The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my Evora on a battery tender all winter, but it is summer, and I wonder how long I can leave the Evora off the battery tender now that I will be driving it more. I only ask because my Elise (with the smaller non-stock battery) will only last a few days without being on the tender

·
Happy To Be Here
2013 Lotus Evora IPS - Carbon Gray
859 Posts
When I bought my Evora, the dealer told me to plug it in if I don’t drive it within four days. This past year (2018), I didn’t have access to an outlet in my storage locker and I drove it once a week to keep a charge. I know I’ve heard of batteries going flat after two weeks of non-use, so a week was okay for me, but longer than that and I think you’ll find that fine line with your battery. Battery age, condition, and if you have excessive static draw all play into this, but if your battery is only a few years old and no issues with your car, you’ll get a week without issue.

·
Premium Member
6,930 Posts
My Shorai does fine for a week off tender. Consider how small it is in comparison.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Standard battery every 3 years, never had a problem even after 3 weeks vacation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Loves to talk
1,101 Posts
I just leave it plugged in when not using it. Stock Varta which only lasts about 5 or 6 days for me. After that, I may get a fault that requires me to reset the RV camera in the Alpine. I have a CTek on the car but have used the supplied Battery Tender to about equal effect as far as I can tell. This is the same treatment I give my bikes and their batteries usually last for seven or eight years.

Personally, I wouldn't let mine go three weeks off Tender unless I was looking for a reason to replace the battery. Lead acid doesn't do well being discharged routinely.

·
Registered
283 Posts
My 13 Evora S is still on the OEM battery and I will keep it on a tender if not driven within 7 days. I got the Shorai LI battery for my 06 Exige last year and it’s also on a tender if not driven within 7 days.

·
Premium Member
6,930 Posts
Once you set up the quick connects to the battery, it is so easy to do.....why not?

·
Loves to talk
1,101 Posts
All the US 4xx Evoras come with the SAE connector associated with a Battery Tender pre-installed at the factory and the Battery Tender is in the welcome package too. They know the score.

·
Registered
473 Posts
All the US 4xx Evoras come with the SAE connector associated with a Battery Tender pre-installed at the factory and the Battery Tender is in the welcome package too. They know the score.
Right. I always use Tender when in garage. Original Varta now 2.5 yrs old. Am going to do load testing shortly for piece of mind, and if any shortcomings replace. Good insurance; had sudden battery failure on S1 (just short of 3yrs old), while out, and do not want to repeat that event!. Can see no reason not to attach charger, so easy to do........Remember, there really is no warning of battery failure; it just goes flat.......

·
Registered
25 Posts
i was concerned with mine as it had been at the dealership for a year and half... sometimes on the charger, sometimes not. when they were ready to ship it, they mentioned it needed to be put on the charger as it would throw engine codes if left off. took about a week to show up to me, and started right up off the truck and no codes, so made it a week w/o any issues not on the charger.

·
Registered
87 Posts
My Evora had the battery replaced before I purchased it but I've never used a battery tender and never had to jump it, even through the winter while remaining parked for a month. The body shop did have to jump it when they left the trunk open all night while replacing the wing (they were afraid to close the trunk since you lift the trunk with the wing).

·
Illegal Alien
5,138 Posts
Keeping on a high quality charger (one that can vary amperage and cycle on and off for maintenance tending) is a healthy thing to do for the battery. Deep discharging is not health.

·
Registered
400 Posts
New to this trickle thing...
A. Are people closing the trunk on the cable? (Otherwise you are fighting the trunk light)
B. I’ve driven it weekly these past months. I tried the charger last night. One day after driving... and it’s still yellow not green... when does it turn green and how can I test the health of the battery? I have no idea how well the dealer cares for it.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Just close the trunk on the cord from the charger. It’s not a problem. Don’t close it on a heavy duty extension cord as it’s too thick. I installed a lead directly from the battery to sit outside the box. It’s a simple plug in to my tender and takes seconds to hook up.

·
Registered
25 Posts
factory supplied charger will turn solid green on the light when fully charged on a good battery. mine took a solid day and half when i first got it. it had been off the charger for a week or so when being delivered.

·
Registered
400 Posts
factory supplied charger will turn solid green on the light when fully charged on a good battery. mine took a solid day and half when i first got it. it had been off the charger for a week or so when being delivered.
Mine just turned green... a day and a half after driving... phew... just wanted to validate I had a good battery.

I've found the voltage drops:
after a drive to 12.6v
1 day to 12.5v
2 days to 12.3v

...haven't made it further than that.

Anyone know what voltage is required to start it?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts