The Lotus Cars Community banner

161 - 180 of 188 Posts

·
Illegal Alien
4,598 Posts
I got the same response from Greg late last week when I ordered mine. I was expecting at least a week or two of delay but to my surprise I got a confirmation of shipment just a couple of days later. Mine should arrive today!

Ya'll say I don't have to lift the car to get 'er done. That would be good because I don't think my car will fit on my bike lift :))) and I don't have any way to support the car except on its own wheels.
Really need to lift the car even if just back wheels up on race ramps. Not complicated but you are trying to remove and insert a pipe section between the downpipes and the muffler, front end bolts with poor access to one nut, back end is s slip joint to a muffler that has no intent to comply to movement, so the MMA match up needs a little belly space.

·
Registered
155 Posts
For what it’s worth, I did mine with the car flat on the ground. Had no problems whatsoever. You do need to have a strong arm to manipulate the factory muffler. It’s pretty heavy. Mind you, I went the route of removing the whole factory exhaust in one piece. And then reinstalling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Loves to talk
788 Posts
Really need to lift the car even if just back wheels up on race ramps. Not complicated but you are trying to remove and insert a pipe section between the downpipes and the muffler, front end bolts with poor access to one nut, back end is s slip joint to a muffler that has no intent to comply to movement, so the MMA match up needs a little belly space.
After much cogitation about getting this done while respecting two criteria (Not paying a pro to do it and not paying more for the tools than for professional installation) I borrowed my son in law's floor jack and jack stands and also came up with a wheel chock scheme. I'm collecting the tools today and will probably tackle it tomorrow. I crawled under the car last night and decided it was impractical to do it without adding some air between the floor and the car. I am going to attempt to borrow my SIL to assist as well. I contend he owes me for putting up with his wife for the better part of her life.

A Eureka moment! Why buy what I can. borrow?

·
Illegal Alien
4,598 Posts
After much cogitation about getting this done while respecting two criteria (Not paying a pro to do it and not paying more for the tools than for professional installation) I borrowed my son in law's floor jack and jack stands and also came up with a wheel chock scheme. I'm collecting the tools today and will probably tackle it tomorrow. I crawled under the car last night and decided it was impractical to do it without adding some air between the floor and the car. I am going to attempt to borrow my SIL to assist as well. I contend he owes me for putting up with his wife for the better part of her life.

A Eureka moment! Why buy what I can. borrow?
After all it is the SILs fault that his wife is the way she is.

·
Loves to talk
788 Posts
After all it is the SILs fault that his wife is the way she is.
Exactly! It's all his fault!

For the record, he's a good guy, she's a great daughter (and it's a lovely floor jack.....from....uh....Pittsburg via China). Turns out he doesn't have any jack stands so I have to either source them from another relative or break down and buy a pair, which I'm tempted to do.

·
Illegal Alien
4,598 Posts
Exactly! It's all his fault!

For the record, he's a good guy, she's a great daughter (and it's a lovely floor jack.....from....uh....Pittsburg via China). Turns out he doesn't have any jack stands so I have to either source them from another relative or break down and buy a pair, which I'm tempted to do.
If you buy jack stands, make the investment and purchase ESCO jack stands, the flat rubber tops are perfect for Lotus

·
Loves to talk
788 Posts
I'd already decided on ESCO but your endorsement is further encouragement. The ESCOs look like the best shot exactly because of the rubber puck. I also prefer the pin lock style over the ratcheting ones. A buddy was supposed to loan me a set today but he forgot to bring them over.

This is the first time I'll be lifting the car onto stands. I assume I can jack at the rear points alternately and that will lift the car for placement of the stands at the front?Or vice versa. I intend to block the wheels as well once they're on the stands. I will probably jack all four corners since I will have four stands but as I said, it's my first go at this.

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
This is the first time I'll be lifting the car onto stands. I assume I can jack at the rear points alternately and that will lift the car for placement of the stands at the front?Or vice versa.
Yep. Although lifting from the front pad doesn't usually get you sufficient clearance on the rear pad for a stand, unless it goes pretty low. To get the rear end up, after chocking the fronts, I used to lift from the rear pad and just place a race ramp under the rear tire. Then repeat on the other side.

It's also why JackPoint stands are pretty popular too; being able to lift and also stand from the same point makes the process easier.

·
Illegal Alien
4,598 Posts
I'd already decided on ESCO but your endorsement is further encouragement. The ESCOs look like the best shot exactly because of the rubber puck. I also prefer the pin lock style over the ratcheting ones. A buddy was supposed to loan me a set today but he forgot to bring them over.

This is the first time I'll be lifting the car onto stands. I assume I can jack at the rear points alternately and that will lift the car for placement of the stands at the front?Or vice versa. I intend to block the wheels as well once they're on the stands. I will probably jack all four corners since I will have four stands but as I said, it's my first go at this.
lifting from the aft lift point raises frent enough to insert a stand. Asa someone else mentioned, for quick and dirty work on the back I will lift from front insert ramp under front and stand under rear pin and repeat on other side. For more serious work I will lift from aft point using my Jackpot stand (works integral to jack (lift pad fits top of U shaped jack stand) to be able to pull jack away) and insert ESCO stand under front points.

·
Loves to talk
788 Posts
Thanks brothers. I just got back from jacking up the car to see how much clearance I really needed and what 6 inches of added air looks like under the wheels. That allows the use of rhino ramps. I'm amused to come back and find that very suggestion tendered by you guys. In this case which doesn't involve wheels or suspension, that much added clearance looks adequate for such a simple job. I could probably get by without even supporting the front but I will do so for the sake of symmetry and as practice for when I do need to get the car off its wheels. Since the wheels aren't coming off, I likely could have gotten by even without stands but the exercise has been interesting. Those jackpoint stands are very cool though. If I did this more often I'd get those.

It's a simple thing but putting our cars on regular jack stands takes more consideration than I thought. It's like a puzzle getting all the pieces to fit. In the end the solution was an obvious one. Use ramps for this job.

It was entertainingly weird jacking it up for the first time.

·
Banned
157 Posts
Thanks brothers. I just got back from jacking up the car up to see how much clearance I really needed and what 6 inches of added air looks like as respects this job. That allows the use of rhino ramps. I'm amused to come back and find that very suggestion tendered by you, Julian. In this case which doesn't involve wheels or suspension, that much added clearance looks adequate for such a simple job. I could probably get by without even supporting the front but I will do so for the sake of symmetry and as practice for when I do need to get the car off its wheels. Since the wheels aren't coming off, I likely could have gotten by even without stands but the exercise has been interesting.

It's a simple thing but putting our cars on regular jack stands takes more consideration than I thought. It's like a crossword getting all the pieces to fit. In the end the solution was an obvious one. Use the ramps for this job.
Two words: car lift

:grin2:

·
Illegal Alien
4,598 Posts
Lew: The kind of guy who would buy the best possible unit, install it in his garage and use it once to take out a catalytic converter ;)
At least you would have used it. Cat removal, $4500 .. well next time (never) it will be free. Look what i'll save by purchasing the tools and not using a mechanic.

·
Loves to talk
788 Posts
That was exhausting! (nyuk nyuk).

But it's in, and like acquiring a mobility scooter, I achieved it at little or no additional cost to me! Because I borrowed all the stuff I didn't have, including the exhaust pipe expander. I got it as a loaner from Auto Zone and it is a better tool than the one you can buy on Amazon for twenty bucks. That's the way to go folks since the cheap offshore tool seems to break on the first try. Now, next time people ask you what the cheapest thing about my Lotus Evora is, you know what to tell them! (the owner).

Notes: For me, getting the cat off its pipe was the most annoying aspect of the job. I had to resort to the dead blow in the end and it took a lot of blows. I tried heat and freeze spray and that loosened it but I was surprised it came to that. Everything else went easily just as everyone else has reported. I haven't driven it yet as it started raining here just as I finished and rush hour started. Just winding it up in the garage, free revving, it walks the border between yawzah and obnoxiously loud if the valve is open. Valve closed is fine, just a slightly more pronounced burble, barely notable difference. Eager to drive it tomorrow and see what I got.

Lew's difficulty rating on the knuckle scale: It's a one skinned knuckle job.

Thanks Greg!

·
Banned
157 Posts
That was exhausting! (nyuk nyuk).

But it's in, and like acquiring a mobility scooter, I achieved it at little or no additional cost to me! Because I borrowed all the stuff I didn't have, including the exhaust pipe expander. I got it as a loaner from Auto Zone and it is a better tool than the one you can buy on Amazon for twenty bucks. That's the way to go folks since the cheap offshore tool seems to break on the first try. Now, next time people ask you what the cheapest thing about my Lotus Evora is, you know what to tell them! (the owner).

Notes: For me, getting the cat off its pipe was the most annoying aspect of the job. I had to resort to the dead blow in the end and it took a lot of blows. Everything else went easily just as everyone else has reported. I haven't driven it yet as it started raining here just as I finished and rush hour started. Just winding it up in the garage, free revving, it walks the border between yawzah and obnoxiously loud if the valve is open. Valve closed is fine, just a slightly more pronounced burble, barely notable difference. Eager to drive it tomorrow and see what I got.

Lew's difficulty rating on the knuckle scale: It's a one skinned knuckle job.

Thanks Greg!
Congrats. You will love it when you drive it, trust us. Anything above 2500 sounds great, and anything about 4000 sounds awesome.

·
Loves to talk
788 Posts
It sounds a lot meaner. Man, that is a heavy muffler assembly back there. Well made though. The car is quality under the skirt. You really do need to do a little work on them, even if just once, to see that they are nice where it counts. The car goes up in one piece from a single jack point, no creaking, no flexing. Just like it drives.

·
Loves to talk
788 Posts
It sounds fabulous. Super car noise compared to before. Kind of amazing because that cat looks so harmless. It does seem to return to idle more consistently but I need to drive it more to be sure. That was a hoped for benefit so I'll be paying attention to that. I blip almost all downshifts out of habit. I can't feel a meaningful power difference that I couldn't chalk up to my imagination but I haven't run it above 5K. Very hard to wind it up in Nash so that will wait till I take it on a real drive. I wasn't expecting more power, just the other benefits so no disappointments in any case.

Very satisfying. I enjoyed doing the mod, my first on this car. Flash, here I come!

161 - 180 of 188 Posts