The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will the bottom of the nose clear parking curbs, or regular streetside curbs for that matter? What about if one put a splitter on it (for protection mostly). On my Elise, the splitter reduced clearance by about an inch. Thanks.

·
Registered
396 Posts
In my experience, no. I always make sure I park well back from the curb because I have yet to check one where I could've cleared it.

Related - two days after installing my Difflow diffuser, the tech at the tint shop backed my car into a spot when he was done. The Difflow only cleared the curb by a centimeter (lucky for him). Evidently he chose to ignore the proximity beeps.

Just a reminder to be careful with the front and rear.

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I figured. So what you're saying is that the parking sensor (in the Tech Pack) is pretty much mandatory with this car and the backup camera is probably a really good idea.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Perhaps not mandatory, but certainly desirable. It allows me to get much closer to items when backing up that I would otherwise attempt. I wouldn't let it be the deal breaker on an otherwise perfect car. But ordering new (as I think you are considering), yes I would check those boxes.

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. Very helpful.

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
I love my rearview camera and parking sensors - with them I can squeeze into all kinds of places easily and look like a pro doing it :)

I would LOVE a set up front as the nose will not go over anything... at all.

·
Scott Graham
293 Posts
I love my rearview camera and parking sensors - with them I can squeeze into all kinds of places easily and look like a pro doing it :)

I would LOVE a set up front as the nose will not go over anything... at all.
It would actually be pretty cool to point a set of short distance ones downwards from the front to tell when you're about to scrape the front end. -eek-

I think the s class does this to adjust how firm the ride is using prox lasers.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
:wallbang:

·
Registered
7,185 Posts
One of my first impressions driving this car was that someone had almost certainly gone out with a ruler and measured a typical curb. Then they'd passed this finding along to some other folks who somehow got them to make the car taller than that. I really want to believe that's how it happened, not just a remarkable bit of luck.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Will the bottom of the nose clear parking curbs, or regular streetside curbs for that matter? What about if one put a splitter on it (for protection mostly). On my Elise, the splitter reduced clearance by about an inch. Thanks.
Short Answer: No. The car will not clear a parking curb. I dread the one time that I may not be paying attention and smash that front end. Has not happened yet but cringe every time I park.

·
Registered
7,185 Posts
I'm serious. Really does clear nearly all typical parking and sidewalk curbs I've come across (literally!). Not all everywhere of course, have to be careful the first time there I guess. I expect there is no standard curb height. But I've been very pleasantly surprised at how often it nestles in there just fine. Seems as designed.

The Elise totally different experience. Clears few even as stock.

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm serious. Really does clear nearly all typical parking and sidewalk curbs I've come across (literally!). Not all everywhere of course, have to be careful the first time there I guess. I expect there is no standard curb height. But I've been very pleasantly surprised at how often it nestles in there just fine. Seems as designed.

The Elise totally different experience. Clears few even as stock.
From the sounds of it, you're either REALLY light, or that version has a slightly higher nose than the others, OR more than likely than either of those is parking curbs in your area are somehow made lower than elsewhere.

Either way I appreciate all the helpful feedback and I think I'll just plan on slapping a subtle splitter on her for protection as soon as I take delivery, if I'm ever fortunate to marry this lovely lady.

I learned the hard way on the Elise that just like in Top Gun "You never leave your wingman", with a Lotus you never leave the bottom of the front clam Ounprotected, at least not on these God-forsaken roads.

·
Registered
412 Posts
My Saab 9-5 Aero scrapes its nose on speed bumps which my Evora clears.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I'm serious. Really does clear nearly all typical parking and sidewalk curbs I've come across (literally!).
Wheel Tire combo maybe? What size are your tires and rims?

My Evora does not clear any of the sidewalk or parking curbs in my area. (Northern California)

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
+1 For backup camera. Easy addition. My car did not have the Tech package. I highly recommmend not getting the Tech package and adding your own. you can get much better quality for the same price (don't think you will get teh sensor though)
Also recommend teh front splitter protector
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f170/evora-front-splitter-protector-99320/
Great for around town, but must be removed for 100+ MPH
This thing has saved my cheese many times. Bobsy did a great job with his design:up:

·
Registered
7,185 Posts
Wheel Tire combo maybe? What size are your tires and rims?

My Evora does not clear any of the sidewalk or parking curbs in my area. (Northern California)
In England right now (actually toured factory and Classic Lotus today) but when I get back will put a ruler in the car and start doing some empiricals. No telling what we might learn about curbs around the land if nothing else :)

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Great for around town, but must be removed for 100+ MPH
This thing has saved my cheese many times. Bobsy did a great job with his design:up:
Don has since made improvements to his splitter installation that should completely mitigate any problems at high speed.

I love the look of his but for me I'm more interested in a functional wind splitter, not just for appearance and curb protection. For curb protection I use stick-on furniture sliders along the bottom edge that have held up nicely, for only a few bucks.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Don has since made improvements to his splitter installation that should completely mitigate any problems at high speed.

I love the look of his but for me I'm more interested in a functional wind splitter, not just for appearance and curb protection. For curb protection I use stick-on furniture sliders along the bottom edge that have held up nicely, for only a few bucks.
Cool idea on the sliders.. would love to see any pics & pointers on brand used and where specifically you stuck them.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

1 - 20 of 22 Posts