The Lotus Cars Community banner

201 - 215 of 215 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, I'm in CA, and haven't had a 3rd cat since I bought the car. I've passed 2 smog tests so far, with values nowhere close to the limits. The great thing is most shops have zero clue as to how many cats the car is supposed to have, so it passes visual and emissions based on the 2 primaries. Of course YMMV depending on your state's smog laws, testing procedures, etc etc.
Hey @agentdr8,

Are you not able to pay the smog abatement fee instead of doing the check? This is from CA DMV:

Vehicles registered in areas subject to the biennial smog certification program are required to submit evidence of a smog certification every other renewal period. Owners of vehicles eight or less model years old will pay an annual smog abatement fee for the first eight registration years instead of being required to provide a biennial smog certification.

I have a GT I ordered and was wondering if you did the decat yourself or brought it to a shop out here.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
Hey @agentdr8,

Are you not able to pay the smog abatement fee instead of doing the check? This is from CA DMV:

Vehicles registered in areas subject to the biennial smog certification program are required to submit evidence of a smog certification every other renewal period. Owners of vehicles eight or less model years old will pay an annual smog abatement fee for the first eight registration years instead of being required to provide a biennial smog certification.

I have a GT I ordered and was wondering if you did the decat yourself or brought it to a shop out here.

Thanks,
Mike
Sorry if I wasn't clear in my post; I have a 2011 S1, not a 400 or GT. 2012 is currently the cut-off for smog abatement under the changes made to the smog check program effective Jan 1, 2019.

And my 2011 came with a decat when I bought it, but had it not, installing one would have been something I would have tackled myself.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Just got done with mine. Very nice difference in sound. Dropped the whole exhaust and used expander from O'Reilly's. This was my very first time working on a Lotus as I just got my Evora 400. Total time was 1 hour and 20 minutes. Took a few love taps with the rubber mallet. I used ramps.
20200321_135312.jpg

·
Registered
102 Posts
Just dropped off my '19 Evora 400 (2500 miles) for some more warranty work. While there I inquired about if a decat pipe would effect warranty. The response was, "it wouldn't effect the warranty on say the electric windows but would void it on engine work because it changes back pressure". That euro models with identical motors don't have the cat didn't change the service managers thinking. He also mentioned a K&N filter would have similar effects on warranty. As this is my local service center, I'll have to postpone installation of the decat for a couple more years. I would expect this type of response from a Mercedes dealer perhaps but considering this car is covered for non-competition track use it comes off as a bit of a con. They also mentioned they won't do anything about the frame vibration that occurs at speeds over 90mph; essentially half speed. They said to bring it to a speed shop where I'll have to pay out.

·
Illegal Alien
4,779 Posts
Just dropped off my '19 Evora 400 (2500 miles) for some more warranty work. While there I inquired about if a decat pipe would effect warranty. The response was, "it wouldn't effect the warranty on say the electric windows but would void it on engine work because it changes back pressure". That euro models with identical motors don't have the cat didn't change the service managers thinking. He also mentioned a K&N filter would have similar effects on warranty. As this is my local service center, I'll have to postpone installation of the decat for a couple more years. I would expect this type of response from a Mercedes dealer perhaps but considering this car is covered for non-competition track use it comes off as a bit of a con. They also mentioned they won't do anything about the frame vibration that occurs at speeds over 90mph; essentially half speed. They said to bring it to a speed shop where I'll have to pay out.
'
I didn't think we actual got '19 model, jumping from '18 to '20 in US market. They will not warranty because in US "warranty" also means responsibly of vehicle being able to pass US emissions testing in any state. I would push harder on your frame vibration, whatever you are meaning by that ? a rattle or a rub?? you can escalate a warranty beyond a dealers opinion.

·
Registered
537 Posts
The dealer that installed my decat said they loved it so much they would recommend it to all new owners. Though it’s possible, I can’t imagine them doing that if they thought it would void the warranty on the motor. Also, I thought in the US the manufacturer had to be able to prove that the modification caused the fault to void a warranty.

Although car enthusiasts commonly believe that any modifications will void a warranty, the truth is a little less straightforward. In fact, a modification won’t void a warranty unless an automaker or a dealer can prove that an aftermarket part caused the need for repairs. In other words, your warranty will still be valid when your radiator springs a leak, even if you’ve added an aftermarket exhaust.

Autotrader - page unavailable

·
Registered
228 Posts
The nearest Lotus dealer is 3.5 hours away from me, and this is not that unusual for other parts of the country either. Lotus' warranty is a bit of a joke anyway.

·
Registered
102 Posts
'
I didn't think we actual got '19 model, jumping from '18 to '20 in US market. They will not warranty because in US "warranty" also means responsibly of vehicle being able to pass US emissions testing in any state. I would push harder on your frame vibration, whatever you are meaning by that ? a rattle or a rub?? you can escalate a warranty beyond a dealers opinion.
True; an '18 with a '19 inception date. The vibration does feel like multiple wheel imbalances but was since new. Should they ignore this I have a guy at my local Firestone shop that specializes in exotics. He fixed a similar problem I had with my Esprit some years back. I'm just disappointed the Lotus dealer doesn't make a bigger effort to diagnose the vibration.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Sounds like you need to find another dealership to work with. No reason a cat or air filter would void a warranty, one would think less back pressure & less heat in the engine bay is usually a good thing

for the dealer to also not want to look at the vibrations issue...

seems like the dealership doesn’t really want any return business/customers etc.

a dealer I have talked with encourages the decat over the Ti exhaust on a new GT, quite a bit less money and suppose to be similar sound.

also as mentioned, I do not believe there is a 2019 400 here in the states, the 400’s last year was 2018 with the GT starting in 2020.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
True; an '18 with a '19 inception date. The vibration does feel like multiple wheel imbalances but was since new. Should they ignore this I have a guy at my local Firestone shop that specializes in exotics. He fixed a similar problem I had with my Esprit some years back. I'm just disappointed the Lotus dealer doesn't make a bigger effort to diagnose the vibration.
The only comment I had from my local dealer, who's very good, when I asked about the decat, was that they'd have to record it on the paperwork. This in turn would put it on paper that it was done as a modification. I own a large diesel truck and the EPA has come down REALLY hard on any hardware and/or software mods to diesels over the past 18 months. The EPA is therefore watching closely any emissions mods to vehicles, particularly diesels, but also autos in general. They are fining both the vehicle owners AND the shop which did the work or sold the mods. I wouldn't have the dealer do it just because of getting "tagged" into a system somewhere that a catalytic converter was changed, modified, or removed. Do it yourself or have a local mechanic do it. It's pretty straight forward. Took me about an hour and a half and was the first work I ever did on a Lotus.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
102 Posts
The only comment I had from my local dealer, who's very good, when I asked about the decat, was that they'd have to record it on the paperwork. This in turn would put it on paper that it was done as a modification. I own a large diesel truck and the EPA has come down REALLY hard on any hardware and/or software mods to diesels over the past 18 months. The EPA is therefore watching closely any emissions mods to vehicles, particularly diesels, but also autos in general. They are fining both the vehicle owners AND the shop which did the work or sold the mods. I wouldn't have the dealer do it just because of getting "tagged" into a system somewhere that a catalytic converter was changed, modified, or removed. Do it yourself or have a local mechanic do it. It's pretty straight forward. Took me about an hour and a half and was the first work I ever did on a Lotus.
Good Luck!
Well within my abilities but it would have to be changed out every time I need warranty work that involves removal of the diffuser. Probably not worth the hassle.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Sounds like you need to find another dealership to work with. No reason a cat or air filter would void a warranty, one would think less back pressure & less heat in the engine bay is usually a good thing

for the dealer to also not want to look at the vibrations issue...

seems like the dealership doesn’t really want any return business/customers etc.

a dealer I have talked with encourages the decat over the Ti exhaust on a new GT, quite a bit less money and suppose to be similar sound.

also as mentioned, I do not believe there is a 2019 400 here in the states, the 400’s last year was 2018 with the GT starting in 2020.
By inception date I meant original sale date in 2/19

·
Illegal Alien
4,779 Posts
Well within my abilities but it would have to be changed out every time I need warranty work that involves removal of the diffuser. Probably not worth the hassle.
ah, once it's in they probably would make a fuss. Now, that said if you bring it too them with CEL issues on O2, or engine drivability issues, I would pull it off first. As too the K&N, your were not specific so I said nothing, but if its the K&N paper filter that fits OEM airbox it will not cause issues unless over-ruled, but nor will it boost performance according to dyne tests we did on my car back in 2013. Now the CAI replacement boxes, Lotus has put out a notice too dealers to void warranty. The older Radium box with K&N filter did cause issues with MAF sensing issues that were really messing with the IPS cars, the later BOE CAI developed and prototyped on my 2012 S 6-spd, works like a charm for 7 yrs now on that car. However, Lotus seems to have thrown all of them under the bus.

·
Loves to talk
953 Posts
The decat installation does not require removal of the diffuser. You do have to remove the bottom panel to gain access but that's a matter of a few fasteners and is a three minute deal. For what it's worth, I passed the annual Tennessee test with the decat in place. I believe whole heartedly that Tennessee is a net polluter state with zillions of burning coal diesels and loud trucks that annoy routinely. The state tests annually (another annoyance considering the situation here) but apparently it's the test and not the results that matter. Still, my car passed with about the same readings as it did the year before while still stock.

201 - 215 of 215 Posts