The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It takes too many button presses to get the trunk latch release mechanism to make a noise, let alone open the trunk. Most of the button presses there is nothing, no response whatsoever. Eventually it opens.

Anyone else experience this?

Makes no difference with a new key fob battery.

·
Registered
249 Posts
It takes too many button presses to get the trunk latch release mechanism to make a noise, let alone open the trunk. Most of the button presses there is nothing, no response whatsoever. Eventually it opens.

Anyone else experience this?

Makes no difference with a new key fob battery.

Usually takes couple weeks practice to figure the right sequence of the double click :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
I’ve found through a bit of trial and error that holding the fob over the left side of the trunk near the quarter panel usually works.

And pushing it about 15 times with a curse spread here and there will get the car to lock and beep.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I’ve found through a bit of trial and error that holding the fob over the left side of the trunk near the quarter panel usually works.

And pushing it about 15 times with a curse spread here and there will get the car to lock and beep.
I do all that, then give up and go press the release button inside the cabin.

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
I had a lot of trouble with mine when I first got car but much better now after dealership took a look at it. They put a camera in truck and saw where it was striking the latch when you pushed button was not quite right and they made an adjustment. Also what they found interesting was my friends car was in there at the same time and his was having problems also so they went to apply fix. Then they noticed his setup was a little different than mine, seems Lotus made a change to get it to work better. And according to VIN# my car is only 11 vehicles newer than his. They ordered the newer part that was on my car for his and it fixed it

·
Registered
400 Posts
I had a lot of trouble with mine when I first got car but much better now after dealership took a look at it. They put a camera in truck and saw where it was striking the latch when you pushed button was not quite right and they made an adjustment. Also what they found interesting was my friends car was in there at the same time and his was having problems also so they went to apply fix. Then they noticed his setup was a little different than mine, seems Lotus made a change to get it to work better. And according to VIN# my car is only 11 vehicles newer than his. They ordered the newer part that was on my car for his and it fixed it
That may be an example where the certificate of provenance may have some value... if you are in the earlier part of the years batches, you may have some different parts... and can be aware of trouble areas from these forums before your warranty expires. One weird change is the base of the supercharger. Mine is black but earlier and later ones are bare metal... no pattern that I've seen.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I’ve found through a bit of trial and error that holding the fob over the left side of the trunk ntear the quarter panel usually works.

All the while standing on one leg and facing east?

·
Registered
390 Posts
There were some parts upgraded, my December 2016 built had the latch replaced & no issues since.

·
Registered
288 Posts
With mine, I figured out that if I slow down my presses to about one second it works first try every time (as long as I'm <6ft from the car). So I press the button and hold for one second, wait one second, press and hold the button again for one second, then it pops every time. Key fob range is another story, and the fob has a brand new battery. :shrug:

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
trunk latch

Agree on the timing... you have to press once... count to 2 quickly and press again
I never had this trouble with the '12 Evora.

Once again the engineers at Lotus got involved making things more complex. Why?

I still cannot get over the programming that went into the ECU generating unnecessary CEL codes, e.g., transmission error when the car is in park.

Experimenting with the timing between button presses appears to work!? At least now I can get to the golf clubs.

·
Registered
43 Posts
With mine, I figured out that if I slow down my presses to about one second it works first try every time (as long as I'm <6ft from the car). So I press the button and hold for one second, wait one second, press and hold the button again for one second, then it pops every time. Key fob range is another story, and the fob has a brand new battery. :shrug:
This is exactly what I do on mine and it works every time, haven't tired longer distances though

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
I did the Push Button dance for months. The Dealer worked on it Three times, now it works with one push of either button. Have the trunk adjusted!

·
Registered
93 Posts
This is pretty easy to fix yourself. I also took it to the dealer but they did a weak job. Assuming you have the latest part updates, here is what you want to do.

Loosen up the two 8mm bolts on the lock loop (inside the boot), take a look at the witness marks made by the two bolts on the loop plate and adjust accordingly - probably moving the latch plate "up" towards the hatch.

In my case I did this adjustment and it worked great. For about 2 weeks. Doing it again, I red locktited the bolts and added lockwashers as well. Lastly, lubed the lock assembly itself with graphite spray.

This now works well, the only other thing to remember is to not slam the trunk, since this will cause the loop/plate component to eventually go out of alignment.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A bit of followup. No doubt having the dealer adjust is the best solution. I noticed the latch mechanism moving parts seemed to have much friction when latching/unlatching. I oiled/lubed the mating surfaces. I lengthened the ribber bungs to ≈ 1.6" and the amount of force needed to close the hatch seemed too much. So I went the other direction to ≈ 1.375" and it opened after 2 button presses for the first time. Less tension on the latch appears to work better on this car?

Reactions: kestrou
1 - 19 of 19 Posts