your brake lines. If they didn't do a brake fluid flush or an extensive test drive they may not have caught this. The brakes should be pretty strong on the car. They worked incredibly well on track at Sebring last month for me. It probably just needs a good bleed to get the right pedal feel back.

·
Lotus Evora Specialty
210 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, could probably ask Lotus to perform it; still got more than a couple of years of warranty left.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I agree with Ryan_G, sounds like the brake lines could use a bleed. Lotus also recommends a fluid change every 24 months too. For bleeding out air and changing the fluid, we recommend the Motive Brake Bleeder which will appear on Yellow & Green Holiday Sale sometime this week. --Sherman
Thanks for the sale-question on bleeding; this procedure does not seem to bleed the ABSunit-???? Does this have to be done via Tech Center (dealer) computer?? How relevant anyhow????

·
Registered
38 Posts
As long as there is no air in the ABS modulator the pressure bleeder will work well. The Motive bleeder that Sherman suggests is very effective and easy to use.

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
Thanks for the sale-question on bleeding; this procedure does not seem to bleed the ABSunit-???? Does this have to be done via Tech Center (dealer) computer?? How relevant anyhow????
I'm fairly certain I've seen the ABS bleeding procedure mentioned in the SN as requiring TechCentre. But you can sort of do it manually, by bleeding lines, then driving around and do a few panic stops to actuate the ABS unit. Then bleed the lines again. PITA for sure, but doable.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I'm fairly certain I've seen the ABS bleeding procedure mentioned in the SN as requiring TechCentre. But you can sort of do it manually, by bleeding lines, then driving around and do a few panic stops to actuate the ABS unit. Then bleed the lines again. PITA for sure, but doable.
Yes, Section JL, pg. 6 Evora Service Notes states use of Tech Centre. Great idea on doing "manually"; anyone having done this? would like to hear results.......

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
Yes, Section JL, pg. 6 Evora Service Notes states use of Tech Centre. Great idea on doing "manually"; anyone having done this? would like to hear results.......
I did it once on my fiance's Lexus prior to me getting the Techstream dongle. It worked well enough, but to be honest, I have no idea if extra air or old fluid made it out, as the 2nd bleed was almost completely clean/new fluid. I just found a relatively traffic-free area and did a few panic stops from around 25-30. Enough to get the ABS pulsing in the pedal.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Just a word of caution ... check the bolt securing the brake line into the caliper as mine backed off some how and leaked fluid everywhere. I noticed the pedal start to get soft as you described and by the time I limped it home, I had to pump the brakes just to stop!

·
Registered
415 Posts
I did it once on my fiance's Lexus prior to me getting the Techstream dongle. It worked well enough, but to be honest, I have no idea if extra air or old fluid made it out, as the 2nd bleed was almost completely clean/new fluid. I just found a relatively traffic-free area and did a few panic stops from around 25-30. Enough to get the ABS pulsing in the pedal.
Thanks and I agree; would seem if air comes out, beneficial, if only clean fluid who knows! Still worth doing I would think if for no more than peace of mind.........probably not a major concern-must admit, I look forward to the "brake check" since have not yet engaged the ABS.............😎

1 - 12 of 12 Posts