The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any experience going from the stock 400 exhaust with a cat delete pipe to a Larini with a cat delete pipe? I love the sound of the 400 without the third cat. Not sure if/how adding a Larini to the setup would improve the sound/performance.

Thanks

·
Illegal Alien
5,138 Posts
I've never driven a car with the stock 400 exhaust as I only had the Ti version and my Larini on the Series 1 was only in tandem to car fitted with headers and single Cat. But here goes my comparison.

1) Series 1 S, stock ... quite as Camry, i.e. is it even running
2) Series 1 S w/ headers, Larini (valved), and single metallic sport cat in system ... civilized with valve closed and easy to carry on a conversation; w/ valve open a screaming throaty tone at full rpm; V12 Ferrari-ish, I've been told from people that have heard it on the track.

3) 4xx w/ stock Ti muffler ... very civilized but more exotic tones than with standard 400 muffler
4) 4xx w/ headers, stock Ti, and single cat in system; high rpm scream but much more toned down than #2

I know, none of these comps' are your situation but what I would take from it is the Larini is nice on an open exhaust, but still too quiet for pure stock. Your case of running with stock exhaust manifold/cats and 3rd Cat delete (the Euro setup) will suit the Larini well and would be about #3.5 in my book. Plus worth it on its own merits, you save about 12-14 lbs over stock muffler.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have a Larini exhaust and the Komo-Tec 460 kit so headers to exhaust is replaced. This combo is insanely loud but also sounds fantastic.

You still have a valve and it is astonishingly effective.

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
I did 3rd cat delete and Larini at same time so cant really answer your question but it made a huge difference. Have a friend I drive with who has a 400 with stock exhaust but planning to do 3rd cat delete so will be interesting to compare difference. One of the favorite sounds my car now makes is intake, I did the GRP CAI and it sounds amazing when accelerating, well worth the $525

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea a valved exhaust would be a must for driving through the neighborhood. I've been happy with the setup currently just tempted by the Larini but unsure how it is really going to change the tone of the exhaust. The GRP CAI is next on the list of upgrades early next year hopefully!

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I did 3rd cat delete and Larini at same time so cant really answer your question but it made a huge difference. Have a friend I drive with who has a 400 with stock exhaust but planning to do 3rd cat delete so will be interesting to compare difference. One of the favorite sounds my car now makes is intake, I did the GRP CAI and it sounds amazing when accelerating, well worth the $525
We’ll have to put ours side by side now to hear how different it is. You know how easy it is to get me to buy more car parts

·
Registered
126 Posts
We’ll have to put ours side by side now to hear how different it is. You know how easy it is to get me to buy more car parts
The difference between the valve open and valve closed with the other Komo-Tec modification is pretty amazing. With the valve closed it sounds sporty but not at all obnoxious.

With the valve open it is ear shattering at high RPMs.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
The difference between the valve open and valve closed with the other Komo-Tec modification is pretty amazing. With the valve closed it sounds sporty but not at all obnoxious.

With the valve open it is ear shattering at high RPMs.
I still can’t believe I haven’t seen your car in person yet. Benvie told me it sounds amazing, but insanely loud

·
Registered
400 Posts
It sounds so much better than this video under load and during downshifts. I haven't found a video to do it justice.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I thought I was going to want an exhaust, and I still might at some point, but I did the decat pipe first and it made a much bigger difference than I was expecting. When the car was completely stock I thought it sounded good with the valve open but it was a little quieter than I liked until I hit around 5k rpm when it would really sing the song of it's people and it sounded glorious. The decat pipe basically amplified that range so it started really belting it out around 3.5k at WOT and mad the volume at full song incredible. I haven't really had the urge to further modify the exhaust for noise for a while. At this point I only really want headers and a tune for power. I think the next modification will be the GRP intake for more supercharger noises.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Here's mine with the Larini valved muffler and Larini 3rd cat delete pipe. I love the sound and for me the noise level is just right. It's not quiet, but it's far from being obnoxious. I have driven a non-S with the Plack exhaust and it was much louder than my car.

Valve is open (sport mode on) at the beginning and for the hard accelerations. I think I had closed it for the slow pull away (sport mode off). Intake is stock with an AEM dryflow drop-in air filter. It does add a little more blower whine but you don't really hear it in the video.

Reactions: ostatem3
1 - 15 of 15 Posts