The Lotus Cars Community banner

201 - 204 of 204 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, I'm in CA, and haven't had a 3rd cat since I bought the car. I've passed 2 smog tests so far, with values nowhere close to the limits. The great thing is most shops have zero clue as to how many cats the car is supposed to have, so it passes visual and emissions based on the 2 primaries. Of course YMMV depending on your state's smog laws, testing procedures, etc etc.
Hey @agentdr8,

Are you not able to pay the smog abatement fee instead of doing the check? This is from CA DMV:

Vehicles registered in areas subject to the biennial smog certification program are required to submit evidence of a smog certification every other renewal period. Owners of vehicles eight or less model years old will pay an annual smog abatement fee for the first eight registration years instead of being required to provide a biennial smog certification.

I have a GT I ordered and was wondering if you did the decat yourself or brought it to a shop out here.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Premium Member
1,203 Posts
Hey @agentdr8,

Are you not able to pay the smog abatement fee instead of doing the check? This is from CA DMV:

Vehicles registered in areas subject to the biennial smog certification program are required to submit evidence of a smog certification every other renewal period. Owners of vehicles eight or less model years old will pay an annual smog abatement fee for the first eight registration years instead of being required to provide a biennial smog certification.

I have a GT I ordered and was wondering if you did the decat yourself or brought it to a shop out here.

Thanks,
Mike
Sorry if I wasn't clear in my post; I have a 2011 S1, not a 400 or GT. 2012 is currently the cut-off for smog abatement under the changes made to the smog check program effective Jan 1, 2019.

And my 2011 came with a decat when I bought it, but had it not, installing one would have been something I would have tackled myself.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just got done with mine. Very nice difference in sound. Dropped the whole exhaust and used expander from O'Reilly's. This was my very first time working on a Lotus as I just got my Evora 400. Total time was 1 hour and 20 minutes. Took a few love taps with the rubber mallet. I used ramps.
20200321_135312.jpg

201 - 204 of 204 Posts