The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any other E400 owners had their cars hesitate when cold and pulling away from a complete stop? The other day I started the car, backed out of the garage, drove to the stop sign a block away, and when I depressed the gas to pull out onto the main road the car hesitated. It was almost like a person learning how to drive manual (mine is IPS). It lurched slightly then drove fine for the rest of the trip, but the AC wasn’t blowing cold. When I restarted, the dash wrench was on so I hooked up Bluetooth ODBII. It gave me all of the Evora specs, but no error codes. I cleared the codes anyway and boom cold AC again. Today I left the office and when I pulled out from a stop sign a block away it hesitated/lurched then drove fine. I just had the software update in March when it was in for service. Any ideas what’s going on?

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
I have the same issue. No idea as the dealer says the software is up to date.......!

·
Registered
288 Posts
I've never had the wrench light, but every cold start I get the surge/hesitation feeling for 2-3 seconds. I chalked it up to "because Lotus".

·
Galactic Hitchhiker
384 Posts
OBDii readers won't read the wrench light errors.. you'll have to go somewhere that has the Lotus TechCentre to pull them.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I get the same hesitation when I first start the car. It has most just been a very minor annoyance but nothing I am concerned about. I have also had the AC issue about 3 times during my ownership. That is specifically caused by the AC belt slipping, usually on start-up. There is a sensor that monitors engine speed against compressor speed and when it detects a difference it will disable the compressor by disengaging the clutch. All 3 times it has happened to me the car has been sitting outside during a fairly heavy rain. It's clear that Lotus set the sensitivity of this sensor way too high because it only takes a momentary slip. I have a cheapo bluetooth OBDII reader in my glovebox that I chuck on to reset the codes and the AC will instantly be cold. #JustLotusThings

I am about to remove the third cat which supposedly helps with the inconsistent throttle behavior during rev matching. I feel it may also correct the cold hesitation.

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I installed the GRP 3rd cat delete so I am “glad” to hear stock folks have the same issue. You will love the sound once you remove the boat anchor. Mine hesitates/lurches in Regular and/or Sport so that isn’t the cause either. Strange occurrence. I will try to let the car warm up a bit more and rev the engine slightly when cold to see if that helps. More to follow...

·
Formerly EliseIn2005
255 Posts
Waiting long enough to push start?

I’m fairly certain anyone with an Evora (S1 or S2) will want to wait long enough for the tach and speedo needles to “do their dance from max to min” before actually pushing the start button. Two weeks ago, I wasn’t paying attention and too quickly turned the key and pushed start before the needles returned to their starting position. The car’s cooling fans turned on max speed, the throttle was hesitant, and it seemed like it wanted to stall while I was trying to reverse it into the garage after a wash. No yellow wrench. I parked it overnight, and when I started it next day (and waited for the needles to return to zero) it was fine. Drove normally. No issues since.

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I always wait until the needles return to zero before starting the engine. Yesterday I started it when cold and let it idle. I noticed, when depressing the accelerator to rev the engine, the acceleration was choppy at low RPMs.

·
Registered
2017 Evora 400
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I always wait until the needles return to zero before starting the engine. Yesterday I started it when cold and let it idle. I noticed, when depressing the accelerator to rev the engine, the acceleration was choppy at low RPMs.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Same issue from day 1 of ownership. EVERY morning it will hesitate in the first 5 minutes of driving from a complete stop. Never had a light come on the dash. It became dangerous because I make a left out of my neighborhood and I never knew if it would give me enough power to beat the oncoming cars.

I took it to the dealership and they recreated the same issues but after speaking to Lotus was told it was "operating within it's standard parameters."

So figure it's just a Lotus thing and now drive around to the stoplight to get out of the neighborhood

1 - 11 of 11 Posts