The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Id like to lower my Evora 400 about 1.5-1.75 inches. I was considering the lowering cups but .75 inches is not low enough. I see the Nitron Fast Road, will they lower the car in the range, i want and still have a decent ride? @ around $2k they seem to be the best option?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I too would like to know this. Does anyone know if the BOE lowering cups cause any rubbing, especially under hard braking, cornering or other track conditions? Are the BOE cups primarily intended for looks, or do they have any performance benefits?

Similar to OP, I am curious about how the Nitrons compare in performance to the stock bilsteins of the Evora 400.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I’ve recently lowered my car with the boe cups. I haven’t tracked the car, but thus far, no rubbing or issues on the street.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've seen before and after pics on evera 400 with cups installed. Its unnoticeable really from the pics I've seen. I don't see any meaningful reviews on Nitrons although of course the resellers say they are by far better.

·
Illegal Alien
4,983 Posts
Id like to lower my Evora 400 about 1.5-1.75 inches. I was considering the lowering cups but .75 inches is not low enough. I see the Nitron Fast Road, will they lower the car in the range, i want and still have a decent ride? @ around $2k they seem to be the best option?

Thanks in advance.
But Why? Lowering the car that much will probably screw up a greatly handling and tuned ride. Lotus did lower the ride on the Sport 410 and GT410, GT430 Sport, GT430 (w/race pack) and the federal GT's; they lowered the car 5 mm front and rear whether fitted with the Sport tuned Bilsteins or the Race Ohlins TTX's

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
But Why? Lowering the car that much will probably screw up a greatly handling and tuned ride. Lotus did lower the ride on the Sport 410 and GT410, GT430 Sport, GT430 (w/race pack) and the federal GT's; they lowered the car 5 mm front and rear whether fitted with the Sport tuned Bilsteins or the Race Ohlins TTX's
For one, this cars gaps are visually retarded looking. Seconding im not aware of any car on the planet that by lowering the car it has hampered handling (rougher yes but not performance handling), thus that's exactly why they lowered the GT410, 430 etc. Id like to lower the car for those reasons.

I parked next to a new stock civic, the gaps were the same and the bumper had the same ground clearance as well, not cool :oops:

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
im not aware of any car on the planet that by lowering the car it has hampered handling (rougher yes but not performance handling),
There are several parametersin the suspension geometry that are greatly affected by ride height, but it is not linear. Some lowering will help if it was set too high to begin with, but there is an optimum height that is above ground. Go below that, and handling suffers. So every single car on the planet has an optimum ride height, and going below that will hamper the handling beyond just being too stiff. Now, I am not claiming to know that height for the Evora, and evidence (5mm drop on other trims) points towards the base model being too high, just adding the info that it is entirely possible to hurt things by going too low

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anyone have any experience with Nitrons compared with stock?
We can debate why performance cars objectives are to be as low as possible to the ground (with correct geometery) on a different thread, but why debate the obvious.

·
Registered
563 Posts
If you want to lower it because you think it will look cooler, that's fine. I think people are just saying that may affect the handling and lower does not always mean it will handle better and it may actually be worse. I mean Lotus, even on the more sportier versions only lowered it 5mm. That's like 1/5th of an inch. Would love to see before and after pics though if you do do it.

·
Vendor
1,230 Posts
We installed one of the first sets of lowering cups on the shop 400 and it greatly improves the look of the car and gets rid of the gaps.
Along with the cups you can also change the locator clip position on the body of the shocks to get a bit more lowering if you want, we opted not leave it in the stock position on ours.
No adverse affects on the handling that I have noticed driving it for about the 6k miles they have been installed.
Any lower than that and you will be rubbing over bumps, dips and driveways pretty bad. No rubbing with the cups!
Obviously for the best adjust-ability and to tailor it further to your liking coilovers would be the way to go.

Picture for reference --- you can sort of see the stock 400 next to it as a comparison.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you want to lower it because you think it will look cooler, that's fine. I think people are just saying that may affect the handling and lower does not always mean it will handle better and it may actually be worse. I mean Lotus, even on the more sportier versions only lowered it 5mm. That's like 1/5th of an inch. Would love to see before and after pics though if you do do it.
Mostly appearance as im not going to track often, but it will also make it handle better. As my S lap times were faster 1.5 inches lower (i dont remeber what shocks it had). I had the same issues here 5 years ago with modifications to the engine and got similar answers "The car is fast enough", "Why would you need more speed?", "Changing out the pulley wont really increase HP", "more HP,doesn't mean your lap times will increase", Lotus is a momentum car, it doesn't need additional HP", "Lotus is lighter than most cars, it doesnt need more HP". I got fed-up and sold the car when a base corvette lap times were significantly faster, yes we swapped cars back and forth. Its was just slower, the 400 is noticeably faster in every aspect than my S with tune and BOE intake etc.

I will post some pics as ive decided to upgrade with the Nitrons, also how they ride and any noticeable performance benefits.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We installed one of the first sets of lowering cups on the shop 400 and it greatly improves the look of the car and gets rid of the gaps.
Along with the cups you can also change the locator clip position on the body of the shocks to get a bit more lowering if you want, we opted not leave it in the stock position on ours.
No adverse affects on the handling that I have noticed driving it for about the 6k miles they have been installed.
Any lower than that and you will be rubbing over bumps, dips and driveways pretty bad. No rubbing with the cups!
Obviously for the best adjust-ability and to tailor it further to your liking coilovers would be the way to go.

Picture for reference --- you can sort of see the stock 400 next to it as a comparison.
View attachment 1269256
Thats more noticeable than prior pictures ive seen. Are those stock tires, spacers? Looks AWESOME really

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

View attachment 1269256
Looks more like 1"+ inches?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Illegal Alien
4,983 Posts
Mostly appearance as im not going to track often, but it will also make it handle better. As my S lap times were faster 1.5 inches lower (i dont remeber what shocks it had). I had the same issues here 5 years ago with modifications to the engine and got similar answers "The car is fast enough", "Why would you need more speed?", "Changing out the pulley wont really increase HP", "more HP,doesn't mean your lap times will increase", Lotus is a momentum car, it doesn't need additional HP", "Lotus is lighter than most cars, it doesnt need more HP". I got fed-up and sold the car when a base corvette lap times were significantly faster, yes we swapped cars back and forth. Its was just slower, the 400 is noticeably faster in every aspect than my S with tune and BOE intake etc.

I will post some pics as ive decided to upgrade with the Nitrons, also how they ride and any noticeable performance benefits.
I don't see that we all said don't increase the power. I was an early adapter of modding S model back in 2012 and again in 2016, both times with tunes, and exhaust. I was going back in 2017 to add new cam shafts; however, a change in business climate precluded me keeping my older Evora while adding the Sport 410. No way is a 400 quicker than a well tuned S with headers, hell I don't even think my 410 with headers (still on factory tune) is quicker than my old S++. As to warnings against going with a pulley change, that still stands, pure physics sir; the TVS 1320 was already running at just beyond peak thermal efficiency, spinning it faster was producing power robing heat at a faster rat than power itself, i.e. the reason Lotus moved on to the TVS 1740 with intercooler and the aftermarket to the TVS 1900 with intercooler. What many people do say is don't bother trying to make the Evora a 5 or 600 Hp car, if that's what you need, spend your money elsewhere unless you really want to spend $60,000 on engine (25k) and transmission (35k).

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't see that we all said don't increase the power. I was an early adapter of modding S model back in 2012 and again in 2016, both times with tunes, and exhaust. I was going back in 2017 to add new cam shafts; however, a change in business climate precluded me keeping my older Evora while adding the Sport 410. No way is a 400 quicker than a well tuned S with headers, hell I don't even think my 410 with headers (still on factory tune) is quicker than my old S++. As to warnings against going with a pulley change, that still stands, pure physics sir; the TVS 1320 was already running at just beyond peak thermal efficiency, spinning it faster was producing power robing heat at a faster rat than power itself, i.e. the reason Lotus moved on to the TVS 1740 with intercooler and the aftermarket to the TVS 1900 with intercooler. What many people do say is don't bother trying to make the Evora a 5 or 600 Hp car, if that's what you need, spend your money elsewhere unless you really want to spend $60,000 on engine (25k) and transmission (35k).
I'm happy with 450hp, my S had maybe 380hp, 4.3 sec 0-60, fast enough for some people but kinda lame when an Stelvio SUV i had did 3.6 stock and 3.4 flash tuned. As I understand we can get up to 475 (crank)with bolt on mods/tune for roughly $7k not possible with my S at that time due to mini-supercharger. I'm going to try the 30hp inexpensive tune. Its not going to be C8 quick off the line but very respectable with nice handling. Its not just going fast all the time for some of us, its knowing we can go fast.

·
Premium Member
6,761 Posts
Those gappers amuse me. My track days are not dependent on being BMOC. I have run with plenty of bigger HP cars. They kill me on straights but I have a ball outbraking and cornering most of them unless they running gummy slicks. The tune has definitely upped the anty about who I can play with. The 600LT I got to play with on a twisty Palmer last week was as much fun as I have ever had on track.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts