The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've thought for a long time, when the time comes to unload my 17 Evora 400, it's probably going to be a somewhat difficult car to move (I live in a very rural area). The car is in great shape (garage kept, 2/3rds bra, etc.). Solid red, pretty standard options (6MT, sub, etc., but no crazy expensive lightweight options or anything like that). I have 21,000 miles on it right now.

And honestly, I have no idea what it's actually worth.

A year ago I was considering a new NSX when they had the $20K rebate going, and an Acura dealer offered me $45,000 on a trade. Not a typo. To be fair, they told me they really didn't want it because they knew they'd just end up auctioning it anyway. And unfortunately, I don't have room for anymore toys without getting rid of something (needless to say, there is not an NSX in my garage!).

There is an upstart used sports/exotic car dealer in my area, that since COVID started, has been gently hounding me to let them consign my Evora. I've been considering it because I don't really go to any car events anymore (and don't plan to) because I've been taking COVID and distancing pretty seriously. I forget the details, but I think they take 7% commission, which is fine. Last I spoke to this guy I said if I could walk away after all is said and done with $60K in my pocket, I'd probably do it.

I've looked on eBay and Autotrader, and there's a good bit of variation. I know it's a one-off car, and in the end, I'm likely just going to keep it.

But I'm curious for some of you that have bought/sold a few of these cars over time. What's your take on the market for a car like this? Is low to mid 60's a fair private party price? Is it too high?

Mine has miles because I bought it to drive it. Not look at it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I don’t know if this would help but dealers are taking it in at around $50k (on the phone) as I told them I have a 400 to trade.

They said that they are getting more reimbursement selling the GT.

Looking at cars.com tells you that $60K range is a good start if you want to sell it privately. $55k and you’ll sell it in a day.

Your mileage is higher than most 400 but one who appreciate the car will understand that.

Good luck.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don’t know if this would help but dealers are taking it in at around $50k (on the phone) as I told them I have a 400 to trade.

They said that they are getting more reimbursement selling the GT.

Looking at cars.com tells you that $60K range is a good start if you want to sell it privately. $55k and you’ll sell it in a day.

Your mileage is higher than most 400 but one who appreciate the car will understand that.

Good luck.
Appreciate the insight... whatcha buying? 😁

·
Registered
36 Posts
All depends on options, etc etc etc. I just bought one 3 weeks ago. I didnt see any examples worth buying under 65K.

Most the 55-65K cars are IPS cars.

I was going to buy the Motorsports green one in TX for about 72K, but a high option Isotope Green came up.

I paid 80 for it. The seller Paid 100K for it exactly a year ago, and it was a 115K sticker car.

Your miles are higher, but I think you could get 58-62K without issue.

Good luck!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Pretty spot on. TS said his Evora is pretty basic and has higher mileage. Good luck with sale.

I also want to add that with the addition of 2020 GT. This bring the 400 price down until they stop the 2020. I don’t think it will go down to $50k two years from now.

And since you said you are buying the NSX, it can be a great deal because NSX has a somewhat proper super car status and the price may go up in the future.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Appreciate the insight fellas. I really don't think I'm going to sell or trade the Evora, I've just been curious about what the market was actually like for such a thinly traded car.

I really love the new NSX (especially in Thermal Orange). But I have a 5 year old daughter who loves going for rides in the "vroom vroom." There aren't many cars in this ballpark (besides Porsche and a Ferrari California) that offer 2+2 seating. I really like the car and I got an extended warranty from Fidelity for like $3,600 for 4 years and 48K miles. I think I just get antsy sometimes.

If only there was a way to get the Plack exhaust, but keep it valved.

Thanks again for the ideas guys.

·
Registered
292 Posts
helado - have you done the 3rd cat delete? The car gets much louder but the valve still works. You honestly will be amazed at how great it sounds!

·
Registered
400 Posts
I got an extended warranty from Fidelity for like $3,600 for 4 years and 48K miles. I think I just get antsy sometimes.
Wait, you have an extended warranty for the Evora 400? I searched last year and could not find one (the dealer was also no help).

I also second the 3rd cat removal sound. Very different. The videos do not do it justice (perhaps $hitty phone mics).

·
Registered
36 Posts
Appreciate the insight fellas. I really don't think I'm going to sell or trade the Evora, I've just been curious about what the market was actually like for such a thinly traded car.

I really love the new NSX (especially in Thermal Orange). But I have a 5 year old daughter who loves going for rides in the "vroom vroom." There aren't many cars in this ballpark (besides Porsche and a Ferrari California) that offer 2+2 seating. I really like the car and I got an extended warranty from Fidelity for like $3,600 for 4 years and 48K miles. I think I just get antsy sometimes.

If only there was a way to get the Plack exhaust, but keep it valved.

Thanks again for the ideas guys.
Get the 3rd Cat delete.

Also, Larini makes a Valved exhaust for our cars. I plan on getting it this winter, as I love some noise, but when doing 80 on the highway, I like it to be quiet.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
helado - have you done the 3rd cat delete? The car gets much louder but the valve still works. You honestly will be amazed at how great it sounds!
Yup! Did that mod within a week of buying the car. Haven't heard a straight piped Evora 400 in real life though.

Keep in mind, I came to the Evora from a straight piped R8. So my scale of loud is probably warped...along with my ear drums.

But I don't want to do that again. The R8 sounded like an absolute beast. But sometimes, especially at night, I don't want my car to sound like a beast. Or at least my neighbors don't!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wait, you have an extended warranty for the Evora 400? I searched last year and could not find one (the dealer was also no help).

I also second the 3rd cat removal sound. Very different. The videos do not do it justice (perhaps $hitty phone mics).
Yes Sir! I searched a long time to find one, so I eventually called Audi of Fort Lauderdale (where I bought my R8) and asked if they could sell me an extended warranty for the Evora, even though I didn't buy it there. They shot me straight on the R8, so I figured why not? Talked to the finance manager (PM me if you'd like contact info) and she said she could do it. She ran me quotes from Fidelity for every deductible ($0, $250, $500, etc.) out 2 - 6 years I believe, for each coverage level (I get the Platinum coverage because it's exclusionary coverage...if it isn't listed as "excluded" then it's automatically covered).

I picked Platinum for 4 years and 48,000 miles from the start date (which was April of this year...when my factory warranty ran out). It was like $3,650. I've already used it once due to a CEL for a bad sensor. Took it to my independent mechanic. He got it authorized by Fidelity (first time I've used the coverage, never needed it on the R8), and they paid him and boom, bang, done. It was only like a $600 job, but it only cost me $250. I think at a dealer it would've been more because my guy only charged like $90 an hour for labor.

Only thing I was disappointed with was Fidelity said they only cover 1 hour of diagnostic time, which I don't recall reading in the contract. Since I've known this mechanic, he wrapped the extra 20 minutes into the labor charge.

Pro Tip: Fidelity has no access to Lotus shop manuals that show labor times for various repairs. So they are basically at the whim of the mechanic, unless it's a large enough job that they would send an independent person to verify the job.

Anyway, when I ditched the R8, I still had more than half of the warranty left, which they promptly refunded me the pro rata portion (facilitated through Audi of Fort Lauderdale), no questions asked.

In my experiences so far, both seem like very reputable companies.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Then I am confused - why would you want it louder than it already is?? I cannot imagine wanting a car any louder than an Evora 400 with the 3rd cat delete - and one of my other cars is the outrageously loud GT350R!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Don't get me wrong, I love the sound. It's more 600cc super sport bike, while the R8 was more NASCAR / Harley. But the Evora is quiet compared to a straight piped v8.

I think it's also that the group of guys I do most of my cruising / cars & coffee / etc. drive an Aventador SVJ, a VFR supercharged Huracan, straight piped GT3 RS, and as of last week, a Senna.

My car is the quietest of the bunch. So maybe it's relative. But I think it would be sweet to be able to go from straight pipes to civilized at the push of a button.

Edit: Champale...did you do anything to the GT350R mod-wise?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
or get a titanium exhaust and save ~40 lbs
Good point. I can never bring myself to spend money on lightening a vehicle. I'm 6' 200 lbs. Ever since I read about weight saving mods on a CBR forum, where someone responded with "it would be cheaper for me to lose 20 pounds on the treadmill," it made me think the same.

I could spend a couple thousand bucks on a titanium exhaust...or I could go for a walk and eat more salads. 😂

·
Registered
292 Posts
Lightweight battery is the best bang for the buck in terms of shaving weight off.

Sounds like you run with some cool cars for sure but man oh man I feel like the Evora 400 with the 3rd cat delete is already slightly on the far side of acceptable when I am out strafing back roads at high rpm. And I love loud cars and sportbikes so I am not some Prius weenie!

Just took delivery of my 2020 350R about 6 weeks ago and it's stock. Amazing car.

·
Illegal Alien
5,138 Posts
Lightweight battery is the best bang for the buck in terms of shaving weight off.

Sounds like you run with some cool cars for sure but man oh man I feel like the Evora 400 with the 3rd cat delete is already slightly on the far side of acceptable when I am out strafing back roads at high rpm. And I love loud cars and sportbikes so I am not some Prius weenie!

Just took delivery of my 2020 350R about 6 weeks ago and it's stock. Amazing car.
And second is replacing factory boat anchor aka muffler, an easy 12 to 25 lbs savings there and also out of the ass.

·
Registered
4 Posts

I’d be super interested in your thoughts on the 350 vs the Evora. I’m getting ready to sell my 17’ and the Evora 400/GT is on the short list.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts