The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, last week I saw where someone said the following list are issues that i might have with the Lotus Evora.

"clutches, condenser, windows, door latch, glove box, no electrical power, won't start , towing to dealer , rear tires wear out extremely fast with routine driving, inside lights staying on, door open indicater on when door closed , ac wouldn't get cool after a month of ownership , now condenser problem, radio very static, dealership not very helpful with operating equipment, just tells you to refer to manual etc etc"

This obviously, along with other comments, was enough to get me to back out at the 11th hour of buying the Evora. So i have some questions here:

1) Is this truly an indication of how poorly made the Lotus Evora is?
2) About how many trips to the dealer per year could i expect to make for situations where i had no choice but to bring the car in?
3) Others have said their car literally took weeks to repair - how common is that?
4) Are the horror stories I am reading here on Lotus Talk a true indication of how poor Lotus reliability is? Or am i just seeing the handful of Lotus owners out of a thousand that did have some problems?

Mike

·
Registered
6,485 Posts
I can't speak about Evora ownership first hand, but I have owned a total of 9 Lotus over the years, dating back to the mid 70's.

Lotus is 'hand built.' While that is often cited as a plus, it also means that it's assembled quality depends largely on an individual's skill set, engagement in his/her job, and the kind of day he's having. Lotus over the years has operated by the seat of its pants.

I used to show my 84 Esprit next to a guy, also with an 84 Esprit and not all that far apart in build dates, and when looking in our engine compartments noticed that we had different air pumps. In fact, his trunk wall looked to have been hacked a bit by hand with a saw so that his pump would 'clear.' He said he bought his car new, that's how it came from the factory. We kidded that the day his car was built, they probably ran out of air pumps, and sent someone over to British Leyland to borrow a few.

Having owned a bunch of older Lotus, as well as multiple Exige and Elise, the build quality and overall reliability of current Lotus is head and shoulders better than what it was. I had no qualms at all in making several 900 mile round trip drives in either my Elise or Exige from home to Buffalo and back.

That said, compared with other modern cars, they do have a lot of things that require attention...from the catastrophic: worn cams and broken toe links, to the benign...front turn signals popping out of the clam, and lots in between.

As far as the Evora, there do seem to be a few folks on here who've had a lot of problems. Back when Criswell was a Lotus dealer, and when I was there, I asked the service tech and the service writer about a couple of customer Evoras I saw in the service lane. They both rolled their eyes and said the Evoras were turning out to be a real pain, especially for the clutch problems. This was for the first year cars, perhaps things have improved since.

I'd guess that a lot of the waiting for repairs has as much to do with a very thin dealer network and a bare bones parts inventory in the country, reflective of the small number of cars as it does anything else.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Okay, last week I saw where someone said the following list are issues that i might have with the Lotus Evora.

"clutches, condenser, windows, door latch, glove box, no electrical power, won't start , towing to dealer , rear tires wear out extremely fast with routine driving, inside lights staying on, door open indicater on when door closed , ac wouldn't get cool after a month of ownership , now condenser problem, radio very static, dealership not very helpful with operating equipment, just tells you to refer to manual etc etc"

This obviously, along with other comments, was enough to get me to back out at the 11th hour of buying the Evora. So i have some questions here:

1) Is this truly an indication of how poorly made the Lotus Evora is?
2) About how many trips to the dealer per year could i expect to make for situations where i had no choice but to bring the car in?
3) Others have said their car literally took weeks to repair - how common is that?
4) Are the horror stories I am reading here on Lotus Talk a true indication of how poor Lotus reliability is? Or am i just seeing the handful of Lotus owners out of a thousand that did have some problems?

Mike
Mike if you could try to find a 2012 it should be better & hopefully more reliable. I have a couple of questions: Will this be your only car IE your DD? Do you have another car to drive until you get it to the shop? Why do you want this car? The last question is personal and the more you want something the more you will forgive it. My biggest problem for you is the service center is 5 hours away. I have owned 5 P cars and never had a major problem. I know some on the board have had the same luck with Lotus. Lotus is hand built & uses many parts from other manufactures: My wife calls it the Frankenstein car. I enjoy my Evora it’s a great car & for what I paid for it I can deal with its faults. Now if I paid full price I would shove this car up Lotus A. I have owned more technical exotic cars in the past that did not have the same annoying problems as my Evora. Good luck in the end we cant guarantee you that you won’t have problems no matter what manufacture you buy & the + side you could get a good car that never has a problem. ;)

·
Registered
396 Posts
My experience (February 2010 NA with ~5k miles)

1.) At this time I would not describe the Evora as poorly made at all. It's purpose built. The doors don't have the solid "thwump" of a Merc, but it also weights a ton (well not quite) less - for a reason. Additionally as lotusforsale pointed out, it's handmade, which for me helps me embrace the quirkiness.
2.) In 4 months mine has been in twice for maintenance (new dash, shifter boot, steering linkage spacer, and door lock TSB)
3.) Dash and shifter boot took a day and a half. Door lock and steering spacer took 3 hours. I have had nothing but phenomenal service from my dealer. Both times the car was ready earlier than they promised.
4.) Clearly you'd have to have a 100% survey to accurately answer this question. A rule of thumb that we all know is that you generally hear more about problems and less about everything working fine.

Experiences do seem to vary significantly. I feel for guys like squid who've had so many issues.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Perhaps it is time for a poll, which would include how long you have had it, and the raw number of repairs which have been performed on it (including recalls). This way you can have a dataset which include lucky and unlucky owners. I would also draw the understanding from the postings the Evora is a greater maintenance pain than the older Elise and Exige models.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mike if you could try to find a 2012 it should be better & hopefully more reliable. I have a couple of questions: Will this be your only car IE your DD? Do you have another car to drive until you get it to the shop? Why do you want this car? The last question is personal and the more you want something the more you will forgive it. My biggest problem for you is the service center is 5 hours away. I have owned 5 P cars and never had a major problem. I know some on the board have had the same luck with Lotus. Lotus is hand built & uses many parts from other manufactures: My wife calls it the Frankenstein car. I enjoy my Evora it’s a great car & for what I paid for it I can deal with its faults. Now if I paid full price I would shove this car up Lotus A. I have owned more technical exotic cars in the past that did not have the same annoying problems as my Evora. Good luck in the end we cant guarantee you that you won’t have problems no matter what manufacture you buy & the + side you could get a good car that never has a problem. ;)
No, the Lotus would not be my only car. I also have a Porsche Cayman.

I would love to have the Lotus because I think it is the coolest car i have ever seen. Its a big time head turner.

But, I have no automotive and/or mechanical ability. I dont even change oil in the cars i have now. Tinkering with the Lotus to fix minor things wouldnt work for me. Whenever i try and fix something, whether car or home related, i usually make things worse.

I will say if the dealer was 30 miles from me i would have bought a Lotus a long, long time ago!

Mike

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess the bottom line is this.......Of all the potential issues with the Lotus how many of them would require an immediate trip to the dealer thats 5 hours away? And how many could i just let go for six months or so until i got back to the dealer and then have them fixed?

Mike

·
Registered
211 Posts
"Perhaps it is time for a poll, which would include how long you have had it, and the raw number of repairs which have been performed on it (including recalls)"

+1

·
Premium Member
1,133 Posts
I guess the bottom line is this.......Of all the potential issues with the Lotus how many of them would require an immediate trip to the dealer thats 5 hours away? And how many could i just let go for six months or so until i got back to the dealer and then have them fixed?

Mike
I've had my 2011 NA Evora for almost 2 years, and it has only been to the dealership once, for the 1,000 mile oil change and initial service !

Having said that, just this weekend my A pillar covers, and rear roof cover are loose and bulging, and I need to take it in for some Factory Service Bulletin / Updates, and other minor Warranty repairs, like the faulty door handle, steering wheel click, etc.

I think there are many other Evora owners who have had similar relatively trouble free experiences, but just don't post that.

·
Premium Member
6,240 Posts
I had an early build 2/2010 that needed the hit list to get it straightened out, but mechanically it has been perfect. Not to bust, but i know plenty of track guys with Porsches that have been a real PIA as of late.
Your loss, you could have owned one of the most unique, beautiful cars built today at a GREAT price but you decided to stick with the German appliance. Your car gets parked in the lot, the Evora stays out front with the top shelf.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I've had my 2011 NA Evora for almost 2 years, and it has only been to the dealership once, for the 1,000 mile oil change and initial service !

Having said that, just this weekend my A pillar covers, and rear roof cover are loose and bulging, and I need to take it in for some Factory Service Bulletin / Updates, and other minor Warranty repairs, like the faulty door handle, steering wheel click, etc.

I think there are many other Evora owners who have had similar relatively trouble free experiences, but just don't post that.
Like Don (my 2+0 was built the same month,7-2010). I have just over 3000 miles on the car now. I have had just a few problems.

1. Portable Nav unit replace (it would lock up or restart on it's own)
2. Drain holes in hatch drilled
3. Driver side inside door handle replaced (door lock linkage came adrift from the handle)
4. Driver side window regulator replaced (the window would move around when closed against the rubber seal, and cause a squeaking noise)
5. Dash instrument cluster replaced (the clock would not keep time,it was fast and slow)
That has been it, the car does stay in my garage when not in use, or under a cover when I drive and park outside.
Ron:clap:

·
Registered
5,709 Posts

True. There are probably a very large number of Evora owners without any complaints about their cars not at all accounted for on this forum.

But I'm actually one of those guys that bought this car for use as a daily driver, as it was advertised... No need to elaborate on this--my story has written itself over the 2.5 years I've owned this car, in all the posts I've made about it on this forum. Based on my current usage, by next February, I will have about 36,000 miles on the odo, right around the time my warranty expires :)

My car would be in as good a shape today as Ron's if it had only 3000 miles like his, parked in a cool garage under a felt cover 24-7. In fact, I didn't experience many problems at all in the first 6000 miles. But as my car accrued more miles and exposure to the elements over the course of the last 2.5 years, I've had literally dozens of warranty issues manifest (I've summarized pretty much every single issue I've encountered in my garage page). Ironically, given volume of little repairs I've made (all under warranty), my car most likely has less problems than cars rolling off the production line today. I still have a bit more work ahead of me, but so far the car has been relatively trouble free in the last several of months of driving :clap:

·
likes to drive fast
1,127 Posts
5. Dash instrument cluster replaced (the clock would not keep time,it was fast and slow)
Ron that's not a defect. Has something to do with time tunneling. There are blackholes in LA. Quantum mechanics stuff. I had mine replaced because time STOPPED. I was like "woah!".

Galpin insisted otherwise and replaced it anyway. Now my life is back to normal. Meh.

·
Registered
498 Posts
No, the Lotus would not be my only car. I also have a Porsche Cayman.

I would love to have the Lotus because I think it is the coolest car i have ever seen. Its a big time head turner.

But, I have no automotive and/or mechanical ability. I dont even change oil in the cars i have now. Tinkering with the Lotus to fix minor things wouldnt work for me. Whenever i try and fix something, whether car or home related, i usually make things worse.

I will say if the dealer was 30 miles from me i would have bought a Lotus a long, long time ago!

Mike
My 2 cents on your concerns. I do believe they are valid but in the long run if you are this skeptical you probably should avoid the Evora. My conclusion is based off all your post concerning reliability I am afraid this could become a self-fulfilling prophecy. When I decided to pull the trigger on my Evora I had to mentally prepare myself that the Evora will be unreliable. I expected the worse going into the purchase. I get your concerns I been looking for a clean pre-owned 430 Ferrari and have many concerns with reliability and cost of repairs. My friends 2008 430 Scud needed a new F1 module at a cost of 17k to replace, in the end he got lucky and Ferrari took care of it. The clutch is a wear and tear items and most of the time its not covered under warrantee. I don’t believe a clutch on a new Evora will be a problem unless you purchase a pre-owned car. The majority of us owners are faced with door locking issues, A/C problems, battery and cosmetic issues. We all know LE cars like Squids have had many problems but in the end he still has his car. Good luck with your decision. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,157 Posts
Ron that's not a defect. Has something to do with time tunneling. There are blackholes in LA. Quantum mechanics stuff. I had mine replaced because time STOPPED. I was like "woah!".

Galpin insisted otherwise and replaced it anyway. Now my life is back to normal. Meh.

You guys are dash cluster replacement rookies! My clock kept resetting itself to 14:01. I guess I got the one that wasn't smart enough for quantum mechanics so it settled for mindless movies like Groundhog Day. The replacement was even dumber because the clock, speedo, and tach worked but nothing else. Third one works fine.

To the OP...we could come up with more potential problems...I've had some that haven't been mentioned yet...front hatch didn't latch properly, dashboard rattle, shifter cables replaced, AC drain plugs removed, Sat-Nav is wonky, AC condenser is fine but the button doesn't work, etc. Fortunately my dealer has been great, but the 3-4 hour drive in terrible traffic is not enjoyable. In 6 months of driving (3K miles), it's been at the dealer's 3 times, including a 2 week stay. The third time, the dealer paid for closed transport so I didn't have to take it down or back. As I said, they've been great.

You just have to decide if you love the car enough to accept the potential hassles.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I love my evora but i think "Malaysian owned car company built in England" kind of says it all
:)
If you are near a dealer,have the proper perspective of brit and italian build quality and can deal with some of the issues posted here,then go for it. I lurked on this board for 2 years before buying my 2011 so none of these items are a shock. One day when i have grown older and wiser i will sell them all and buy japanese for reliability. Until then, i value unique, exotic looking and sometimes pain in the butt cars..

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm new to Lotus, but after spending hours on these forums (45 min. bus commute each way), I have to say I've seen lots of 5,6 and 7 year old eliges that still seem to be in great shape. That has to bode well for us.

Too bad alp's LA time tunnels can't be used to get a glimpse of 2022 -- to see how many of our 10+ year-old Evoras are holding up.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
My car would be in as good a shape today as Ron's if it had only 3000 miles like his, parked in a cool garage under a felt cover 24-7.
Now Scott that was a low blow, I don't cover my car in the garage. Just when it is outside, so unless you have some thing nice to say.......
Ronrotfl

·
Registered
545 Posts
I used the car as DD for one year, 12,000 miles insummer and winter conditions, almost faultless. OK, quite a few things solved under warranty, but nothing which ever stopped the car from driving!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts