The Lotus Cars Community banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
My OEM GT CF came with 2 ground wires. It took me about 1 hour to figure out that the 2nd ground wire go through the taillight hole to connect to the back of the CF hatch.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
My OEM GT CF came with 2 ground wires. It took me about 1 hour to figure out that the 2nd ground wire go through the taillight hole to connect to the back of the CF hatch.
Thanks Exira... I don't have the additional ground wire. Not sure what / where I could even add and if it would do any good.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Checked everything again... It appears the ECM is reading something after driving and restarting, causing the issue. I have no fuse issues, and apparently there is not a ground issue looking at the schematics, and everything acts normal when driving. At this point I will be getting a remote battery kill switch, which should help for now.
If anyone thinks of anything else to try, let me know. I do appreciate all of your help and guidance. Thank you!

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
A battery kill switch might help mitigate coming out to a dead battery, but you shouldn't cut power after the vehicle has been driven for at least 30 minutes to allow all the various systems to properly shut down. And every time you get into your car you have to re-index the windows.

I'd say since you tried everything you can try, it's probably time to find a shop with a TechCentre to help in the diagnosis.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
A battery kill switch might help mitigate coming out to a dead battery, but you shouldn't cut power after the vehicle has been driven for at least 30 minutes to allow all the various systems to properly shut down. And every time you get into your car you have to re-index the windows.

I'd say since you tried everything you can try, it's probably time to find a shop with a TechCentre to help in the diagnosis.
Would be great if I could get a Lotus dealer / service dept to return my call. Thanks for the advice on the kill switch.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Have noticed one interesting thing now, that has been duplicated twice; after having the battery completely disconnected and then hooked back up, the cluster goes off fine; after opening, closing the door, etc with the hatch closed. Also doesn't give any software gibberish on it. Then after driving the first time after battery connection and turning off the car, it also goes off with no issues. However the second time I drive it and turn it off; the cluster stays on and will not go off.
Not sure what the difference is, but the act of driving a second time and turning off, makes the cluster act up.
This is also why I have been getting some false reads on what the issue is, as I would think it was working, then drive and everything change. Ugh

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Have noticed one interesting thing now, that has been duplicated twice; after having the battery completely disconnected and then hooked back up, the cluster goes off fine; after opening, closing the door, etc with the hatch closed. Also doesn't give any software gibberish on it. Then after driving the first time after battery connection and turning off the car, it also goes off with no issues. However the second time I drive it and turn it off; the cluster stays on and will not go off.
Not sure what the difference is, but the act of driving a second time and turning off, makes the cluster act up.
This is also why I have been getting some false reads on what the issue is, as I would think it was working, then drive and everything change. Ugh
Sure sounds like there is a switch or relay which is sticking or latching after it has got hot or the contacts are dirty, which cause heat build up and thus won't release like they should. I'd sure check any relays & switches on the doors and other circuits. I believe there is a relay on any defroster circuit since it usually has to carry a decent current load.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Thanks
Sure sounds like there is a switch or relay which is sticking or latching after it has got hot or the contacts are dirty, which cause heat build up and thus won't release like they should. I'd sure check any relays & switches on the doors and other circuits. I believe there is a relay on any defroster circuit since it usually has to carry a decent current load.

Thanks FlatCrank... I've tried everything else, so checking the relays might be a good next step.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
I believe there is a relay on that rear defrost circuit. You may try pulling it out as it may be latching closed and not releasing. Good luck!!

·
Registered
125 Posts
So looking at this picture you sent... is there another ground strap at the hinge? have you tried to place a temp ground wire that you know is good?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
So looking at this picture you sent... is there another ground strap at the hinge? have you tried to place a temp ground wire that you know is good?
There is only one ground which does appear to be working and is the same wire from the old hatch. Right now the cluster is off, as I had the battery unhooked and only drove it once. Every time I drive or start it a second time, the cluster always stays on. So the relay idea could be it. I have someone at Lotus working with their engineers to see if they have any ideas. Will see

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
I believe there is a relay on that rear defrost circuit. You may try pulling it out as it may be latching closed and not releasing. Good luck!!

Thanks. I like the relay idea, haven't been able to find one yet that is stuck or clicking but will not give up. Will be back at checking things later this week.

61 - 75 of 75 Posts