The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, I don't have an Evora and actually always thought they had cupholders until I read a thread that stated otherwise. After looking through the forum a bit, it looks like you guys don't have any good options. What do you think of this mockup? It utilizes the removable cupholder from the BMW 1 series (which doesn't look out of place against the Evora interior IMO). I'm sure I can get a female adapter fabricated to accommodate the removeable cupholder. Does anyone have any insight as to mounting points on the right side of the center console? Anywhere where it could be bolted in under the carpeting?

Here is what the cupholder assembly looks like:

Attachments

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you get it to work, count me in for buying at least 1 of them!
I'll work on it! If a bunch of evora guys are into it and I can find some more info in regards to how the receiver will mount to the console, I'll certainly try to make some pieces

·
Registered
171 Posts
The Evora has two cup holders. They are built into the armrests in the doors. If you have a passenger, that number increases to four cup holders.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Evora has two cup holders. They are built into the armrests in the doors. If you have a passenger, that number increases to four cup holders.
Did not know that. I guess I'll change the premise of the thread to simply: Center mounted cupholders. Are the door cupholders difficult to use considering you need to use your left arm and either can't steer or can't shift?

Here is another photoshopped mockup with a red interior

Attachments

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
the cupholders in the door arm rests are worthless. I would never put anything in there as it would definitely spill

·
Registered
171 Posts
the cupholders in the door arm rests are worthless. I would never put anything in there as it would definitely spill
I use mine for 20oz bottles. Usually water. Always with a lid. Not sure what else you'd want to put in them but I've never spilled a drop and they've served me just fine for up to a 1500mi road trip.

I had a mount for my phone in my Cayman similar to what's being proposed in this thread and it was fine until anyone tried to sit in the pax seat. I got tired of it being in their way and removed it. So to the OP, make sure it doesn't interfere with the passengers knee room, especially during ingress.

To your question: I'm not sure how it matters if you're using your left or right hand for your drink. Either way you probably shouldn't be shifting while drinking? I generally drink on straight stretches of road while not accelerating.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
I like the idea, just would have to see the final product.

I use the cupholders in the doors all the time & have never spilled anything. They hold 12 oz cans perfectly & most plastic bottles. They even hold medium size cups from McDonald's, Arbys, Starbucks (yes, I know it's a called a grande), etc. without toppling over. They're certainly not the ideal location IMO, but better than nothing.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I use mine for 20oz bottles. Usually water. Always with a lid. Not sure what else you'd want to put in them but I've never spilled a drop and they've served me just fine for up to a 1500mi road trip.

I had a mount for my phone in my Cayman similar to what's being proposed in this thread and it was fine until anyone tried to sit in the pax seat. I got tired of it being in their way and removed it. So to the OP, make sure it doesn't interfere with the passengers knee room, especially during ingress.

To your question: I'm not sure how it matters if you're using your left or right hand for your drink. Either way you probably shouldn't be shifting while drinking? I generally drink on straight stretches of road while not accelerating.

Well what I meant was it's more convieniant to have it right next to your shifting arm than to the left of you

·
Registered
171 Posts
I've never really considered it. The cup/bottle is where it is. Right next to my left arm seems a bit more convienent than on the passenger side of the car. That said, I have used the passenger cup holder a time or two on long drives and that didn't bother me too much either.

Like I mentioned, if you can keep it out of the way of passengers knees, I'm sure that you'll find a market of folks who want to drive with a giant drink or coffee or whatever.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Please make it happen! I've been waiting for something like this and even thought about making one but got no time. If you could design one that looks minimalist, clean, and beautiful and is easy to install, I'll be on your buyers list :)

Here are a few pics of potential mounting areas for your research:

Oops I'm missing a pic of the side of the center console.

Good luck :clap:

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Please make it happen! I've been waiting for something like this and even thought about making one but got no time. If you could design one that looks minimalist, clean, and beautiful and is easy to install, I'll be on your buyers list :)

Here are a few pics of potential mounting areas for your research:

Oops I'm missing a pic of the side of the center console.

Good luck :clap:
Thanks for the closeups. It would probably be best for me to just find an Evora in my area, tape the BMW cupholder to it to see if positioning works for the driver and passenger foot area and snap a few photos so people can see what it would really look like

1 - 13 of 13 Posts