The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 05 Elise after a long vehicle search. It was going to be a Skyline GTR, Dodge Viper, or a Evora. I hesitated on the Evora due to the maintenance costs if something were to go wrong, and decided against a high HP viper due to living in the mountains and can actually enjoy the Elise. Now I do plan on getting a Evora within the next 4-5 years (While still owning the Elise) and I am curious about how it compares to the Elise as far as comfort and cabin. I would like my next high end vehicle to be a comfortable vehicle, as in, I feel like im in a 80k sports car. So would it be safe to assume that the interior is going to be a decent upgrade from the Elise? The Elise is pretty bare bone and thats fine for the car it is and I love it, but I would like something else that is more modern and can feel it. I finally have my Garage built and I can fit 2 vehicles in it and I can now safely do any required maintenance for any vehicles in it. Ive done everything to rebuild Rotary engines for my 2 93 Rx7's to tire rotation for friends.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I’m pretty much the opposite of you; I wanted an Elise but I decided it was too race car at the time so I bought an Evora. Now in the next couple years I want to add an Elise. I’ve never owned an Elise, but the Evora is pretty comfortable in the cabin being mostly carpet or leather, reasonable stereo, air conditioning, and with a lot more room to store things. Maintenance isn’t bad if you’re willing to take it on yourself, which seems like you could handle

·
Registered
466 Posts
I daily drove an Elise for about 1.5years and just recently swapped to an Evora a month ago.

It’s a ton more luxurious! Comfortable, quiet, heating and ac actually work. Heated adjustable seats. Still handles amazing, way faster, don’t have to rev the tits off it to get any power.

Though if it wasn’t a daily driver and I lived closer to proper roads I would pick the Elise.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Yep, Evora waaay more comfortable than my Elise. Long road trips especially. If you get an S1 literally every surface of the interior is covered in leather, even the footwells and the inside of the door pockets!

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,598 Posts
I don't think anyone will dispute that the Evora is more comfortable, but it's also a thousand pounds heavier. Pick the right tool for the job.

San

Reactions: glb

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
It’s almost as though they are made by different manufacturers. Certainly for different purposes.

The Evora is a GT car by comparison. Not that hard to load up a date and all the stuff for a weekend at the coast. Sure, that could be done in an Elise, but would be much more spartan and daring. Much.

When I ask a car buddy if they want to drive the Elise, I can promise them a driving experience like nothing they have imagined. Visceral, precise. The list goes on, this is unique. You’ll never touch any steering wheel the same again.

Reactions: glb

·
Registered
199 Posts
One major difference is that the Evora suspension is amazingly compliant, particularly given the performance capabilities of the car. Its remarkable how this can be done without using and adaptive system. This makes the Evora much more tolerable as a daily driver. I think if you put all season tires or have a winter tire set up you could drive the car year round if you wanted to. I have less experience with the Elise but I can't imagine driving one every day.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
They are very different cars I own an Exige S and a EVORA 400, I Drove the 400 on a 2000 mile road rally and it was very comfortable has plenty of room and performed well but for a raw driving experience and track performance I have yet to find a car I like as much as my Exige.

·
Premium Member
11,851 Posts
One major difference is that the Evora suspension is amazingly compliant, particularly given the performance capabilities of the car. Its remarkable how this can be done without using and adaptive system. This makes the Evora much more tolerable as a daily driver. I think if you put all season tires or have a winter tire set up you could drive the car year round if you wanted to. I have less experience with the Elise but I can't imagine driving one every day.
Much of that is dependent on which suspension is on the Elise. Many ppl rave about the great ride with BWR Penske shocks. I have Intrax (Netherlands) and find the handling and ride much better than the sport shocks that came with car.

·
Premium Member
2005 Elise LSS Saffron Yellow
752 Posts
It's quite obvious that earlier Elise suspension was 'racecar stiff,' especially if you got the track package. Pretty much everybody, including some track users, have been going toward softer spring rates and more antisway bar. Looks like Lotus figured it out for themselves by the time the Evora came out. Of course the longer wheelbase also helps with ride quality.

·
Premium Member
11,851 Posts
The stiffness of the optional page was an anomaly among most Lotus street cars. Elans and 7s were not harsh; Elan was more the opposite. Same with early Elite.

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
The genius of Lotus is making a pliable car that can also perform marvelously in the turns. Anybody can just stiffen a car up.

·
Premium Member
11,851 Posts
Yes, hence my use of "anomaly". You are right.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I agree the Evora compared to the Elise is a quiet comfortable car with plenty of cargo space. I did the AC improvement (blocked the radiator air flow into the cabin) to the Elise so it was fine in hot weather. I made many improvements during the six years of ownership. Not much to improve on the Evora.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I had owned an Elise and now both Exige and Evora S. The Evora S is my go-to car for all occasions. It's comfortable and great for long road trips since it can haul plenty of baggage. It's also easy to drive fast. I brought the Exige as my backup in case I'm bored with the Evora. However, I missed my Evora's magical suspension every time I drive my Exige.

·
Illegal Alien
4,979 Posts
Even though a GT car, the Evora is able to do quick lap times than an Elise or Exige unless in GT or Cup trim.

Reactions: XHILR8N!

·
Registered
98 Posts
The interior between the Evora and Elise are night and day. The Evora (especially the 400 model) feels a lot more refined and usable. Having rear seats was incredibly convenient if you're going to stick a third individual back there or use it for storage space. Seats are very comfortable for long trips too. The car complements the Elise well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I recently purchased a 05 Elise after a long vehicle search. It was going to be a Skyline GTR, Dodge Viper, or a Evora. I hesitated on the Evora due to the maintenance costs if something were to go wrong, and decided against a high HP viper due to living in the mountains and can actually enjoy the Elise. Now I do plan on getting a Evora within the next 4-5 years (While still owning the Elise) and I am curious about how it compares to the Elise as far as comfort and cabin. I would like my next high end vehicle to be a comfortable vehicle, as in, I feel like im in a 80k sports car. So would it be safe to assume that the interior is going to be a decent upgrade from the Elise? The Elise is pretty bare bone and thats fine for the car it is and I love it, but I would like something else that is more modern and can feel it. I finally have my Garage built and I can fit 2 vehicles in it and I can now safely do any required maintenance for any vehicles in it. Ive done everything to rebuild Rotary engines for my 2 93 Rx7's to tire rotation for friends.
I have had an 05 Elise, currently have a 11 Exige and 18 Evora 400. Different animals. The Evora is miles ahead in comfort and amazing performance. Lots of features and easier to get in and out. I love the Elise-Exige for it's raw style and simplicity. You need both.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts