The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Based on the current schedule, I would guess 2012...

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...i'm really curious to see how lotus handles convertible design cues over the rear deck - simple targa?..

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
targas look much better than full convertibles to me...

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
The Evora convertible was, last I heard, a proper full convertible rather than an Elise-Like targa. It is planned for release in 2011 along with a Supercharged version. The Automatic is due mid to late 2010. All of this was announced by Mike Kimberley about 6-8 months ago.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Why is Lotus bothering with an Evora automatic? That seems sacriligeous.

The convertible could be cool though. I actually like the Elise' targa style roof. There is alot less wind buffeting and you can carry on a conversation easily.

I am heading to the factory in a few weeks! Who knows what I will see there?

·
Registered
442 Posts

The convertible could be cool though. I actually like the Elise' targa style roof. There is alot less wind buffeting and you can carry on a conversation easily.

Automatic = Dual clutch, launch control, paddle shifters.....IOW, EVERYTHING that is HIP, Trendy, cool(?) and ...some would say, USELESS.

john m./ML1

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...i kind of expect the automatic to be just a basic automatic rather than a sequential option, more to cater to casual drivers than performance drivers...does toyota even produce a paddle-shift gearbox?..

·
Super Moderator
5,461 Posts

To sell more cars!!!!

Remember when Porsche first announced it was putting an outo in the 911? There were many cries of woe and suggestions that the world was ending - but it didn't :)

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
To sell more cars!!!!

Remember when Porsche first announced it was putting an outo in the 911? There were many cries of woe and suggestions that the world was ending - but it didn't :)
if you look a the core demographics for the evora and it's competition, it needs the option. The good news is it's an option and those of us who don't want it, don't have to order it.

The automatic will be a torque-converter type with paddles. This is just like the tiptronic box that Porsche, Audi and VW uses/used. It is not an electronic manual like Porsche just introduced or Ferrari, lamborghini, Aston Martin or maserati uses. Too expensive and not necessary for the demographic who would be opting for it over the standard or sport ratio
box.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...makes it a heck of a lot more difficult to find a used porsche worth buying, though...

·
Registered
677 Posts
Launch control is very doable with a manual. The lotus ecu on the 211 does this very very well if somewhat by producing some horrible engine noises.

There have been somerumblings of a twin clutch but this would have to come from toyota.

I'd love to see a auto blip rev match button like in the new Nissan 370Z

·
Have you GYLO'd?
1,691 Posts
Evora - Why An Automatic?

I recently read an article (most recent EVO magazine, I think) stating that the European Union's latest emissions regs make it very hard to pass with a manual transmission. They said that the regs allowed an automatic to shift whenever it was programmed to, but the manual trans cars were forced to shift at mandated speeds - and some of the mandated shift points were illogical.

In that environment, not only might Lotus need to have an automatic to sell, but it probably helps sell companies on their expertise in another arena, for the Lotus Engineering side.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts