The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
For anyone who has upgraded the factory sound system (all components, incl head unit and sub).... what did you pay in labor for the install?
I see posts where Jay got all Hertz speakers and a sub, a JL Amp, dynamat, etc all installed and only paid what would be $1,260 US today. The same parts are that much online now. And installers near me want to charge for 15 hours and $1,500-$2,500 with the tune which seems really high.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Well I did it myself, so this won't answer everything. The doors are pretty easy, just be careful with the clips that hold the door card in. The head unit is dead simple. The sub is a PITA because you have to take apart much of the rear interior to get at everything. It's probably a 12 hour job, all said and done. As for audio, here is what I bought, and it was not so expensive.

ALPINE SPR-50 5.25
Polk Audio DB842DVC

I didn't upgrade the head unit (it's pretty good), nor the sub amp (again, hits pretty good). The biggest problem is the factory speakers are so incredibly cheap. They are so wimpy, they won't even stick to a piece of sheet metal. Or even feel like they are dragging on it. It's worse than the Fiat 124 door speakers I did on my gf's car.

I used 50mil Kilamat for the install: https://www.amazon.com/Kilmat-Deadening-Automotive-Insulation-dampening/dp/B0751G6TMV

If I had to do it over again, I would use slightly less kilamat in the sub port into the chassis. I lost a little of the engine growl (along with the road noise).

With these upgrades, and utilizing the LPF/HPF capabilities of the head unit, it now sounds good, a solid B+. Replacing the tweeters and adding crossovers will probably help, but I think the biggest culprit is the door speakers, tbh. Knowing what I know now....start there and then tune with the head....

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Troy. I just played around with the settings and adjusted the fade to 8 rear and fixed the other settings and it helped a lot and I actually have some bass and it’s not so bright now..... but yeah the door speakers and the sub are horribly weak.

Changing just the door speakers and the sub would probably help a ton. And for less than $350 plus your time!
Changing speakers is simple enough. I didn’t want to get into changing the head unit and amp as I’m out of practice and haven’t done a full install in ohhhh 20 years. ?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The first shop I went to suggest Focal K2 speakers like $880, JL VX400 amp with processor that’s like $949, Alpine 8” sub for $160, a $700 Alpine wireless CarPlay head unit (would be nice to have Carplay but $1,000 nice with install cost... I dunno) ... and it was a total of $4,769 plus tax. ?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Have you tried playing with the settings? Download the Alpine TuneIt App for easier tweaking than the head unit.
You can also download others settings.

Mine are saved under public forum as "Lotus Evora 400" under this same alias.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, I read a few posts on here about tweaking those and it definitely helped. I tried the TuneIt app a couple months ago but didn’t know what to set it at.

Thanks for the settings guys. I’ll play with it some more and see how it sounds.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Well I did it myself, so this won't answer everything. The doors are pretty easy, just be careful with the clips that hold the door card in. The head unit is dead simple. The sub is a PITA because you have to take apart much of the rear interior to get at everything. It's probably a 12 hour job, all said and done. As for audio, here is what I bought, and it was not so expensive.

ALPINE SPR-50 5.25
Polk Audio DB842DVC

I didn't upgrade the head unit (it's pretty good), nor the sub amp (again, hits pretty good). The biggest problem is the factory speakers are so incredibly cheap. They are so wimpy, they won't even stick to a piece of sheet metal. Or even feel like they are dragging on it. It's worse than the Fiat 124 door speakers I did on my gf's car.
Troyus, do the door speakers fit the existing door panels without making any modifications?

·
Illegal Alien
4,971 Posts
standard 5 1/4" on the 4xx cars, the Series 1 used larger 6 1/2"

·
Registered
390 Posts
Just ordered a pair of these speakers plus the Alpine KTP-445A Amp for my car as recommended by Julian, let's see what an improvement they give!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Rather than going all in on a compete replacement of the entire audio system, can just the head unit be replaced? If I got another Evora 400 I would want something that had satellite radio, MP3 compatability, Bluetooth, and Android Auto.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Rather than going all in on a compete replacement of the entire audio system, can just the head unit be replaced? If I got another Evora 400 I would want something that had satellite radio, MP3 compatability, Bluetooth, and Android Auto.
It's just a standard double din unit so yes. In fact with the exception of the parking brake and reverse camera has no knowledge of the car... 2018+ Evora Alpine head has all the features you mention.. though Android Auto is horrible imho...

·
Illegal Alien
4,971 Posts
Yes, drop right in. I believe you can even squeeze a 6" in there with the right trim ring...
Will need to dremel the 400's door card and may have a depth problem.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
And the 6” speaker will extend past the door speaker grill on the 400. I measured and it will definitely extend past the grill.

·
Registered
88 Posts
IDK.... I stuck with stock sizes but have read people plus sizing....

That said, the 5.25 hit plenty hard and the magnet in any bluetooth speaker on amazon has more heft than the OEM setup...

·
Registered
568 Posts
This is a 6.5 inch Focal speaker installed on another 400 in my area. The installer sent me the pics to show me how it would look. They did have to trim the existing hole to get it to fit of course. And build a custom fabricated fiberglass speaker mounting plate to allow upgraded 6.5” speaker size.

Reactions: troyus

·
Galactic Hitchhiker
384 Posts
After doing my MY14, (door woofers, dash tweeters, crossovers, new sub, new 3-way amp, full 12gauge speaker rewire, new RCA cables to the amp, power wire to the battery)?

I wouldn't even do that job for a friend for less than $1000. Most of it wasn't hard, just meticulous and time consuming.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have a 2017 Evora 400. I don't know much about car audio. Aside from a 1976 Triumph that I have been restoring and putting a Grom bluetooth adapter in my wife's Mercedes SL I have not owned a car with an after market audio system for about 15 years. But I do know that my Evora sounds terrible compared to the system in the Mercedes E class wagon I drive everyday.

The subwoofer doesn't work which I assume is because the amplifier fuse has blown.
I will have to fix that and while I am in there I was thinking about replacing the speaker itself. Also what causes the fuse on the subwoofer amplifier to blow- I don't want this to happen again. Would it be prudent to also replace the subwoofer amplifier while I am in there? If so what would I replace it with?

For the subwoofer itself, would something like this fit/work for me?
Alpine S-W8D2

I also agree that the door speakers are really weak. A friend recommended these:
Focal RCX-130
Would they also fit and work with the head unit?

If I put this kind of 2 way speaker in the door do I need to do anything about the stock tweeters in the a pillar or should I just go all in and replace those (and then go with component speakers). If I do that then presumably I need to install crossovers?

I'm comfortable doing the work myself- I just need to make sure I buy the right components.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts