The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...yikes!..

...i guess the positive side to the evora's extra weight is that it was only 40% less than the touareg, rather than the elise's 60% - more mass to absorb the energy of a collision...

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
...yikes!..

...i guess the positive side to the evora's extra weight is that it was only 40% less than the touareg, rather than the elise's 60% - more mass to absorb the energy of a collision...
Unless you're an entry in a demolition derby, carrying less inertial energy into a crash would be the best thing, I'd think. :shrug:

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Unless you're an entry in a demolition derby, carrying less inertial energy into a crash would be the best thing, I'd think. :shrug:
...empirical evidence generally shows lighter cars to take more collision damage - with less mass to disperse kinetic energy versus the other vehicle, they're actually experiencing more delta-V than would a heavier car in the same collision...

...obviously the situation is a lot more complex than two simple newtonian bodies, though...

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
I like how their idea of solving the problem is reducing the speed limit...

You know, because people were obeying speed limits when this happened....

Morons.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...from the apparent damage, i wouldn't be entirely suprised to learn that excess speed wasn't the cause...

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
...from the apparent damage, i wouldn't be entirely suprised to learn that excess speed wasn't the cause...
“It was a nasty crash – these cars must have been going far too fast. I was very pleased that the guy in the Lotus wasn’t killed, but how he got out of it I don’t know.”

He said motorists regularly drove along the stretch at 70mph or 80mph and often overtook slow moving vehicles.

- Regardless, that's like telling criminals they can't have guns.

People who like to go 70mph on a 40mph road will probably go 70 on it when they reduce it to 35mph.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Nice find. Maybe this is a dumb question (never been to England unfortunately), but why do they mention speeds in mph and not kph? Wondered this about top gear as well...

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Second. There was one last week
You know you can't just make this post without more details, or at least saying "I have no more details other than there was one" :panic:

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
Actually I think this is the same one. I believe the accident happened on July 9. It was a Lotus press car and it was being filmed from the car in front and it ran into the car.

·
Super Moderator
5,459 Posts
Nice find. Maybe this is a dumb question (never been to England unfortunately), but why do they mention speeds in mph and not kph? Wondered this about top gear as well...
Distance in the UK is still measured using the Imperial system :) - Same goes for measuring the volume of beer!

For everything else the metric system has pretty much taken over.

·
Registered
136 Posts
why do they mention speeds in mph and not kph? Wondered this about top gear as well...
Too expensive to change all the signs in the country to be kilometers vs. miles. For everything else, they use the sane system. :)

Australia made the switch a while back, and it caused a lot of confusion on the roads (people going 60mph in 60km/h zones, etc).

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
“It was a nasty crash – these cars must have been going far too fast. I was very pleased that the guy in the Lotus wasn’t killed, but how he got out of it I don’t know.”

He said motorists regularly drove along the stretch at 70mph or 80mph and often overtook slow moving vehicles.
...certainly there was a loss of control by one or both of the drivers, but the limited photographic evidence presented looks a lot more like a 40MPH collision than a 70-80 MPH collision...

...the "witness" didn't actually see the collision take place, he came upon it after the fact and simply presumed that high speed was involved, the entire article rife with alarmist speculation to justify lower speed limits - absent real evidence, it's sportscar profiling...
People who like to go 70mph on a 40mph road will probably go 70 on it when they reduce it to 35mph.
...exactly...

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
thats what i thought too
heavier cars will plow into the other car and make more damage where lighter cars will "bounce" off the other car and make less damage

·
Registered
677 Posts
That accident to me looks to have been caused by travlling to close to the vehicle in front and not speed. It really does look like the evora just dived under the high rear end of the other car at a relatively low speed. If that had been at 70 mph then it would have been much worse!

With respect to accidents theres two situtations:
1) car v car - you always (in general) want to be in the heavier car. Just think of a 2 ton volvo hitting an elise - no matter how strong the elise it'll experience considerable larger acceleration/deceleration forces due to basic physics.

2) car v static object (say tree) - this is the opposite. You want to be in the lighter car as you'll have less inertia to dissipate.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts