The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Continue to have some Gremlins with my cluster. It's staying on while the car is off, door shut, locked, etc.
This started to happen after I just put on a new tailgate. All connections are fine.
Any thoughts?
Thank you!

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Would think it has something to do with tailgate, I have had my cluster stay on and I open and re close tailgate and it goes off

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Redsled... I've tried multiple things there. The tailgate itself doesn't show it's opened but that's what I suspect too. I also started having the cluster give gibberish software language and several things not always showing. Appreciate you taking the time to respond.

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
It might also be one of the lighting circuits back-feeding into the cluster? It seems to think your DRLs/running lights are on. From the circuit diagrams, the MAIN / TAILGATE A connector is also where it ties into the cluster & alarm system to detect the tailgate switch. But the boot lamps also tie into that circuit too, so maybe it's completing the loop when it shouldn't be, and there's no diode to isolate it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks agentdr8. You maybe on to something. Will have to see how to fix. Didn't have any issues until changing the tailgate, so Im fairly certain its related.

·
Registered
185 Posts
With the hatch open, if you close the latch with something like a screwdriver or your key do the trunk lights go out?
Stupidly, the interior lights on an Evora do not time out like nearly every other car made in the last 25 years. Thanks Lotus!

·
Registered
525 Posts
Most likely a blown fuse.

Also, if you think it's hatch related, simply unplug the plugs for it and see what it does for you.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With the hatch open, if you close the latch with something like a screwdriver or your key do the trunk lights go out?
Stupidly, the interior lights on an Evora do not time out like nearly every other car made in the last 25 years. Thanks Lotus!
Thanks for the idea... I tried it and the trunk lights do go off. Also the interior lights are working fine, just the cluster stays on.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Most likely a blown fuse.

Also, if you think it's hatch related, simply unplug the plugs for it and see what it does for you.
Didn't think of a fuse... I will troubleshoot those tomorrow. It's odd as I would think a fuse would cause it to go off and not stay on, but at this point I'm at loss. Will try the fuses next. Appreciate it.

·
Registered
525 Posts
When I changed my footwell lights to led I blew the 3a fuse unknowingly. When I would open the door both lights would go on. I thought it was the light. I swapped back n same thing. Then I was like wtf did I do. After messing with everything else I checked the fuse. Swapped that n back to normal.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When I changed my footwell lights to led I blew the 3a fuse unknowingly. When I would open the door both lights would go on. I thought it was the light. I swapped back n same thing. Then I was like wtf did I do. After messing with everything else I checked the fuse. Swapped that n back to normal.
I will check them today.... Appreciate the help. Hopefully that's what it is. That would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Checked all the fuses and they are all good. Cluster is still displaying software gibberish upon start up but goes away after a few minutes and everything seems fine. Then after turning off the car, the entire cluster stays on, red illuminated with no warning lights. I open the rear hatch and the lights in the trunk work fine. After a few minutes the cluster goes out (new wrinkle) I shut the hatch and the cluster comes back on. Regardless if it's locked or not. Really unsure what to do now. All hatch connections appear to be in order. Open for more thoughts to try... I'm lost.

·
Premium Member
2,267 Posts
I would try some simple things first. For the few minutes of time they would take it might be worth the effort.

1. Like agentdr8 suggests, disconnect the hatch connection and see what happens.

2. Wait 30 minutes after shutting off car (make sure battery is topped off) and carefully disconnect the battery for a few minutes. (DO NOT CLOSE HATCH WHILE BATTERY IS DISCONNECTED!!) Weird electrical things have happened when our batteries have been low/poor connection.

2. While battery is disconnected, unplug the instrument cluster and then replug to re-seat the connection. Its probably a long shot but......the plug is located under the curved instrument cluster top access panel. The panel is held down by velcro. (see below- not my photos)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Did you try disconnecting the hatch connections and seeing if the behavior changed?
Sorry, don't understand what connections your referencing. The 3rd brake light is the only connection in the hatch, and that I did connect and reconnect. Is there another connection? The hatch I have now is the louvered one, which doesn't have the defrost anymore. That connection is tied up and not touching anything.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would try some simple things first. For the few minutes of time they would take it might be worth the effort.

1. Like agentdr8 suggests, disconnect the hatch connection and see what happens.

2. Wait 30 minutes after shutting off car (make sure battery is topped off) and carefully disconnect the battery for a few minutes. (DO NOT CLOSE HATCH WHILE BATTERY IS DISCONNECTED!!) Weird electrical things have happened when our batteries have been low/poor connection.

2. While battery is disconnected, unplug the instrument cluster and then replug to re-seat the connection. Its probably a long shot but......the plug is located under the curved instrument cluster top access panel. The panel is held down by velcro. (see below- not my photos)

View attachment 1263084

View attachment 1263085
Thanks for all the guidance, what hatch connection am I looking to disconnect, I apologize up front if it's sounds stupid. Just want to try that first. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,267 Posts
Tailgate/hatch latch mechanism has a hatch light/alarm feed as well as a ground.

You could also place a cellphone in the hatch and record video of hatch closing and see what the hatch lights do.

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
Thanks for all the guidance, what hatch connection am I looking to disconnect, I apologize up front if it's sounds stupid. Just want to try that first. Thanks
Nope, not stupid at all. Now that I see you don't have the rear defroster anymore, it should just be the CHMSL and tailgate switch in the connector bundle that's near the passenger side hatch hinge. IIRC, they're mounted near the angled reinforcing bar. Try disconnecting those 2 connectors, leave them disconnected and go through your test scenario again.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I did the cell phone trick a couple of days ago, the lights go off when shut.
I just disconnected and re connected the cluster as you suggested and still same issue. I wonder if it is the alarm feed. Have to play around with that idea. Though, when locked nothing goes off

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nope, not stupid at all. Now that I see you don't have the rear defroster anymore, it should just be the CHMSL and tailgate switch in the connector bundle that's near the passenger side hatch hinge. IIRC, they're mounted near the angled reinforcing bar. Try disconnecting those 2 connectors, leave them disconnected and go through your test scenario again.
Thanks will try that next...

1 - 20 of 75 Posts