The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody else had the (outside) plastic body panel on their A pillars bow or separate? Mine have developed fairly large gaps between the plastic panel and the structure underneath.

It seems like the adhesive that holds them on has either deteriorated or was insufficient in the beginning. I thought it might be a heat issue because my car is black, but I also noticed it on several other cars at the dealer.

donour

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have had both replaced under warranty - I am about to have the drivers replaced again. It seems to happen.

Good to know. Mine look ok, they have just separated. Surely there is some kind of high-strength/high-temp epoxy that will keep them in place.

donour

·
Registered
788 Posts
I noticed that mine is bowing on both the driver and passenger side. Will need to take it in at the next opportunity. The black plastic panel between the roof and rear window was bowing too, and that part is on order. It's too bad I didn't notice it earlier, I could have ordered both at the same time.

·
Registered
498 Posts
This is a known issue. The plastics on this car hate heat so leaving them in the sun for long hours will make this happen. Parts are only 40 dollars per side most dealers keep them in stock. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
Mine has been replaced 3 times already and it only last about a month or so before it separates again. looks like lotus decided to use a lousy 3M double side tape that does not hold what it get's wet. If you like to keep your car clean and wash it once a week or so then you'll need replacement almost every month. I'm thinking about getting some serious glue and glue it down myself. The dealers work on this is absolutely useless.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Mine has been replaced 3 times already and it only last about a month or so before it separates again. looks like lotus decided to use a lousy 3M double side tape that does not hold what it get's wet. If you like to keep your car clean and wash it once a week or so then you'll need replacement almost every month. I'm thinking about getting some serious glue and glue it down myself. The dealers work on this is absolutely useless.
Agreed double-sided tape doesn't seem like a good design. Do you know the specific tape they use? I wonder if this stuff would be any better:

http://amzn.to/NXeF9O

I haven't had this issue with mine yet (2010 with 4500 miles). I keep it garaged 24/7 and generally just quick detail it rather than wet wash. Then again I also live in Florida where it alternates between a monsoon and an oven - probably the worst climate for the tape when I am out and about in the car.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I would use the same material they use when they put in a new front windshield. It has a little flex to allow the plastic to expand without pulling away from the windshield.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I wash my car every week and park it in 95 degree Florida sun every day and my A pillar is totally fine. Did I get lucky of did lotus anchor mine differently I wonder?

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
I'm thinking about getting some serious glue and glue it down myself. The dealers work on this is absolutely useless.
Don't do that because these parts are susceptible to chipping and cracking over time with UV exposure. Trust me it will as both of mine have and I'm on my second set. You will need to get it replaced and if they're glued down, you'll have trouble removing it. And whatever you do, do not push down on it (it will crack). Check to see if your A-Pillar trim has been mounted correctly with screws on the side (behind the weather seal).

·
Registered
606 Posts
Squidward - is it pretty easy and quick to replace these A pillars? Seems to be from what I've read. I have a feeling I'll be doing this a few times over my ownership as I live in Memphis and the temp and humidity is pretty brutal in summer. Heck - I may just order a pair to keep in the garage.

Anyone have DIY of this?

James

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Squidward - is it pretty easy and quick to replace these A pillars? Seems to be from what I've read. I have a feeling I'll be doing this a few times over my ownership as I live in Memphis and the temp and humidity is pretty brutal in summer. Heck - I may just order a pair to keep in the garage.

Anyone have DIY of this?

James
I'm no expert but I believe the plastic simply can't stand the heat that it bows after prolong exposure. I installed CF A-pillars and CF rear aprons (above the rear glass) on one car with no problems.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Abe - Do most dealers stock these at all? Seems like a quick and easy replacement. Hoping it's a very easy DIY fix. The Evora I am buying ends its warranty in November so just trying to plan ahead.

James

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Abe - Do most dealers stock these at all? Seems like a quick and easy replacement. Hoping it's a very easy DIY fix. The Evora I am buying ends its warranty in November so just trying to plan ahead.

James
James, most dealers stock the OEM (black plastic) A- pillars and rear aprons however unless you park the car in the garage, it will still warp if you leave it out in the sun for a long period of time. My suggestion is to get a set of carbon fiber and that should eliminate the warping. I don't believe the dealers stock these so you might have to search some out. The wet carbon fiber looks very nice :drool:

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
can someone post a pic of what it looks like when it's peeling back / separating? i'd love to see what you guys are actually referring to. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts