The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Evora 400 Radio - Sirius

It appears that the standard radio in the 400 - the Alpine INE-W990BT - does not have Sirius, nor is Sirius capable. It's not clear that any non-US Alpine unit currently manufactured offers Sirius. It seems that very few US units do, in favor of Apple and Android, I guess.

Having said that, I'd like to have it. Has anyone added Sirius to the 400 system (maybe someone has figured out how to do this)? If not, it seems like the previous Evora unit (INE-W920R, MY'13 and later with Tech Pack) should be a plug and play? But would probably need several add on pieces, antenna, etc.?

I'm not interested in any other changes/upgrades, just the addition of Sirius.

As sourcing a previous-gen Evora radio could be difficult, it appears the following units might also be potential fits: INE-W960HDMI, iLX-207.

Any comments are appreciated.

·
Registered
790 Posts
None are likely plug and play - Alpine rarely re-uses wiring harnesses. So changing it will likely be the same as switching to any other headunit you like. It's odd the 990BT isn't satellite ready, almost all their units are. That seems to be an oddball unit. Any audio shop should be able to remove the current unit, build you a harness adapter, and install a satellite module for you.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I had swapped Alpine's in my Elise, and the new unit plugged right in.

I looked at the wiring of both units, and almost everything is exactly the same, other than that the US unit has a lead for a power antenna, and the Sirius port on the US model is used for the dashboard interface on the European model. Since Lotus doesn't have aftermarket radios (which in Lotus' case is OEM!) interface with any dash information, this isn't used anyway, I suspect.

I will also prefer Sirius traffic, as opposed to TomTom. I didn't even know they were in business anymore; I guess the US market isn't really that important after all (;--). Looks like TomTom is standard for Subaru, Dodge Truck, Smart and Fiat - and Lotus (which of these things is not like the other?).

·
Registered
790 Posts
Well, interesting is the 990BT doesn't seem to actually be sold for the US market. It's odd that Lotus left it in here, because the one from the S1 Evora seemed like it was different between the Euro and US models(* this might not be true and might have just been luck).

I suppose if you keep to the same generation it might be plug 'n play - it's new enough you might get lucky? I have the iLX-207 in mine, and honestly I'm not a huge fan - I haven't found any of their interfaces to be very responsive or intuitive for use while driving. If you depend on navigation and traffic without using your phone though, it's not an option for you. You have to go to their "big boy" units. I personally prefer Waze / Google Maps and Android Auto. With the newest generation of headunits just coming out now doing both Android Auto and CarPlay wireless for Waze/etc, it's worth considering.

Anyhow - adding the satellite module should be very simple once you have a unit that can handle it. As best I can tell the (stock S1) module is just sitting on the aluminum crossmember behind the radio in the dash, along with the GPS antenna/etc. Just plugs into the headunit from there.

The stock S1 radio was already using a small harness between it and the main car harness, so the shop that did mine just built a new one so I still have the whole stock harness and unit that I could theoretically put back in.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. Appreciate the additional info. I did see the ILX-207, too, but was hoping that the two INE units would share enough basic architecture that it would be an easier swap

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update - the US 400 has the INE-960. It is possible to connect a Sirius receiver to this unit, however, it does not appear they pre-installed the antenna, so that's a pain.

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
My 2017, in Canada, also came without Sirius, but it has a cup holder! I suppose one could use the fm transmitter in the Sirius unit. Antenna could sit on the dash. Ya, wires running everywhere! I have put a couple dozen albums on a Micro SD card in the glove box. Side effect is no commercials or babbling DJ's. I got very tired of the VJ's and their self promoting dibble on Sirius.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I think I will add a sirius tuner to the INE-960 in my Evora 400

Has anyone done this and if so where did you put the antenna? The GPS antenna for the headunit appears to be in the driver footwell. Would that work or would it be better to find somewhere under the front clamshell for it?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yes, that is exactly what I was going to use. Where did you put the antenna- can it be inside the car? Does it really need to go on the roof?

·
Vendor
1,218 Posts
Yes, that is exactly what I was going to use. Where did you put the antenna- can it be inside the car? Does it really need to go on the roof?
I ran the antenna up under the dash panel as far forward as I could but found that the stations would cut in and out pretty badly.
Moved it to the windshield above the mirror and that helped but still got some reception issues here and there.
Once I upgraded the headunit this winter it now works flawlessly! - Go figure.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I think the antenna unit can be outside so I am wondering if I can put it somewhere under the front clamshell- for example where the brake/clutch fluid reservoir is or possibly on the valance where the front wiper is? I am sure its going to involve moving it around to get it to work optimally.

·
Premium Member
6,341 Posts
Funny, just dumped Sirious today on all remaining rides. Sound quality has never improved and programming is stale.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I only have it to listed to premier league and champions league football/soccer, some college sports and some news. I agree that the whole thing is not worth the money. On the other hand, as a life long Tottenham supporter listening to the Champions League semi final last year while driving back home from St Louis was worth the annual cost alone.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Funny, just dumped Sirious today on all remaining rides. Sound quality has never improved and programming is stale.
I did the same recently on all my cars, wife's and daughter. Fun call to make....they really don't take no easily. I did this after daughter talked me into trying Spotify and I have found that is much better and for $14.99 a month I get a family plan that covers all of us to have our own accounts. I would not want to be an investor in Satellite as it seems the younger generation have no need for it

·
Premium Member
6,341 Posts
Thanks Red....will look into those options. I loved jam On but its MIA know...Phish radio. My Ipods have 15800 songs in them so I have the music thing covered, just used it to hear some new stuff...but same song 2-4x/day....Adele syndrome.

·
Registered
71 Posts
For what its worth this is where I ended up putting the antenna. I live in a rural part of Kentucky so there are unlikely to be any terrestrial repeaters in my area. Based on a quick drive this morning I am getting good reception.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts