The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I was hoping to get some advice regarding purchasing either of the two cars in the title:

Background: I own a 2009 Lotus Elise, 2016 Alfa Romeo 4C, and a 2019 Audi S4 (daily driver)

I've loved owning the Elise, but either of these cars would be a replacement for it. I drove an Evora S which I thought was a fantastic car hence why the Evora 400/GT is in the running.

Lotus: I love that it's more "exotic" in terms of its looks. I like that Lotus in general is more "analog" than other sport cars out there. Not to mention, used they can be had for a decent price (60's-mid 70's for the 400). My concerns with an Evora are:

Reliability: What typically goes wrong with these cars? Anything serious drive-train wise? Finding a shop to work on them is obviously more difficult.
Resale: Obviously these cars depreciate. Don't know that the "bottom" has been found yet. Whether they do more than the Porsche is anyone's guess but there's also ease of sale. Lotus guys are few and far between so it may sit for a while if I decide to sell it down the road.

Porche: I'd probably go for the Spyder since I like a drop top (but my 4C is a spider too). Obviously the car's interior would be nicer. I'd think performance would be similar but obviously it's not as "exotic looking" as an Evora (all Porsches tend to look alike). It would also be less analog. Resale would be easier/quicker, and it'd be easier to find someone to work on it should something go wrong or needs warranty repair. It is however more expensive (40-50k if the Evora is bought used).

Anyone here driven or owns both? Any opinions from you guys?

Thank you for your time.

P.S.: I also think the Lotus community is better. The Porsche forums seem full of people obsessing over options and whatnot.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Of course it will be biased here.
If the drop top is important to you, well, you have one choice (or save $ on a new miata if you are under 6 foot tall).
I have found, I rarely even open the moon roofs in our other cars as it just beats on my heads and obstructs vision.

I wanted exclusivity. The head turns are constant with the Evora especially with a skittles color (green, yellow, orange...). I have 2 dealers less than an hour from my house, so that was not an issue. Most issues are small and annoying, nothing substantial unless you burn out a clutch.

I was looking at the GT4. Deal breakers for me were maintenance cost, couldn't even see the engine, felt less involving, no backup camera (or sensors?), dime a dozen, strut failure issue and I just don't feel like a Porsche guy personally (or BMW).

The pros on easier resale and maintenance as well as more interior refinement are clearly with Porsche.

If your only daily, the Porsche may be better. If a weekend car, you may want to lean Lotus.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have an Audi S4 for daily car, and an Alfa Romeo 4C Spider for the drop top experience so the drop top isn't a deal breaker by any stretch. I do agree the Lotus has more exclusivity to it. I have a friend with a 911 GT3RS and people still think "oh it's just a Porsche" haha

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
are we talking the new gt4 or the 718 gt4? i havent driven the new one yet, but i thought the evora was a better car overall. you're going to get biased answers here. go drive them both if you can. i dont think youll find too many serious issues with a new(er) Evora. at this point they have had a decade to sort the car out. its more exclusive for sure, but youre already used to explaining to people what your cars are.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm still a bit biased, but I just bought an Evora 400, But I work on and sell Porsche parts for a living. Both are amazing cars... you'll find both are a great choice. I believe the Evora will have more "soul" but at the same time the Porsche will be an easier ownership experience, just not as exclusive if thats your thing.

·
Registered
289 Posts
not to mention GT4/spyder, the upcoming boxer 6 GTS over the Evora everyday.

for any sport cars over $100,000, the Evora is close to the bottom of my list. Exige V6 is on the top 3 though

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
FWIW since I have 3 cars I don't put a ton of miles into them since it's spread out by 3.

I was hoping someone here had driven both and had some insight. While I think the Porsche ownership experience would be "smoother" in terms of ease of warranty/finding someone to work on it and ease of selling there's a certain "fizz" to the Lotus. That being said I haven't driven a Porsche so I've no clue.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Why would you go for those over the Evora?
high revving NA boxer 6 over supercharged V6. appealing maybe at Boxster S money but not at GTS money. When you are paying 6 figure, the quality/value of the Evora just isn't there. at least the Exige V6 (not sold in NA) has an excuse for being an uncomprimised machine.
I also dislike the federal Evora GT front clam (the euro version is so much better)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Evora would likely be used. I agree, at over 100k the value isn't there when it comes to competition. At around 70-80k it's more palatable and would be much cheaper than a new Boxster Spyder/Cayman GT4. I don't know if it matters but I live at 4.5k ft.

·
Registered
585 Posts
high revving NA boxer 6 over supercharged V6. appealing maybe at Boxster S money but not at GTS money. When you are paying 6 figure, the quality/value of the Evora just isn't there. at least the Exige V6 (not sold in NA) has an excuse for being an uncomprimised machine.
I also dislike the federal Evora GT front clam (the euro version is so much better)

·
Recent Lotus Convert
2020 Evora GT
35 Posts
My story, hope this helps (lots of reference points):

I was on the list for a new Spyder (since 2018), but ordered/own an Evora GT.

I sold my '03 Boxster S in 2018. I owned an '84 Carrera before that (Awesome feel).

I wanted a car with a lot of character and feel. This was, but is not Porsche today. I was/am really disappointed with Porsche due to the IMS issue. I am willing to sacrifice luxury and performance to get such a car. Low weight is more important than high power. Other aspects I sought: roadster preferred (with roll bar, to qualify at the track), manual transmission, A/C, heat, radio, and a style I liked. I'd also like to be able to do most all maintenance and some repairs myself. I wanted just enough comfort so that I could travel AND my wife would travel in it to. That way I get to drive it more.

The short list:

Lotus Elise (normal) - Very light on the controls. I drove slower (not a lot of feel slow, much better when pushed a bet). I'd want to tweak some of the looks. Easy to drive. Liked a lot, but just not quite sold on one. My wife did NOT like getting in/out.

Alfa 4C - good steering feel. felt more solid than expected, no stick, new car, unsure about reliability and durability. My wife really liked, but getting a stick was more important that having a roadster. Also wanted a bit more performance. Could be a fun purchase down the road, as I expect significant depreciation as they come off warranty.

Drove Evora 400 and 2016 Boxster Spyder (both twice). All my test drives were VERY calm/conservative. I relied more on what others wrote. The Spyder became my 2nd choice and and 964/964 Carrera/Turbo a very close 3rd.

981 Spyder - loved the look, the sound, lots of extras in terms of electronic aides that are nice, but... Poor steering feel under 40mph, ok on hwy. At the time of my first test drive in 2016, I really expected I would buy one, but hated the steering. It looked sports, but most of the sports feeling seemed refined out of the car. Newer was not better, I liked the feel of my 2003 more. I later drove a 2016 Boxter GTS back to back with my 2003, confirming my assessment (for me). I figured the 718 spyder would be an evolution of the 981 (it is). And when I learned it weighed more... I knew it was likely an evolution in refinement over feel and old school character I like.

Evora 400. It felt more like my Boxster, and even more direct. I liked it, it is more like what Porsche WAS. Then they came out with the GT, which was even more of what I like. The Evora GT is also much more unique and rare. The backseat is a bonus for my new grandpa status as well. The feel in my GT goes beyond my 03 Boxster and reminds me of my '84 Carrera.

The kicker from various reviewers: People always glow about Porsche, how great they are, the numbers, the features the performance, but when reviewers (often the same ones) talk about the Evora (particularly the 410/430) they become more emotional. They talked about how the Evora makes them feel. The Evora was described as an 'old school' feel, I agree. The R&T PCOTY reviewers said this is the one THEY would buy (if i remember that right).

As for revving and the Porsche, yes it will rev higher...but the low end torque with the Lotus is preferable to me and I think if you hear an Evora at 5000 rpm, you won't care that the Porsche revs higher any more. My Boxster had the optional sport exhaust and the 981 Spyder was on another level, and my Evora on a higher level still.

If you don't like the front of the US GT, look at my avatar, consider the chin in body color.

Depends on what YOU want. They are more similar than different, but the differences are distinct the those that chose Lotus. And I love seeing the engine (I have the standard glass hatch).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great list! Funny enough I own and Elise and a 4C. I think the 4C is more refined and quicker in the modern sports car kind of way but still quite analog. I don't know about depreciation though. I think they're low enough number and carbon fiber chassis etc they will hover around 40-50 for a while (got mine for 45). You know...I kind of agree. Top brain says Porsche but bottom brain seems to want Evora, hah!

My story, hope this helps (lots of reference points):

I was on the list for a new Spyder (since 2018), but ordered/own an Evora GT.

I sold my '03 Boxster S in 2018. I owned an '84 Carrera before that (Awesome feel).

I wanted a car with a lot of character and feel. This was, but is not Porsche today. I was/am really disappointed with Porsche due to the IMS issue. I am willing to sacrifice luxury and performance to get such a car. Low weight is more important than high power. Other aspects I sought: roadster preferred (with roll bar, to qualify at the track), manual transmission, A/C, heat, radio, and a style I liked. I'd also like to be able to do most all maintenance and some repairs myself. I wanted just enough comfort so that I could travel AND my wife would travel in it to. That way I get to drive it more.

The short list:

Lotus Elise (normal) - Very light on the controls. I drove slower (not a lot of feel slow, much better when pushed a bet). I'd want to tweak some of the looks. Easy to drive. Liked a lot, but just not quite sold on one. My wife did NOT like getting in/out.

Alfa 4C - good steering feel. felt more solid than expected, no stick, new car, unsure about reliability and durability. My wife really liked, but getting a stick was more important that having a roadster. Also wanted a bit more performance. Could be a fun purchase down the road, as I expect significant depreciation as they come off warranty.

Drove Evora 400 and 2016 Boxster Spyder (both twice). All my test drives were VERY calm/conservative. I relied more on what others wrote. The Spyder became my 2nd choice and and 964/964 Carrera/Turbo a very close 3rd.

981 Spyder - loved the look, the sound, lots of extras in terms of electronic aides that are nice, but... Poor steering feel under 40mph, ok on hwy. At the time of my first test drive in 2016, I really expected I would buy one, but hated the steering. It looked sports, but most of the sports feeling seemed refined out of the car. Newer was not better, I liked the feel of my 2003 more. I later drove a 2016 Boxter GTS back to back with my 2003, confirming my assessment (for me). I figured the 718 spyder would be an evolution of the 981 (it is). And when I learned it weighed more... I knew it was likely an evolution in refinement over feel and old school character I like.

Evora 400. It felt more like my Boxster, and even more direct. I liked it, it is more like what Porsche WAS. Then they came out with the GT, which was even more of what I like. The Evora GT is also much more unique and rare. The backseat is a bonus for my new grandpa status as well. The feel in my GT goes beyond my 03 Boxster and reminds me of my '84 Carrera.

The kicker from various reviewers: People always glow about Porsche, how great they are, the numbers, the features the performance, but when reviewers (often the same ones) talk about the Evora (particularly the 410/430) they become more emotional. They talked about how the Evora makes them feel. The Evora was described as an 'old school' feel, I agree. The R&T PCOTY reviewers said this is the one THEY would buy (if i remember that right).

As for revving and the Porsche, yes it will rev higher...but the low end torque with the Lotus is preferable to me and I think if you hear an Evora at 5000 rpm, you won't care that the Porsche revs higher any more. My Boxster had the optional sport exhaust and the 981 Spyder was on another level, and my Evora on a higher level still.

If you don't like the front of the US GT, look at my avatar, consider the chin in body color.

Depends on what YOU want. They are more similar than different, but the differences are distinct the those that chose Lotus. And I love seeing the engine (I have the standard glass hatch).

·
Illegal Alien
5,138 Posts
The front bumper (as the clam is already the euro versions) is switchable. SC V6 has a flatter torque curve than the P flat 6, the redline difference is not of much meaning, both are equally quick raving from shift point to redline. The Evora GT out handles the P cars

·
Registered
132 Posts
I actually have direct experience with both of these cars. I've owned the Evora 400 for about a year and a half, and my brother got his 718 GT4 about 3 months ago. They are extremely similar in dynamics and character. Their performance is almost exactly the same, so I'll just give you the main differences I see between the 2.
TLDR: There's no wrong answer here

Looks: Evora is by far the greater head turner. GT4 still looks awesome, but doesn't garner the same amount of attention if that matters to you.

Transmission: Both cars are Manual, and although the Evora transmission is nice, the GT4 manual is perfectly tight. I believe this is chalked up to cable vs direct trans.

Fit and finish: The GT4 interior is more refined. Everything feels solidly put together and sound insulation is better than the Evora (although this also makes it feel less 'raw'). The materials in the Evora seem thinner and more flexible.

Rawness: Not sure if this can be a real category, but you feel way more connected in the Evora. The noise, rattling, vibrations, all of your senses will be assaulted in the Evora. The GT4 still has those sensations, but not quite turned up so high.

Resale: Undoubtedly, Porsche GT cars will experience less depreciation.

Purchase Price: This counters the resale part. I purchased my '17 E400 for $69k used with only 2500mi on the odo. 718 GT4 is pretty new so prob not many used examples. My brother purchased this GT4 new for $120 ($20k of which were just options)

·
Registered
574 Posts
Its funny. I owned an Elise before my Evoras so I always think of the Evora as a big sports car, then I see it next to a new Porsche and it looks so much smaller.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think the price difference is hard to ignore. I can afford both comfortably, but I specc'd out a Spyder at 110k, and a gently used Evora is 70k ish. 40k difference is nothing to scoff at. While depreciation would be softer for the Cayman/Spyder it's hard to know how much lower the supercharged Evoras are going to go.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have been wondering about evora depreciation, not just vs P GT cars, just depreciation in general.

do People consider depreciation vs MSRP or vs what people actually paid for the cars when new? The 18 E400 I took for a spin 2 yrs ago had a $120k sticker price however I believe the car sold for under $90k. While a similarly equipped new GT was $110k

the last several months I have been trying to figure out if I can afford a new GT, several dealerships have offered me $10k off sticker for a new GT & I assume there is more room to negotiate prices, No clue how much more negotiation room they have.....

are the P GT cars sold at sticker or are they discounted a similar amount?

with the Evore and Evora S still hovering in the $40k-$60k range, I assumed the E400 and GT should stay $60k +

1 - 20 of 163 Posts