The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, looking at recommendations for possible weight reduction. I suspect a carbon fiber trunk would be hugely beneficial, I've also seen carbon fiber roofs, I'm curious on seat options, even if it comes down to bolt on seats with no adjustment options. I love this car and think it would be great to get it lighter. Just a thread for tossing ideas around.

·
Registered
125 Posts
The biggest savings from what I can tell will be carbon / fiberglass hatch to remove the glass, li-ion battery, exhaust, seats. If you want to go really crazy you can remove creature comforts like the radio, speakers, and air conditioning. That's really the only low hanging fruit. Everything else will be minimal weight savings.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Exhaust, LIfepo battery, seats, wheels, brake discs (rotors), Engine cover if glass change to louvre. After that then increasingly expensive - All cf body parts you can get hold of and change to GT 430 Ohlins suspension, remove radio air con and any excess wiring for same.

·
Premium Member
6,504 Posts
#1 stock exhaust is ridiculous
#2. Lithium Battery. Biggest Shorai is only 4.55lbs!
3. Rear hatch glass etc
4. Girodiscs... unsprung weight the best weight loss

Evora S weight Loss

Stock Weight 3168lbs

+2 lbs harnesses

-3lbs BOE CAI

-30lbs stock w/cat 48.1lbs - 2bular ~18.5lbs

-9lbs (2+0), remove cargo net setup, bar, etc

-35+lbs (stock battery 40.4w/housing) – (Shorai 4.55 lbs) = 35.85lbs/padding

-13.5 lbs Front & Rear Ultradiscs

-10lbs Removal of rear hatch glass, CF sail panel, CF louvers

So far--> ~3070- lbs

·
Premium Member
6,504 Posts
Agreed. The 18/19 forged units had the best weight numbers out there and I believe julian and my weight loss stuff have others listed. Unsprung weight once again. I do not recommend the TD1.3 ZF&R 18's like I have as they still rub the lower leading edge of the A arms on occassion even after trimming the flash from the A arm casting.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I found my semi forged aftermarket rims were lighter in 20x10 than the fully forged lotus 19x9.5 rears if that helps. I didn’t think the forged 18/19 Lotus wheels were particularly light.

·
Illegal Alien
4,746 Posts
I found my semi forged aftermarket rims were lighter in 20x10 than the fully forged lotus 19x9.5 rears if that helps. I didn’t think the forged 18/19 Lotus wheels were particularly light.
What are your wheels and specs (offset)

·
shay2nak
24,937 Posts
HRE R101LW FTW. They are as light if not slightly lighter than the BBS FI-R. I bought a set for my F80 M3 and with tires the HREs saved 42lbs from the 20" 666M ZCP wheels. Crazy. I went down to 19s and the rears were wider. I immediately felt the difference. I have no doubt a set can be made for the Evora. They're not cheap though. Fronts were 16/17lbs rear was 18lbs? IIRC

·
Premium Member
6,504 Posts
What does that ride weigh on the scale shay??

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
I sold my OEM 19/20 Forged wheels to get this:

BC Forged RZ05 wheels
front 18 = 18.7lbs
rear 18 = 20 lbs.
the oem 19/20 is very heavy compared to these..

·
shay2nak
24,937 Posts
What does that ride weigh on the scale shay??
Heavier than I was hoping. lol

With those wheels and literally a full tank of gas (16 gal) was 3608 lbs. Was hoping it was 50lbs less than that. Not many options on it. 6MT, rear sunshade, basic leather, comp pack. Was on the fence about the ceramic brakes. Would have saved another ~18 lbs. I guess with a half tank it would be 3566 lbs. My goal is to get it to 3400 lbs or less.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Having had more than my fair share of Elise / Exige / 2-11, I bought a '14 Evora S a few years back & thought I'd be able to shave weight out of it. I started with easy wins i.e. CAI, removing engine cover etc... was starting to look into CF hatch & lighter exhaust, 18" wheels/tyres (light weight batteries don't like the heat here) ... but then you start totting-up & realise its $$$ and if you go further (i.e. start thinning-out the interior) you move away from what the Evora is all about i.e. sporty GT. For me, here in the UAE, it would have been better to buy an Evora Sport 410 than mess with the Evora S... but you'd still have a +/- 1400 KG Lotus.

If you really want a harder edge, lighter Lotus than the Evora, then an Exige is the logical route, with the Exige V6 @ 1150 KG or the older Exige I4 SC @ 900KG depending on options. So thats what I did next, back to the Exige, full circle :).

·
Registered
223 Posts
I will state the obvious. Weight difference will only ever be felt by racers driving at 9/10ths or above and who are fast to begin with. Weight savings - when talking about 2% or 3% of starting curb weight fully wet - will only be felt by very fast competition drivers. For everyone else, it's just a philosophical money pit to make us feel better. Ain't nothing wrong with that, but just pointing it out.

·
Registered
246 Posts
my Evora is ~120 lbs lighter with the titanium exhaust, Shorai battery, and CF tailgate. So far i'm at ~3048 lbs (3168-120). I'm not a race driver but I can feel the driving dynamics changed after losing that 120 lbs.

·
Illegal Alien
4,746 Posts
my Evora is ~120 lbs lighter with the titanium exhaust, Shorai battery, and CF tailgate. So far i'm at ~3048 lbs (3168-120). I'm not a race driver but I can feel the driving dynamics changed after losing that 120 lbs.
I agree, you can feel 120 lbs on this car.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Yeah, I think that number would matter. Don’t most of you notice a difference when you have a passenger? Losing 120 pounds is like losing your girlfriend or SO.

·
Premium Member
6,504 Posts
And all out of the rear. Front hooks up at turn entry better, less weight shift etc. Realize the Lotus crowd starts off more savvy or because so many wise owners want to see what their special car can do, they come to forums to learn, they go to HPDE events....Frankly many are current or x racers with the knowledge to realize how special this street car is out of the box.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts