The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Evora 400 IPS issues

3K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  rfgf1 
#1 ·
2017 Evora 400 with 6k miles

Got MIL and Transmission telltale lights today highway speeds 80-90mph in Sport Mode.
Luckily I have Bluetooth code scanner always connected so was able to pull over and read & reset the codes:

P0700 - Generic TCU light
P1613 - Generic ECU light
P0751 - Shift Solenoid "A" Performance or Stuck off

After reset drove about another 60 miles and lights did not come back on.

Reading the IPS service manual, it seems like P0751 is what caused the other lights.
However from what I am understanding from the manual is that P0751 - Stuck off occurs at
speed of 0km/h and gear 1 among other criteria. However this occurred in high gear (5 or 6) at high speed

Any suggestions on what may have caused this or what else to look out for?

I am the 2nd owner and not sure how well the IPS was treated by previous owner. My first thought was to try changing the AT Fluid but it doesn't look that easy of a DIY job and the closest dealer is 200 miles away

Font Gadget Screenshot Electronic device Technology

Font Number Screenshot

See less See more
#3 ·
Car went into limp mode when CEL and TCU lights came on. After resetting code no issues in acceleration or power. Only thing noticeable was the automatic downshift from 2 to 1 in stop & go traffic. The gear 2 to 1 automatic downshift feels a bit clunky

#4 ·
Battery condition please

Reactions: Catsailr27
#7 ·
the scan tool shows 12.5 v with ignition in accessory mode ( with all lights, radios etc off) and 14v with engine started.
not sure if there is a better way to get battery status without having it load tested at one of the auto parts stores.

car was on trickle charger for about 4 hours prior to this test and is always on a charger if not being driven for a period longer than 48 hours

#8 ·
having a dealer change the AT fluid is a good idea. It needs to be done at a certain temperature. Their notes may say the wheel has to come off but it doesn’t have a side drain like some bites say.
From third gear at around 2k rpms, accurate slowly, if 4th doesn’t engage well, that may be a sign. This is what happened to me before I changed the fluid.

also, there is a TCU update available that your dealer can load.

#9 ·
Evora can be fickle with a marginal ground or battery. Many weren't well treated at dealers and would die then get charged repeatedly instead of left on trickle charger. I would have the battery load tested for peace of mind and when re installing check your grounds at bulkhead and engine. I use noox on the terminals to prevent corrosion.

#11 ·
While yes the alternator is doing the job at highway speeds, the battery always provides a 'bottom' which it cannot drop below, even for an instant
Most cars will run with no alternator at all[funny oooold story follows] but it is always possible for random events to happen with modern computer controlled cars and variable voltage. Computers think quickly and momentary drops in voltage that would not dim a lightbulb might glitch an ECU
I am not saying that this is the cause of this issue, not at all, just that computers, variable voltage, weirdness............for instance, the SPM on the Elise/Exige has apparently no diode or bleed resistor in the AC clutch relay, and it glitches the ECU for a moment every time the AC clutch engages or disengages or something.

So, 1981
driving my very rotten 1970 Opel GT to work for 2nd shift

Suddenly crash crash crash rattle thump like I ran over a rock in the road

Look in the rearview and my battery is sitting in the middle of the road

You see, the Opel GT had the battery on a tray forward of the radiator, and since it had long since rotted away, it just sat on the nose, which was also rotten, and since I had several cars and one [previously] good battery, the terminals were loosish. Hit some imaginary bump and the battery just slid out of the car

Car didn't miss a beat.

I stopped, picked up my bleeding battery and drove on to work. Either the Ebrake worked or it happened to be a level patch of road, I cannot remember, but if not, I would have been living the gate scene from 'The Gods Must be Crazy'
Threw the battery back in during lunch break, got a jump at midnight and drove home. Got a junkyard battery the next day.

#13 ·
Update

did a 200 mile trip today. No issues with shifting, power etc.. and no CEL or TCU lights despite driving the vehicle hard and a few redlines.

1/2 way thru the trip the fuel gauge went blank and low fuel light came on. Once again the bluetooth code scanner came in handy and detected a P0461 Fuel Level Sensor A circuit issue. I rest the code and fuel gauge started working again. Filled up the tank just for good measure.

I think its time to change the battery on this 400. Any recommendations?

#15 ·
I think Interstate makes one of the few that fit. You will see many comments in favor of lightweight and/or racing-style batteries and nothing against them, and of course they weigh a lot less, but a "regular" battery may be best depending on what kind of driving you do. Lotus seem to be famous for mystical parasitic drains, so the advantage of a regular battery may be that you can go a week (or two, YMMV) without attaching a battery maintainer and still be okay. But I keep mine on most of the time.

#17 ·
I realize this is an old post, but curious if the new battery solved the P0461 code issue. I had one of those show up in my 400 last week. I was able to clear the code using my scanner, and so did have the battery load tested at AutoZone (it passed). I have an appointment at the dealer next week to hear what they say.

#18 ·
He was having P0451 issues not 61

#19 ·
"Luckily I have Bluetooth code scanner always connected"

Isn't this known to cause transmission telltale lights??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.